“What more is there to say?”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bristol, United Kingdom
“What more is there to say?”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Five star luxury. Ok, five star prices, but then, not unexpected.

We had an executive room - which meant a separate room with TV so that the wife didn't have to suffer me watching Arsenal stuffing Man City - come on you Gunners!

Ate in the restaurant one night. Paid extra for the chateaubriand. Absolutely fabulous.

Also enjoyed cocktails in the Morse Bar. Lethal. One would have been enough!

Only blip was a sudden stench in the room from the drain system. It was sorted of course but it is the reason I'm only giving a rating of 4. Definitely one to recommend and to go on the revisit-again-one-day list.

Enjoyed the spa too, by the way.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for posting a review. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and felt the hotel lived up to its five star status. We are independently inspected on a yearly basis by The AA. We are the only five star hotel in the city centre.

I was pleased you enjoyed dinner and cocktails in our Morse Bar. We operate a doubles bar at the hotel but single measures are of course available on request.

I am sorry there was a drain smell issue but pleased this was rectified.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife last Saturday as we were attending a dinner party at the Ashmolean - the host said it wasn't cheap, but well worth it if we fancied a treat and right next door to the venue. I don't get to stay in many five star hotels (unfortunately!) but if the service is as good as this in many of them I'd be surprised.

The staff were extremely attentive - taking the key and parking our car, looking after our bags as our room wasn't ready and recommending several places nearby we could get lunch while we waited. On our return we discovered we'd been upgraded to a wonderful room right on the corner of the hotel, with views out over the college next door, a huge comfy four poster bed and enough room to swing (a litter of) cats. Luxury.

The hotel is very centrally located, so easy to walk out of the door and to all of the attractions in Oxford. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we were over in the Ashmolean (which is not to be missed) but the breakfast the next morning was very good - plenty of choice and cooked well.

I rate the experience four stars - not because of the expense (and it is very, very expensive) but because we didn't get a good a nights sleep as the setting should have allowed. The windows could do with a bit more sound-proofing, and as they haven't we were unfortunately disturbed by quite loud music outside until around 3am. Not much fun, but not enough to spoil the experience!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that the team were able to assist you and you found the service to be very good. I am sorry that you were disturbed by music in the early hours. We are a city centre property and do experience urban noise but I fully appreciate that this marred your stay. This is unusual as licenses for outside music are very rare and come with a cut off point to ensure the hotel is not disturbed. I shall be looking into this further.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here in August 2014 and it was a fantastic experience. All of the staff were polite and attentive. The room was superb, very quiet. The staff were helpful with what was on locally. We experienced the evening meal and would highly recommend this; choice, presentation and service were amazing. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. Breakfast is certainly just the right start to the day; relaxed and the choice was vast. Oxford is a very historical city, and is sympathetically balanced with modern facilities too. Our experience was fantastic and a hotel and city we would definitely recommend. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. I know the team will be delighted by your positive comments.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

As an earlier reviewer states, yes, the hotel is in an ideal location to walk around Oxford, but the 'attractions' of the hotel, the Morse Bar and the staircase, can be taken in by dropping in for a drink.
Having stayed at other Macdonald hotels, we really hoped for something just that little bit special, but were sorely disappointed with this offering. Having pre-booked car-parking, we satisfied the concierge that we were indeed on the list and our vehicle was whisked away once our luggage was taken into the reception area. We were travelling from another hotel, as part of a 'Stay-cation', arriving shortly after 1.30pm. At reception, the receptionist completed the check-in process, including a pre-authorisation for my credit card. Once complete, we were told that we had to go away and come back in an hour. There was no suggestion of taking coffee or going for lunch, but rather a brusque go away and come back later. The concierge did take the luggage and had our map of Oxford already open and proferred to us.
With heads spinning slightly, we wandered into Oxford and passed the requested hour. On our return, a second receptionist tried to check us in again, despite being told we had already done so. He returned with the key and cards for a different room.
The room was of a good size, and while it was reasonably well-appointed, it was tired. Fittings and the decor were chipped and worn, but the room was clean. Creaking floors and poor carpentry skills left us feeling that we were sleeping more in the corridor than in the room itself.
Electing not to eat in the restaurant, we returned later and decided to go for drinks in the 'famous' Morse Bar. It is quite small and is sited beside the front doors and rather cramped entrance/reception area.
Be warned, the standard measure for gin/vodka etc., is a double.
This is in small print on the menu, but without spectacles, I had not noticed this and the first I became aware of it was when I was asked to sign for the evening's drinks bill, which was covered with DBL drinks charges. Granted the price quoted was the price on the menu, but a lack of English prevented the bar staff from adeqautely explaining this.
We were somewhat dismayed when the staff continued to serve a rather inebriated guest, who became somewhat agitated when the restaurant refused to give him a table and he eventually stormed out. The staff then felt it good form to make their way around the bar and discuss the guest's personal business with the remaining guests and then amongst themselves at the bar.
Retiring to our room for the evening, I received a phone call from the barman telling me that i could not charge drinks as I had not pre-authorised my card. Having assured him I had, I then felt obliged to get dressed and return to reception to clear the confusion. Having done so, I thought this would be the end of the matter, but alas no.
Breakfast was fine, but you did get the definite sense that you were a nuisance to the staff.
I did speak to the manager on check out, but this too was a bit of a strange conversation. He read out that we had originally tried to check-in at 11:00am. This would have been difficult as we were just leaving our previous destination in Gloucestershire and had stopped for coffee in Burford at 12:15pm! Granted, he deducted £30 from our bill, but it seemed more of an effort to get me out the door, than to identify the cause of my complaint.
Checking out, I had to convince the concierge that I had already paid for my car-parking, producing the invoice as evidence, before getting hold of my keys - apparently, I was registered in another room! I am now waiting to check my credit card bill to ensure I have not cleared someone else's bill, as well as my own.
Overall, a disappointing experience due to human error, rather than the accommodation. The hotel would make a superb 3 star, an average 4 star, but a poor 5 star.

1 Thank BarneyMate
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was to sorry to learn of the shortcomings you experienced. Here at the hotel we offer valet parking and have limited space and I am sorry you felt you had to convince the concierge you had booked and indeed the subsequent issue in leaving after the double check in issue. I can clearly see that the error on reception has caused confusion and please accept my apologies. Our check in time is from 2.00pm but this does depend on how busy we were the night before and if guests check out on time. I am sorry a room was not available on arrival. We do of course have refreshment areas in the hotel and sorry this was not offered as an option.

I am sorry you felt the room to be tired and affected with noise from floorboards. We regularly carry maintenance and indeed refurbishment at the hotel. I was pleased that you found the room to be clean.

We do operate a doubles bar at the hotel and this is communicated on our menus and tariff. All our staff are assessed on their competency of the English language and I was concerned by your comment the bar tender’s English meant he could not explain the double policy to you. The Morse Bar is extremely popular with guests and patrons of the hotel. I appreciate it is not a large bar but still very much enjoyed. With regards to the drunken guest I will be speaking to the bar team. We of course do not want to provide alcohol to guests who are intoxicated.

Again the mistake at reception has caused the issue with the no-posting on your account and please accept my apologies. I will be having the necessary remedial training carried out.

I was pleased the Duty Manager was on hand to assist but sorry you felt your complaint was not dealt with correctly.

London,England
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I found a great deal on Secret Escapes for this beautiful hotel, we had never stayed here before so I thought it would be perfect to book for my mothers upcoming birthday. I emailed in advance to arrange flowers for the room and requesting the best room available at the time. To my surprise when we checked in they had upgraded us to an executive suite!! We were absolutely thrilled. The room is out of this world,with its own private lounge,champagne and beautiful Molten Brown toiletries. The staff are so attentive,every detail is perfect. On the concierge Eric and Mr Cowen were great. The hotel is perfectly positioned in the centre of town,and I would recommend booking the car parking. Overall i regard this to be one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in with its superb service and history. The Morse Bar is great to see if your a fan. Excellent hotel,thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: If you can get upgraded to a suite it is well worth it,they are stunning.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for review. I was pleased you and your mother enjoyed your stay with us and that we could be a part of your birthday celebrations. The hotel is conveniently located and a perfect place to celebrate. The team will be delighted by your comments.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed for one night at the Randolph Macdonald in Oxford and it is a great hotel. It's a real classic but isn't stuffy or unfriendly in the slightest. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. I liked having a cafetiere and some ground coffee as I really miss being able to make coffee in your own room as is often the case when staying in Europe or the US. Very nice to have Molton Brown products in the bathroom.

As I was alone, I wanted to try out the restaurant for dinner. I was going to the theatre and they could have been a little quicker but the food was delicious and excellent value (two courses including a glass of wine for £21). I saw the good reviews about the restaurant on Trip Advisor and was glad I took their advice! Highly recommended. They have smoked salmon on a platter which they carve at the table for you. The staff were very friendly and it was a very pleasant meal.

Breakfast was also good, I got a good rate booking directly with the hotel which included breakfast. They had a full range of cooked options and a good selection of continental pastries, juices, etc.

The hotel is very well located directly opposite the Ashmolean museum - which is well worth a visit. Only a short work to the High Street and the colleges.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We do have a very good Head Chef at the hotel and we are striving for our 3rd rosette. I know the team will be delighted with your comments and do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The staff at the Randolph were amazing from when you first entered the door. Check in was very quick and our room was ready and clean with many ameneties a diverse room service menu and a modern bathroom. Overall it was an enjoyable stay and i would certainly go again

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for review and I was pleased your enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we have welcome you back in the not too distant future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.