“Fantastic Hotel, Excellent Staff, Great Service”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Northants
“Fantastic Hotel, Excellent Staff, Great Service”
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We have just returned from a 2 night break at the Randolph, it was amazing!! After a booking mix up with lastminute.com (who were supremely unhelpful) the hotel accommodated all our requests and made sure we were looked after from the moment we arrived in the hotel. The spa was nice although there wasn't a pool, it's quite small with 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas, an ice room, a small hydrotherapy tub and relaxation room. The rooms we were in were very nice, and recently refurbished to a high standard. All the staff were great, the only issue we had was having to wait a long time for breakfast on one morning, when we complained we were offered a free breakfast which made up for it!

• Stayed February 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
Reviewed 23 February 2009

I am a graduate student at Oxford and among the student crowd, the Randoph has a reputation of being fancy and upscale. Knowing also that it is the only five-star hotel in Oxford, I booked a room there for when my parents visited me. It was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

The building is in poor shape. The floors were creaky and the hallway carpets were dirty and worn out. The elevators... well, one was completely broken while my parents were there, and the other one smelled like rotten cabbage. The room itself was tiny and dark, with a view of the kitchen furnaces. It was one of the most depressing places I'd ever spend the night.

There is no wireless connection provided for the guests. Incidentally, this wasn't a huge surprise for us, as they didn't even provide a hair dryer in the room. There is a T-Mobile network (that doesn't even cover the entire hotel). If it fails to work, though, and you've just payed the ridiculous fee of 5 GBP per hour, you're on your own, as the Randolph has no control over whether this network works or over how it bills you. Alternatively, you can use the hotel's computer, but make sure you bring your credit card along. There is nothing for free at the Randolph.

Last, but not least, the service is terrible. The doorman was nowhere to be seen, and the morning we left, there was no one around to even bother to ask whether we needed help with our luggage. The billing process was also a mess. What the reception staff won't tell you is that when you give your credit card to them at the beginning of the stay, they block 100 pounds on it. We checked out of the the hotel four days ago and they still have not released this sum to us. I called them today about it and they told me that they can see the sum is still being held, but they can't tell us when it will be released.

The Randoph was a huge disappointment, over all. I strongly advise you against it. I will certainly never book a room for my parents -- or for anyone else -- at this hotel. I will try the Old Bank Hotel next. It looks much nicer and friendlier.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cocuta
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My boyfriend whisked me away to this incredibly smart hotel for a wonderful anniversary weekend. The staff could not do enough to make sure our stay was memorable. The food was amazing and the whole dining experience made our weekend perfect.

This hotel is ideally located for the lovely shopping in Oxford and well worth a visit should you be considering a trip to the area.

Special thanks to Ben and his staff.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
New York
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I found the Randolph to be acceptable, but not worth the prices they ask. My room overlooked a busy street, and I wouldn't have been able to sleep if I hadn't brought earplugs. Two sides of the hotel overlook main streets, so make sure to ask for a quiet room if you book.
We were also overcharged by about twenty pounds on a bill for dinner in the restaurant. The waiter claimed that the bartender had mixed up our table with someone else's. I would have believed this, had we not been charged for the contents of the minibar in our room despite not having touched it. It's possible that the hotel makes a practice of overcharging, hoping that guests won't read their bills carefully. At the very least, this shows carelessness.
The decor is an attempt at grandiose but falls very short.

• Liked — Central location (flip side of the coin: lots of noise from outside)
  • Disliked — Being overcharged twice, tasteless decor, noise
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Fauvel
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Randolph Hotel for two nights for our 1st anniversary. We thought it was a beautiful hotel and our room was very large with a large bathroom and very large bed, we were on the thrid floor so we had a very good view of the city, we were at the front overlooking the museum, the hotel upgraded us to an executive room which was very nice of them. We did find a few problems, it is supposed to be a 5 star and we could hardly watch the TV as it was all snowy, just as well we were not in the room much, in fairness we did not complain so I guess they would have sorted it out for us, also the bathroom was really cold, it only had a towel rail as heating and it was a very good size bathroom and this was just not enough as it was really cold the first night we were there. Our next problem came the following morning when we took a shower, the water would only come out tepid at best with it turned up as hot as it would go....
Apart from these few small things I cannot complain at all, the breakfast was lovely and the building is truely stunning and in a fantastic location and the staff were really nice and helpfull, also there is valet parking, it is rather expensive (£25) a night but well worth it as I don't think parking in Oxford is easy...
If your breakfast is not included I would recommend Patisserie Valerie, it is so nice and fantastic value for money but beware, it is very very busy and quite small..super cakes!!
Oxford is a truely beautiful city and we look forward to returning there very soon..The Randolph? maybe, yes probably....

• Liked — The bulding
  • Disliked — The not so hot water/TV
  • Stayed January 2009
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I booked a weekend break at the Randolph through lastminute.com, where they had a special offer including breakfast/tea and crumpets/nightcap and use of the spa. I thought the deal was really good value for money as the hotel was beautiful and the service excellent. The rooms, although not very big were traditional and well decorated with a really nice bathroom and all the extras of a 5 star hotel like bathrobes, slippers etc. The lounge area is great for high tea and the breakfast was amazing-good selection and lovely dining area. We went to the spa on the sunday and it is brand new with a thermal bath, saunas, steamrooms, gym and nice changing areas.
The location is perfect, and the hotel were really good about letting us use the facilities even though we were checking out that day.
Overall we had a great experience there, and with the offer it was very good value. I would defintely recommend this hotel to other people.

• Liked — The luxurious feel
  • Disliked — Nothing
Yorkshire
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We stayed here for one night in January mid-week and were very pleased with the stay. Staff were welcoming and friendly; valet parking was efficient and helpful for a city centre stay; room (Number 250) was large and comfortable; breakfast very good.

The room was on the second floor with not very interesting view but made up for that with large comfortable bed, plenty of seating, large wardrobe and bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle. Best of all was the provision of lots of lighting, including an excellent dimmable reading light - so many hotels are gloomily lit these days and not kind to older eyes.

Breakfast buffet included lots of fresh fruits and patries. Cooked breakfast used free-range eggs and regional sausage and was very tasty.

Drinks in the Morse Bar in the evening beautifully served with nibbles - a good spot for a rendezvous with friends. The hotel is centrally situated with shops and restaurants nearby plus all the sights of Oxford of course.

There is also a Spa at extra cost but we didn't have time for this.

The style of the hotel is in keeping with its Gothic architecture - grand and slightly old-fashioned.

• Liked — Large comfortable well-equipped room
  • Disliked — Even with radiators off it was a little warm for comfort