“Wonderful weekend”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wonderful weekend”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The room was very tastefully decorated, with plenty of room. Had one of the most comfortable sleeps, due to a Tempur mattress. The bathroom was huge, the only downside was they omitted to put a shaver socket in the bathroom, so travel shaver next time! The food in the restaurant was good, with a varied choice and well cooked and presented. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable about the wine and food. The bar staff were happy to serve coffee and drink in the lounge area in front of a lovely fire, finished the evening off perfectly. The breakfast was good, but did take a while to arrive, but the waitress apologised straight away. We took the taxi the hotel phoned to the centre of Oxford, which was £6. All in all a very good experience, and would recommend a visitLooking forward to a return visit in the summer. (Did not use any leisure facilities.pressed in error and can't erase!)

Room Tip: Very quiet on the ground floor,to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
brighton
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Nice hotel, very clean , staff were very good, all in all a very pleasant stay, little bit out of the centre of Oxford but if you use the taxis that the hotel phone it is only about £5 or £6 , ring this company when you come back as we used one of the cabs off the rank and it was twice as much.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gazzaBrighton
Horndean, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for valentines weekend. The room was 308. The room was nicely furnished. The bathroom is slightly small and my 6ft2 partner had to bend under the shower head as it was quite low. The bed was two pushed together but comfortable enough. Reception staff are friendly although on the three occasions we tried to call them prior to our visit we couldn't get through.

The room is quite noisy. You can hear other tvs and discussions from other rooms but no Street noise etc.

The hotel part of the stay was good. However the breakfast on both days was disappointing. I had eggs benedict one day where the hollandaise was burnt and the texture of cheese so that had to be scraped off. On the second morning I ordered pancakes. Two came one of which was black - banana had been placed on top of the black side but soon spotted as I couldn't cut in to the pancake which was solid. The chef is really letting the hotel down sending such substandard food out to guests paying £100 per night or £14 per breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmastartbox
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend while visiting Oxford.The hotel was easy to find and we were welcomed upon check in. The hotel is very nice and we were very happy with our room. It was clean, well decorated and a lovely size. Lovely soft memory foam mattresses too! The location is very close to Oxford, my partner and I like to walk and it took us about 40 minutes down one road, its about 2 miles.

The breakfast was also fantastic, you can order from a menu and they also have a buffet with meats, cereals etc. All delicious.

Would recommend this to anyone who is happy to stay somewhere just out of Oxford

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Having stayed in various hotels over the years I cant help thinking many leave you wanting either in terms of room cleanliness or service, not so with this particular hotel. The hotel in general was contemporary, well maintained and seemed well run. Breakfast was served in an area of the hotel which was very bright and airy and although not a morning person myself was a very pleasant experience. The location was about 10mins by car into Oxford and suited our needs perfectly. I suppose the 64M dollar question is would I go there again if the need arose....short answer is yes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 718John963
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

After enjoying a day out in oxford we decided to stay and found this place on trip advisor as a near by place! We were really impressed by the look of the hotel and picked that one! The lady who checked us in was lovely ( clearly the only staff member with any customer skills) she sorted us out a lovely room and even gave us a complimentary upgrade!
The room it's self was really nice and of a lovely standard! The room had everything we needed and was very happy with it!
However not much longer later we had a manager knocking on our door askin us about funny smells in the corridor outside! He was very rude and behaved very oddly! We felt a little uncomfortable around the hotel after that as he was walking around still being very odd!
We ate dinner in the restaurant and all though the food was lovely the service was not up to standard! The young boy serving breads to the table spilt oil all down my dress and didn't even acknowledge doin so let alone apologise! When our food arrived it was served by the manager, I mentioned about the oil and asked for a damp cloth so I could try and clean my dress! He too showed no compassion or care and failed to apologise! Disgusting managing traits if you ask me! The least he should have offered to do was pay the cost of it being dry cleaned, it's the right thing to do!
It's a Shame that only one member of staff gave a positive experience in such a beautiful hotel! It should of been an amazing night away but it wasnt!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kellie P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I phoned up to book a hen party and was told by a helpful lady that there were rooms of 3 and that it was fine to book a champagne tasting company to come directly to the hotel. I was then asked to email my details so I immediately did so. A couple of days later, I received an email which said that they do not do rooms of 3 (adults) and that we would have to pay to use a private room for the champagne tasting- none of which was mentioned on the phone. When I rang to speak to a manager, I was told that someone would call me back. No-one did. I then tried again the next day to no avail. Once I did manage to finally get through to a 'manager' he was extremely pompous and terribly rude explaining in sarcastic tones that "our price for the private room is actually very reasonable". My point was that I should have been informed. Apparently, the staff turnover is high so they are not expected to know the details of the hotel and it wasn't their fault that they didn't know that a room for 3 ADULTS (which I made very clear) was not available. Absolute rubbish I say. Obviously, I decided not to book with them and ruin my friend's hen party. If they were that disorganised and rude on the phone, then I can only imagine what the hotel is like. Don't bother...

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends