“An Interesting Experience”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife had always wanted to stay here - blame Inspector Morse - so having a business trip we took the plunge. In many respects a time warp with 50's service at 2014 prices. The room was comfortable and pleasantly cool and the service was attentive if a bit too obsequious. One criticism Was that the dinner menu on the second night was the same as the first. This probably reflects that people generally just stay one night but was something of a disappointment.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrw25
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed a traditional hotel in the heart of the Oxford city centre but to offer all the conveniences of modern hotels.

I was sorry that the dinner menu on your second night was the same. We do regularly alter our menus at the hotel and indeed have a very varied set menu and a la carte options.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I am on a business trip in Oxford. I was impressed by the entrance of the hotel,I can see the hotel is full of character.however, I saw a massive spider net hanging at front of the reception, then a broken bed sheet and a broken curtains in my room. I can't believe I am in a 5 starts hotel with that many broken things have not been dealt with. I thing the management need to pay more attention on details to the hotel worth the 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for posting a review. I was extremely perturbed to learn of the maintenance issues and poor linen in your bedroom. We use a very reputable linen company and the team are trained to reject items that are less than perfect. Please be assured that your comments will be addressed and remedial training actioned.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Several months ago I started looking for a 35th wedding anniversary surprise for my wife. Knowing that she was a great fan of Morse and Lewis I thought it would good to celebrate it at the hotel that featured in many episodes. Having read a number of Tripadvisor reviews I was a little concerned that there was a number of negative reviews for this 5* hotel. However I decided to book and wow I was so glad I did. I booked an Executive King room and asked if I could be allocated on with a good view and if possible overlooking the Ashmolean Museum. When I checked in I found that we had been upgraded to a Classic suite, this was only the start of a fantastic two days. The staff were so attentive and the food was superb as was the service. The Morse Bar is small but the cocktails certainly make up for the lack of space. I had read about noise from the street from those guests that had stayed in the lower rooms, we stayed on the 1st floor overlooking Beaumont Street and yes there was a bit of noise but nothing of any consequence, to be honest if you stay in a town location you must expect it, if you don't want noise, then book a country hotel ! My thanks to Michael Grange and his staff, if you want a quality break you could do a lot worse than choose the Randolph !!

Room Tip: Ask for a street view room, I not so sure its so good at the back. Pre-book dinner you save £14 on 3...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor B

Thank you taking the time to post a review and I was delighted that we could be a part of your anniversary celebrations. The hotel is a great destination for a romantic break and within walking distance of the beautiful buildings and historical attractions of Oxford.

I do hope we can be of service to you again and once again Happy Anniversary from all the team at The Randolph

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just spent 2 nights at this magnificent hotel for my mother and Aunts 70th Birthday Celebrations. When we checked in we were greeted by very helpful and friendly staff, and nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms had been upgraded and we were in the new part of the hotel, and to be honest even though a long walk from reception, well worth it as it was lovely and quiet and the rooms beautifully decorated. Everything that we could have ever wanted was there for us. Even a bottle of Champagne and chocolates courtesy of the hotel management which was a really lovely touch. Breakfast on both mornings were delicious and hot, and plenty to choose from the cold buffet. We ate out for both of our evening meals as the hotel is set right in the heart of the city. I did use the Spa facilities whilst at the hotel , and have to say they were very nice and relaxing indeed.
All in all a fantastic stay in a very beautiful hotel. Thank you to Michael the general manager and his team for arranging all the little extras for my family which made such a difference.
We will return again one day for sure. :-)

Room Tip: Room in the new wing at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for kind review following your visit for your mother and aunt’s 70th birthday celebrations. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. The rooms you were allocated are executive grade bedrooms in our Worcester Wing built some 8 years ago. They are a little distance from reception but are more contemporary in style and boast separate showers and large baths.

The spa at the hotel was built in the cellars and offers a Thermal Suite comprising of 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas, a sensation shower and Jacuzzi. We also offer a full range of Elemis body and face treatments as well as Jessica nail options.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Came for dinner after hearing lots of positive comments from friends. Visited originally just over a year ago and left deflated but what a change. Great food, beautifully presented but what an amazing change in the ambience and quality of service. Greeted by Andrew, the manager and he set the tone for the evening. He has clearly got his team trained and motivated and i am sure the positive vibes will translate to accolades and awards in no time at all. Well done Andrew and his team

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your dinner with us here at the hotel. Andrew and the team will be most motivated by your comments. With both Andrew our Restaurant Manager and Simon Bradley our Executive Head Chef in place, the food and service has indeed excelled.

The restaurant does get busy and advanced reservation can be made on our website or direct with the hotel. We offer a wide range of dishes on our set menu at £44.95 as well as various a la carte options.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Met a great bartender in the Morse Bar early May 2014. Chris was so helpful and pleasant when we were on an Insight Tour for 22 days visiting the UK. Even showed us how to correctly use our ipads. We visited many tourist places and Chris was a standout.

Laurene (Australia)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 814Lauren63

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Chris is indeed a real asset at the hotel and is very popular with our guests. Here at the hotel our internet access is complimentary and powered by ‘The Cloud’. Staff are on hand to assist guests should they require assistance in accessing this.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was built in the 1850's and is a typical English hotel. I was booked in as a single and got the 'monk's cell' for a room. There was barely room for me and my luggage and the room contained a single bed lined up against the wall. The bathroom was small and the tubs in England are narrow and tall. Figuring out how to work the shower and not getting the whole bathroom flooded with water is a challenge. The windows can be opened, but need to be propped open with something, otherwise they close. The double room they finally moved me to did seem to have A/C, but I wouldn't count on all the rooms having it. It didn't seem like the single room had A/C. While the hotel is well located across from the University, the staff are pleasant and try to accommodate you, it is not a five star hotel. For the price, I was very disappointed and would not stay there again.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing to write home about. The Morse Bar is lovely, but gets very crowded and then you cannot get a seat. The drinks are overpriced.

Room Tip: Book a double room and ask for one of the rooms looking over the college - Room ending in 2 or 3 suc...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelprincess63

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the hotel. We offer various types of rooms at various tariff structures. We offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and I am sorry that the single option was too small and had maintenance issues that needed attending to.

Here at the hotel we offer comfort cooling in all guests’ bedrooms. These units are normally very reliable and help to keep the bedrooms cool.

The Morse Bar is very popular with our guests and does get busy. We do offer a lounge also in the evening for drinks and have an extensive list available in both outlets. We regularly carry out competitor pricing reviews to ensure we are in line with other establishments and I am sorry you found the drinks to be expensive. The Morse Bar is a doubles bar but single measures are of course available on request.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future where you can be assured of a very warm welcome.