“hotel and staff by Joyce Goodwin Cheadle Cheshire”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
“hotel and staff by Joyce Goodwin Cheadle Cheshire”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I have just come back from an overnight stay at the Randolph Hotel Oxford, my daughter and I where met by the head concierge Neal who unloaded our belongings then parked our car, we could not have been treated better had we been royalty, as we arrived early our bags where stored in a secure room until our room was ready, the reception staff where lovely especially Jake, the deputy concierge William was also very attentive, and there is a very nice young man who is training called Kody, Neal saw to everything making sure our baggage was taken up to our room when it was ready, later we went into the bar area where we enjoyed an early afternoon cocktail, served to us by Chris Dave Theresa [this is his Sunday name] what a lovely obliging man nothing was too much trouble, Neal advised on places of interest to visit. the room was very nice and clean,the creaky corridors reminded us of the age of the hotel and added to the character of the building, I would add that all the staff are lovely but unfortunately we did not get to know their names, my memory will be of the very warm welcome from Neal, Chris Dave Theresa, later by William, the evening bar staff, Kody and Jake, well done to those that I have mentioned, without them I do not think the Randolph would be the same, thank you NEAL, WILLIAM, CHRIS DAVE THERESA, KODY,JAKE you have given me wonderful memories, I was also introduced to the hotel manager a very nice person,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joyce G
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Mrs Goodwin Cheadle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know the team and all the staff you have mentioned will be most motivated by your comments.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife is a big fan of Morse and during a recent stay in Oxford we decided to visit the Morse Bar at the Macdonald Randolph Hotel. We went to the bar to order our drinks, however a member of staff asked us to take a seat and said that someone would come over to take our order: that someone was Rafael. We didn't bother looking at the wine list on the table, but knowing what we wanted we asked for two glasses of house white wine. His immediate reply was "Sauvignon Blanc"? We said yes assuming that he was telling us that this was the house white and was it ok. After abut 10 minutes Rafael brought us a bill for £28 which seemed odd as we hadn't asked for the bill. In no time he took it back from us explaining that it was for the table next to us. We were quite relieved as it seemed a bit steep, but we were, after all, drinking in a top hotel!!! TOP TIP RAFAEL - concentrate on what you are doing. In time we finished our drinks and asked for the bill. Imagine our surprise when our bill came in at a similar amount. Upon closer inspection we noticed that Sauvignon Blanc was one of the most expensive wines at £13.50 a glass as opposed to £8.50 for house white. We attempted to explain the error to Rafael, but he was having none of it claiming that we had asked for Sauvignon Blanc. I couldn't begin to list the range of adjectives associated with his behaviour suffice to say that sarcastic laughter, smirking, patronising attitude and being condescending are in there. We asked to see the manager. Very pleasant chap who offered to sort things out. With that he took my wife's credit card (the bill had already been settled) and refunded the money in full. We explained that we wanted to pay for the house white wines which we had originally asked for, but he was having none of it. We left after thanking Rafael most profusely for ruining an experience that my wife had been so looking forward to. We went around the corner to the Wig and Pen for another pre-dinner drink, but things couldn't have been more different. Pleasant staff and what is more the bar attendant suggested that it would be cheaper for us to have a bottle of wine rather than two glasses. Incidentally the bottle of wine was only £7.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david p
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was sorry to learn of your disappointment but extremely perturbed by your personal comments towards a team member in such a public forum. This has caused great upset to the individual mentioned and I am only sorry that after speaking to our Deputy General Manager who apologise and waive the drinks charges, you still felt it necessary to post a personal attack on a member of the team. Negative feedback is never pleasing and mistakes do occur. I will be asking Trip Advisor to remove this comment. An account of your experience you are freely allowed to view, however your need to name the individual is I feel unacceptable on this forum.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

The decor of this hotel is lovely and the staff are incredibly helpful and polite. The location of the hotel is ideal as it is in the city center but the car park is small so you may not find parking in site. We would definitely here stay again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We do have a limited car parking facility with around 40 spaces depending on the size of guest vehicles as we operate hydraulic lifts. We charge £28.50 per night for valet parking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

As a family of 5 (two adults and three teenagers) we were looking forward to another visit to the beautiful city of Oxford. However, this hotel was a disappointment. Not what we expected from a 5* hotel. On arrival (around 8.30pm, not too late) there was no one to help with our baggage to the reception area or to our rooms. We were nearly charged an extra £200 on check-in for any "extras" that we may add onto the bill. The car parking was an extortionate amount for just one nights stay. The rooms were not that clean (stained carpets, curtains, wall makings etc). The shower was very difficult to find a moderate temperature and took a while. And the housekeeping service came around the rooms too early. However, the location was fantastic and the staff were very friendly. The next morning there were more helpful staff (opening the front door for visitors, helping with baggage etc) which was great to see. Maybe we just arrived at the wrong time? I would rate this hotel a 4* at the most. Over priced! Will not be returning.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Asher H
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that assistance was not forthcoming on arrival to the hotel. We always have a manned concierge desk and reception and it is our standard to procedure to offer rooming of all guests. I am sorry this was not the case. I can see the service was not conducive with your checkout experience.

With regards to your bedrooms being dirty, this is not the normal feedback we receive. All rooms are cleaned and checked prior to guest arrivals. Carpets and upholstery are regularly cleaned and any items requiring immediate attention are put into action.

I do hope that you may consider us for a future stay and indeed Macdonald Hotels.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I must begin by explaining that the staff were very attentive and wonderfully professional- afternoon tea was very pleasant and a reasonable price- a nice experience. The interior was once grand but now somewhat tired- the bar area was small and cramped- although I didn't sit there that was what I observed.
It was a nice way to spend an hour but I wouldn't be considering booking into the hotel- the location is superb but not to my overall taste.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diamond280
Thank you posting a review. I was pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience at the hotel. We offer full traditional afternoon tea at a cost of £25.00 per person. We do get busy and pre-booking is essential.
The Bar you are referring to is our Morse Bar which is very popular. I appreciate that this is not large but guests and patrons enjoy this facility in the heart of the city.
The hotel is a traditional property and in keeping with the age of the building and surrounding architecture. We are in the process of finalising our refurbishment and I am sorry that you found the public areas to be tired and not to your taste.
I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.
Berkshire
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, in a fabulous location. We only live 15 miles down the road but stayed as a birthday treat.
At check in, we were upgraded to an Executive Suite (rm25). Fabulous. Spotlessly clean, wonderful service and really felt well looked after.
The staff couldn't do enough for you. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and the team will be most motivated by your comments. Room 025 is a lovely room overlooking the beautiful Ashmolean Museum.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

London
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We visited the spa on a day trip to the city but didn't stay overnight at the Macdonald Randolph. The lobby, spa facilities and the public bar were all wonderfully appointed and we very much enjoyed a relaxing drink after our spa package. However, the spa itself was not what it should have been. Whilst the jacuzzi and saunas were great, the steam rooms (in particular the aroma room) weren't functioning properly, but the main disappointment were the treatments themselves. Unfortunately my partners 1 hour massage started 10 min late and finished 5 min early, and the quality of the massage itself was not high (unfocused and too much talking from the masseuse). My own was better, but not memorable versus most other massages I've ever had. Nit-picking maybe (we did enjoy the visit overall) but given we paid 5* prices, and to give the spa a chance to improve it, definitely worth mentioning! The girls were very nice, but for us, the quality of the actual treatment can be raised. Once it is, this is likely to be the best spa in the area, in an amazing location.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that your treatments did not meet your expectations. This is not the normal feedback we receive for our spa and indeed all the team are highly trained and we offer a full range of Elemis and Jessica treatments and products I will be having my Maintenance Manager assess the steam rooms and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Morse Bar and I know the team will be most motivated.

I do hope that we may be able to be of service to you again in the future.