Macdonald Randolph Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Royal Oxford Hotel(Oxford)
3,419 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamafternoon teadrawing roominspector morseturn down servicenespresso machineexecutive roombeautiful buildingspecial occasionbreakfast servicerestaurant staffcentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Came for dinner after hearing lots of positive comments from friends. Visited originally just over a year ago and left deflated but what a change. Great food, beautifully presented but what an amazing change in the ambience and quality of service. Greeted by Andrew, the manager and he set the tone for the evening. He has clearly got his team trained and motivated and i am sure the positive vibes will translate to accolades and awards in no time at all. Well done Andrew and his team

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your dinner with us here at the hotel. Andrew and the team will be most motivated by your comments. With both Andrew our Restaurant Manager and Simon Bradley our Executive Head Chef in place, the food and service has indeed excelled.

The restaurant does get busy and advanced reservation can be made on our website or direct with the hotel. We offer a wide range of dishes on our set menu at £44.95 as well as various a la carte options.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Met a great bartender in the Morse Bar early May 2014. Chris was so helpful and pleasant when we were on an Insight Tour for 22 days visiting the UK. Even showed us how to correctly use our ipads. We visited many tourist places and Chris was a standout.

Laurene (Australia)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 814Lauren63

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Chris is indeed a real asset at the hotel and is very popular with our guests. Here at the hotel our internet access is complimentary and powered by ‘The Cloud’. Staff are on hand to assist guests should they require assistance in accessing this.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was built in the 1850's and is a typical English hotel. I was booked in as a single and got the 'monk's cell' for a room. There was barely room for me and my luggage and the room contained a single bed lined up against the wall. The bathroom was small and the tubs in England are narrow and tall. Figuring out how to work the shower and not getting the whole bathroom flooded with water is a challenge. The windows can be opened, but need to be propped open with something, otherwise they close. The double room they finally moved me to did seem to have A/C, but I wouldn't count on all the rooms having it. It didn't seem like the single room had A/C. While the hotel is well located across from the University, the staff are pleasant and try to accommodate you, it is not a five star hotel. For the price, I was very disappointed and would not stay there again.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing to write home about. The Morse Bar is lovely, but gets very crowded and then you cannot get a seat. The drinks are overpriced.

Room Tip: Book a double room and ask for one of the rooms looking over the college - Room ending in 2 or 3 such as 202 or 302.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelprincess63

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the hotel. We offer various types of rooms at various tariff structures. We offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and I am sorry that the single option was too small and had maintenance issues that needed attending to.

Here at the hotel we offer comfort cooling in all guests’ bedrooms. These units are normally very reliable and help to keep the bedrooms cool.

The Morse Bar is very popular with our guests and does get busy. We do offer a lounge also in the evening for drinks and have an extensive list available in both outlets. We regularly carry out competitor pricing reviews to ensure we are in line with other establishments and I am sorry you found the drinks to be expensive. The Morse Bar is a doubles bar but single measures are of course available on request.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future where you can be assured of a very warm welcome.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the macdonald randolph hotel.
I briefly mentioned in an email booking that we were staying for a birthday and there were a lovely box of chocolates and a note from the manager to kick off our celebration.
Room was lovely and clean. Very comfy beds.
Location is brilliant. The morse cocktail bar has two brilliant staff members - one Jose and they do make fabulous cocktails. Huge choice!
Only downside is probably the £30 for parking which feels a little pricey.
Also used the spa facilities as I booked my boyfriend in for a massage. We then used the saunas etc which were lovely but £15 each even if you have had treatments.
The concierge service booked us into a great Thai restaurant - Chang Mai which was lovely.
Overall a lovely stay thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your kind review following your stay for a birthday. Oxford is a great city to visit for a short break and we are right in the heart of the city opposite the famous Ashmolean Museum. Parking however is very limited. We charge £28.50 for valet parking and can assist with parking permits for the council car park when we are full which charges £30.00 for 24 hours. The best option is to use the many park and ride facilities and avoid the heavily congested city centre.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

What a treat. My husband and I stayed here for 8 nights and really were pleased with the central location, breakfast buffet and hot cooked breakfast, afternoon teas and the excellent concierge service. Neil Cowen, head concierge, is knowledgeable about the city, tours, and the array of restaurants the city has to offer. Everything is first rate--clean, professional, and welcoming. The small gym satisfied my husband's need for a daily workout and the pub and tea rooms added wonderful atmosphere.

We'd stay there again on future trips.

Room Tip: Room that doesn't face either street are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marie E

Thank you for your kind review. The hotel team will be delighted by your comments. We do have a very knowledgeable concierge at the hotel on hand to arrange items for our guests. The Randolph boasts a beautiful lounge for afternoon tea (pre-booking essential) and houses a collection of Osbert Lancaster paintings.
The spa at the hotel was built in the old cellar and has a mini-gym as well as thermal suite and fully trained therapists who offer a range of Elemis and Jessica treatments.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.