“Nice Oxford Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
cutchogue, new york
“Nice Oxford Hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

While visiting England recently, we elected to stay at the Hawkwell House Hotel on the outskirts of Oxford in Iffley Village rather than in the city itself. This was a very good decision since Oxford in July was overrun by hordes of foreign students - there to study English. We parked our car at the hotel and used buses to get to Oxford (20 minutes) - thus avoiding traffic and parking problems.

We had a lovely room with a sitting area overlooking the lovely gardens as well as a great bathroom. The staff, mostly foreign, was helpful and nice.

The hotel prides itself in having a great restaurant - we went there on our first night - it was good but not exceptional. The menu did not change during our stay. Breakfast, also served in the restaurant, was not great - particularly since the kitchen could not produce any soft scrambled eggs - when ordered, they arrived dry in a preformed circle having been cooked some time before!! On another night, we chose to have pizza and salad for dinner on the terrace outside which was lovely - the sun setting at 9:30pm!!!

Still, this was the right place to stay and, for the most part, we did enjoy it.

Room Tip: Choose 204 on top of the stairs - for those who have problems with stairs, there is an elevator.
2 Thank newsuffolk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
wrecsam
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First impression of the hotel was it must be okay as there was a wedding party enjoying the sunny afternoon on the lawn. We booked in at reception and given a room to the back of the hotel, where we had to open a window to let some air in. I later asked if there was air con but as there wasn't we were offered a fan. Even though we were on the first floor, the ground to the back of the building was high, and had we left the window open, anyone could have crept in during the night.
The room was clean and basic but with no fridge and of course after our four hour journey we sat at the window to enjoy some air for a while. There were three off duty staff sitting to the side of the hotel window talking inappropriately about experiences they have had with clientele not using the seat of the toilet to sit on, and how they would stand on the seat instead, using very graphic language about the smell that was left after them and using language that should have been used in the staff room, and not on the grounds.
II didn't report it even though I felt that I should have as the language was actually coming from the female in the party and not the two male colleagues.
We booked a table for evening meal and along came two members of very polite staff with toasted bread and olive oil to dip the bread in. As I hate the thought of olive oil in this way I told both staff that the very thought repulsed me and yet when my very large flat, tasteless pizza came it was drizzled with olive oil and so I felt that the staff, even though very nice didn't actually listen to you. I tried to drip the oil off and eat what I could, but had to leave a third of it. I told the staff that it wasn't very nice and had oil on it. They asked if we wanted anything else but by this time I just wanted to leave. It cost twenty-eight pounds for a small fish and chips and this pizza and I was disgusted.
Breakfast next day was another experience. The dining room was full because of the wedding the day before and I had to wait for bacon and tomatoes, which by the time it came I didn't want it as I had had some soggy toast that was brought. It was margarine on the table and not butter and I couldn't drink my tea as it was over chlorinated. It was foul.
The milk was warm for the cereal, the fruit juice was reconstituted and not fresh, that too was warm and in way of cold buffet, there was one small table with cold meat and cheese and fruit, which was uncovered. You would be surprised how many people handle the bread to cut it even though there is a cloth to cover it when you handle it. I wouldn't touch it, and left completely unsatisfied.
The next morning we missed breakfast as the TV said that it was an hour earlier that it actually was. I thought that this was GMTV`s fault, but on checking the next day the time was an hour behind again, and so I must assume that this was due to a delayed timer throughout the hotel system. Needless to say, we missed breakfast even though I did phone reception to tell them about the time on TV they didn't advise me.
I have the feeling that the staff are paid to be polite, but obviously do not pay attention to detail and the needs of their guests. Its a job and they are mechanical in their work. I did have a feeling of contact with the local staff, but most of the staff were from other countries and they don't seem to have this close contact that you might have from someone who understands how us Britt's tick.
There is the need for people who are sensitive to peoples requirements and not this off putting insensitive modern method of you are the client, and I am at you service. People who are naturally friendly and not a painted on smile that stands out as being false.
The hotel might be close to the Thames, but the information gives you the impression that it`s a stroll through the three acres of land to the river.

The village of Iffley is lovely even though people park where they want to, that being on junctions. Would I go back to the Hotel. Yes, because of the location, but I would eat elsewhere. Eating out in Oxford costs an arm and a leg, and you have to shop around for smaller cafes and eateries for a bargain.
Do eat out at the rooftop restaurant at one of the museums, expensive, but ever so lovely with the views over the rooftops out into the countryside on a lovely sunny afternoon.

Did I like Oxford. Oh yes. Do go to Christ church college and take a city tour bus. It was lovely to see the graduates walking around in their cap and gowns. They must feel so proud of themselves and so must their parents.
It makes me feel that I should have tried harder at school. Good luck to them in finding the job that they have worked so hard for, it`s a zoo out there trying to find a job when there is so much competition with off shore workers coming into the country to work.

Wendy from Wales.

Room Tip: ask questions before you book
3 Thank john e
Somerset
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked this last November. Our room was small and nowhere to unpack and leave clothes unless on view. Bed so close to wall impossible to walk beside .Supposed to be superior room. Shaver socket did not work and was not repaired over the 3 nights, Restaurant tables too small to put dishes on and felt more like a café with formica tables. Booked into a restaurant in Oxford instead where we did not feel out of place dressed for a special occasion. Waited 20 minutes on 2 mornings for food to be brought. Still awaiting contact from manager.

Room Tip: DO not choose room 410 unless you want to fall over furniture outside bathroom and end of bed. Elm...
2 Thank izziejo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is, in my opinion, the best hotel for those visiting Oxford. It is slightly out of town but access is easy and there is a car park. The hotel has been up-dated to the highest standards and is situated in it’s own spacious grounds. The rooms are spacious, spotlessly clean and quiet. The toilets in the public area were a revelation and rated as ‘The best’ by my wife, I take her advice on these matters, as do most males. After drinks on the patio dinner is from a varied menu well cooked and presented. The breakfast menu deservers a special note. It is many years since I saw eggs Benedict and kedgeree on a hotel with less than 5 stars, both beautifully cooked and presented. All round at least ten out of ten. One of the best four day breaks we have taken this year.

Room Tip: As far as I could see all the rooms were good, no traffic disturbance.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kermit S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The room and breakfast deal was very good value, whilst the hotel is not located in the centre of Oxford it is easy to travel to via bus or cab.
The staff are very friendly and always willing to help.
The room wasn't large, however it was comfortable and clean.
A very nice hotel in a quite location.
The only thing is in summer there is no air conditioning nor a fan.

St, Albans
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here on Thursday 10th July. A lovely bedroom with a beautiful bathroom, enjoyed a good evening meal in their restaurant (good-not great) and couldn't help but be impressed with all the staff and the hotel in general.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel, very clean, tidy, modern and welcoming. Will be staying again in November (for the rescheduled gig).

Room Tip: I had a 'superior' room. Lovely.
1 Thank Duncan Y
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

19 family members stayed at this hotel for the weekend to celebrate a birthday. It was chosen as it was a central location for all those arriving. It turned out to be a lucky choice as it was wonderful. The location was super with local buses into Oxford just a short walk away or the walk along the river into Oxford taking about 35 minutes. You did not notice the distance as there was so much to see taking place on and alongside the river. The village of Iffley is also worth a walk around.
The hotel itself had the ideal layout for our event with the bar and two seating areas where we could all congregate. We organised a family dinner which was also ideally located in a function room off the restaurant and an area was set aside in the lounge for our party following the meal. No one could find any fault with the food or service - and some family members can be quite critical!
Fortunately there was no other function or wedding during the weekend so we did not have to contend with parking problems etc mentioned on any previous reviews.
One lady who booked a single room found that it was located in Elm House with the rest of the party in the main body of the hotel but this was swiftly remedied when an alternative room was requested. Everyone was pleased with their rooms.
We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful who appeared to be happy in their work.
If we have a similar family event we will be booking again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family