“Not that great”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here once ion this lovely hotel, but looks can be deceiving. The hotel decor is really lovely, rooms are nicely done although quite old and not very clean, there was dust everywhere and quite old dust too. I found the room quite cold and draughty as the old windows are still in place with no double glazing. The noise outside was unreal from 5am onwards . I found the food to be of a good standard and was probably the best part of my stay. Value for money definitly not, bring ear plugs

Room Tip: very very noisy and chilly with the old ratlley drafty windows. The main front side is too noisy to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mariekayali
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I was perturbed that you found the room to be dusty. We have very stringent cleaning procedures and I shall be discussing your comment with my Head Housekeeper. This is the not the normal feedback we receive.

Being a city centre property we do experience urban noise. I am sorry that you were disturbed. Rooms in the main body of the hotel are served by radiators and comfort cooling so I was concerned that your room was chilly. The hotel is almost 150 years old but we regularly carry out maintenance work of our windows and I am sorry that you found them drafty.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Michael Grange

Reviewed 11 August 2014

How this hotel justifies a five-star rating is beyond me. It does not deserve it. The hotel desperately needs a multi-million-pound refurbishment and it needs it now. It is just not worth what it charges.

My wife and I stayed here for my birthday. Normally we wouldn't afford to stay in such a place but we took advantage of the hotel's Winter VIP break. This guaranteed an executive room plus a number of free extras such as chocolates, luxury toiletries, and a nightcap in the bar.

I must say the toiletries looked pretty standard to us, and not luxury at all. Then, we had to remind reception several times about the free chocolates and, for some inexplicable reason, it took three hours for them to arrive in our room.

Worse, the vouchers for the free nightcap took eight hours to achieve, and we only got them because we went down to the reception desk and stood there until they were printed out and handed to us.

On balance, our room was OK, the tea and sandwiches in the lounge were OK, and the breakfast was OK. Does 'OK' add up to five-star quality? Personally, I don't think so.

The common parts of the hotel are certainly not OK either. Mostly they were faded, jaded and pretty scruffy. The staff were also not OK. They seemed untrained and unimpressive to us.

As we checked out, I noticed that £2.00 had been added to our bill. When I enquired about this, I was told it was a discretionary charity donation. I pointed out that, since the money had already been added to our bill, it wasn't really that discretionary.

Wanting not to appear mean in the face of a charity need, I enquired as to what charity I was supporting. The three girls on reception looked at one another in blank astonishment. Not one of them could tell me what the charity was. The £2.00 was removed.

Was the charity in question, I wonder, the board of directors of Macdonald Hotels?

There was worse to come. The final insult came when we were charged £28.50 for leaving our car in the hotel car park for one night.

How hotels like this survive is a complete mystery to me.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 19Steve49

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was concerned you were disappointed with your winter VIP break. This is a vey popular promotion and runs up to 31st March over the winter months. I can clearly see that the benefits of this package have not been allocated to your booking but cannot tell where you made your reservations. Please be assured that we have lots of bookings on this promotion and it is not a normal problem. The team are fully aware of what is included in this popular package. I shall be discussing your comments with the team.

I am sorry the food offering the in the lounge and indeed the breakfast as not your liking. We strive to offer the highest level of cuisine at the hotel and it is disappointing to learn of your comments.

We take staff training and customer service at the hotel very seriously and your comments are not the typical feedback we receive.

With regards to the charity donation, I was perturbed the staff were not aware of the charities and indeed you felt this was not an optional addition. Macdonald Hotels supports Place2be, Chernobyl Children's Life Line, Blythswood Care. At the hotel guests should receive a leaflet attached to their room key card to highlight these. We completely understand that guests support their own charities and this donation can be removed with absolutely no resistance from staff. May I clarify that the donation is £1.00 and not £2.00 as you have stated.

Car parking in Oxford is limited and we only have around 40 spaces depending on the size of guests’ vehicles. We charge £28.50 per night for valet parking and operate hydraulic lifts. The council car park charges £30.00 for 24 hours and we can provide guests with tickets for these, however we do not control the car park and cannot park the cars for guests in this option. Oxford is heavily congested and has restricted access to many roads. The best option and most economical is to use one of Oxford’s many park and rides to avoid coming into the heavily congested city. We highlight this on all our confirmation, website and at the time of booking.

Once again I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay but do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Grange

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Staff very friendly, accommodating and professional, nothing too much trouble for them. Breakfast in abundance and very enjoyable. Rooms could do with lick of paint though. And there should be a note to say what is complimentary in room, would have left our wine and chocolates if I hadn't ask in reception.
Have stayed before, will stay again and would recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank D3nn1
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Have just got back home after an amazing night at the Randolph. The service was beyond compare and nothing was too much trouble. The five stars is well earned. For such a top class hotel there was no snobbery amongst the staff. The room was tastefully decorated with a powerful shower, a huge king size bed, a nespresso machine, an iPod docking station, slippers, robes, molton brown toiletries, air con, and I'm sure we weren't in the best room by any means but it was great. Right opposite the ashmolean museum and the concierge were more than happy to look after our luggage when we booked out. Would we recommend? An emphatic yes. We would suggest using the park and ride though otherwise it's £28 for 24 hours as opposed to £2 plus £1.70 for a single bus fare. The breakfast was lovely and brought to our room too.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After a hard day at the Ashmolean, my wife and I decided to quench our thirst in the Morse bar. The only beer available on draught was John Smiths. Not being a fan of John Smiths due to incompetent keeping by disinterested bar personnel and management gassing it up to oblivion, I ordered a pint with trepidation.

To my amazement the beer was in perfect condition and tasted like no other previous pints: absolutely delicious. The gentleman responsible for this feat was, I believe, named Chris and I would commend him to the management for his beer-keeping skills. The coffee was also of an excellent standard together with the tonic served in a cut glass tumbler. Appetizers in the form of olives and savoury snacks were also welcome. The bar is a must for Morse fans with numerous photographs of John Thaw, Colin Dexter and Kevin Whatley adorning the walls. Don't miss the star-lined photographic gallery of past Inspector Morse actors and various celebrities who have stayed there The perfect end to a perfect day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cherry R
Reviewed 7 August 2014

In Oxford for a few days we thought we'd have a treat in The Randolph, so often mentioned in Morse and Lewis. We had afternoon tea with champagne, the service was just superb from the moment we walked through the front door. The surroundings were beautiful and the tea just wonderful. After tea we retired to the Morse bar for lovely cocktails (served with complimentary nibbles) and had picture taken with Colin Dexters oil painting. It wasn't cheap but you only get what you pay for, and would definitely go again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed for two nights for business in a lovely little single room that was quiet although it was at the front. I have stayed before and like this hotel because it's in a fantastic location opposite the Ashmolean.
Staff are all courteous and helpful.The service is excellent and they put right any problems immediately eg my nightshade wasn't working so the housekeeper replaced it immediately. The toiletries are good quality and they were replenished on the second day. The breakfast is fantastic and cooked to order - I needed a lie down after it as I had been too greedy! I can recommend the porridge.Only problem is the numerous American tourists on a tour were extremely noisy at breakfast,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business