“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Having stayed in various hotels over the years I cant help thinking many leave you wanting either in terms of room cleanliness or service, not so with this particular hotel. The hotel in general was contemporary, well maintained and seemed well run. Breakfast was served in an area of the hotel which was very bright and airy and although not a morning person myself was a very pleasant experience. The location was about 10mins by car into Oxford and suited our needs perfectly. I suppose the 64M dollar question is would I go there again if the need arose....short answer is yes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 718John963

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

After enjoying a day out in oxford we decided to stay and found this place on trip advisor as a near by place! We were really impressed by the look of the hotel and picked that one! The lady who checked us in was lovely ( clearly the only staff member with any customer skills) she sorted us out a lovely room and even gave us a complimentary upgrade!
The room it's self was really nice and of a lovely standard! The room had everything we needed and was very happy with it!
However not much longer later we had a manager knocking on our door askin us about funny smells in the corridor outside! He was very rude and behaved very oddly! We felt a little uncomfortable around the hotel after that as he was walking around still being very odd!
We ate dinner in the restaurant and all though the food was lovely the service was not up to standard! The young boy serving breads to the table spilt oil all down my dress and didn't even acknowledge doin so let alone apologise! When our food arrived it was served by the manager, I mentioned about the oil and asked for a damp cloth so I could try and clean my dress! He too showed no compassion or care and failed to apologise! Disgusting managing traits if you ask me! The least he should have offered to do was pay the cost of it being dry cleaned, it's the right thing to do!
It's a Shame that only one member of staff gave a positive experience in such a beautiful hotel! It should of been an amazing night away but it wasnt!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kellie P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I phoned up to book a hen party and was told by a helpful lady that there were rooms of 3 and that it was fine to book a champagne tasting company to come directly to the hotel. I was then asked to email my details so I immediately did so. A couple of days later, I received an email which said that they do not do rooms of 3 (adults) and that we would have to pay to use a private room for the champagne tasting- none of which was mentioned on the phone. When I rang to speak to a manager, I was told that someone would call me back. No-one did. I then tried again the next day to no avail. Once I did manage to finally get through to a 'manager' he was extremely pompous and terribly rude explaining in sarcastic tones that "our price for the private room is actually very reasonable". My point was that I should have been informed. Apparently, the staff turnover is high so they are not expected to know the details of the hotel and it wasn't their fault that they didn't know that a room for 3 ADULTS (which I made very clear) was not available. Absolute rubbish I say. Obviously, I decided not to book with them and ruin my friend's hen party. If they were that disorganised and rude on the phone, then I can only imagine what the hotel is like. Don't bother...

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank KLT2286
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I booked the honeymoon suite, with a jacuzzi in the bedroom. After 2 hours of having no lights in the room, and at least 5 members of staff trying to fix the issue, I told them not to bother !! The jacuzzi was stuck on until half way through the night, which made the room incredibly hot. I was told it was too late to get any room service at all at 11pm, and I was welcome to come down to get a drink (no food). I wrote an email of complaint, and sent it to the main hotel email address and also the general manager, I had no response. We only had 1 night in Oxford, thanks for spoiling it Hawkwell House. I spent 5 years working in luxury hotels, this hotel advertised itself as one, and is absolutely not one of them.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank mikeyfowler
HHH1865, Manager at Hawkwell House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read about the problems you encountered during your stay, although we have no record of this complaint, we are happy to discuss this further with you and arrange a return visit if warranted. Please contact Tim Spittles, the general manager, to resolve this issue.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I didn't stay in the hotel so my review does not reflect that aspect. I went to the Hawkwell for a christmas meal with work colleagues. The food in the Iffley Blue restaurant was of a very high standard; flavoursome, plentiful and well prepared. I'm looking forward to returning with family in the New Year for a similar experience!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
West Midlands
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at Hawkwell House for two nights in early December for a pre-Christmas/Birthday visit to Highclere Castle.

The Hotel staff were excellent, the room was very spacious with everything you would expect of a good hotel (except for a mini fridge). There was even a pleasant view and although there were several large parties in the hotel over that weekend there was no noise at all in the hotel or from the car park.

There are a couple of lounge areas which were very quiet to relax in after a busy day sight-seeing in Oxford. The food was good in the evenings but the breakfast could have been better. The Hotel was very convenient for the buses into Oxford so we didn’t need to use the car during our stay.

When next in Oxford we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank royshereturn
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This place was easy to get to and was just out of the cbd so we needed to get a bus into town which was caught a few hundred meters down the road. The rooms were nice and staff were very pleasant. Breakfast was included and was quite nice with plenty of choice.
We got it last minute and was very cheap so great value for money for us.
Would definitely use again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple