All reviews no lift train station biscuits korean restaurant complimentary fruit said business school bottled water city centre street noise convenient location five minute walk beds were very comfortable first floor large bathroom good size decent hotel double glazing
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at The Royal Oxford Hotel on the 21st January for one night. We arrived about 12.00 midday and the reception staff were very pleasant and said that we could leave our luggage with them while we went off to explore. We arrived back at about 5.00 and made our way to our room. I had asked for a quiet room and it was indeed very quiet, right at the back of the hotel, away from the hustle and bustle of the main road at the front. It was decent size twin room with a large bathroom and it was lovely to have some complimentary water and fruit. A lovely touch. Here comes the negative! We had booked breakfast for the following morning at the adjoining Cafe Coco. With it being our first time in Oxford, we didn't really know how easy it was going to be to find somewhere that did breakfast so we thought we would play safe and book it. How very disappointing it was. We ordered scrambled egg and bacon. Unfortunately, the egg had been burnt and the bacon had obviously been cooked in the microwave! No crispiness whatsoever and very fatty. We couldn't eat any of it. On checking out, we did express our disappointment about the breakfast, bearing in mind the hotel had been perfect. The reception staff informed us that the restaurant next door wasn't linked in any way to the hotel but that they had an understanding with the cafe that if people wanted breakfast, then they would book them in. I do think that if a hotel is going to take peoples money for breakfast, they should make it their business to know that the breakfast they are providing is a good one. This clearly was not! We would definitely stay at this hotel again but would steer clear of the Cafe Coco, especially when there are so many other fantastic eateries within a stones throw!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and you will be rewarded with a room towards the back of the hotel, away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2012

First, having been to Oxford before, I know how difficult procuring accommodation here can be, particularly if it's a high travel period. There are plenty of bed and breakfasts around, but in my experience, the variance between B&Bs in terms of comfort and service makes it difficult to book something and know what you'll be getting. So for this trip I decided to go the hotel route, which are somewhat few in Oxford and spread apart, so if location to the city centre is a requirement, I found that there are very few choices.

With that in mind, I found the Royal Oxford Hotel's location, service, and overall experience very good. Our receptionist was very friendly, efficient and accommodating, our room was spacious and clean, and we had a very comfortable stay. As others have said, the location is extraordinarily convenient. There also seemed to be a significant concern for security (as others have said, you give your key to them when leaving the premises, after a certain time you must be buzzed in by the night porter, etc), but my wife and I felt safe the entire time and did not experience any difficulties in that department.

The building appears to be mid 1930s or early 1940s construction and oddly neo-classical; it appears a bit at odds with the rest of the area which I would think was intentional in its design. As the building is not new, the rooms are not modern, stylish or what have you, but they do have charm and the cleaning service does an excellent job in maintaining it. As such, I found the hotel very charming and comfortable and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel due to its location, cleanliness, and service.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Gabriel Z
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Comfortable stay overall. Needed a place for two nights in Oxford, this was a central location and convenient for me. Good staff, restaurant serving evening meals, I ate here both nights and found service calm and the food tasty. Would use this hotel again if I have to repeat my visits to Oxford in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our welcome receptionist Evgeniya was very helpful and friendly. The beds were comfy and the location was very convenient to the bus station and all downtown sites. Would definately recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

From the minute we walked in the door, we were treated with courteous, efficient service by the staff at Royal Oxford. I asked for an ironing board and it was delivered to my room in literally two minutes. The room was relatively spacious compared to other rooms in the U.K. (especially in London) that I have stayed in. The bathroom was modern and the showerhead powerful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple