“Staff here are probably the best in England” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Oxford Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Oxford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Berkshire
“Staff here are probably the best in England”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have stayed in Oxford on several occasions at different venues and I have come to the conclusion that all accommodation is overpriced in this city. For a couple, this hotel's rates are actually quite reasonable but for a solo traveller there is such a small discount that I expected much more luxury (I paid £120 for a Friday night and £142 for a Saturday night). I chose this hotel because it is so close to the train station. On arrival in the small but gleaming lobby, I was amazed that both receptionists stood up to greet me and this high level of courtesy continued throughout my stay. You feel they really do want you to enjoy your stay rather than just repeating the usual platitudes. One insisted on carrying my bag up to my room and explained all the amenities which was very useful. The room was spacious and spotless but the decor I can only describe as tired and dull. The same with the bathroom - there was certainly room for a separate shower but it only had a shower attachment over the bath. The power of this was fine but the holder was not strong enough and it fell off several times during my shower. I didn't complain to the management as the staff were so lovely about everything else! The complimentary bowl of apples and oranges and the daily newspaper were a nice touch and there were plentiful supplies of tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc. I had asked for a quiet room and was given one on the inside 'courtyard' overlooking the air conditioning units. This was actually fine as the hotel is not in a picturesque area and the rooms overlooking the street would get all the noise from the very busy nightclubs opposite. The only downside of my room's position was that I could hear everything in the next room but I expect the walls are this thin in all the rooms. Breakfast was included in my rate and this was served in the restaurant which dominates the front of the building. However, it was a bit surreal to have to walk through a closed snack bar to get to it. Hot dishes were cooked to order and were excellent. For those who did not pay for breakfast in advance, the prices looked quite reasonable - £7.50 for a Full English - but this probably did not include the selection of cereals, juices, pastries etc. that were included with mine. A bonus is that breakfast is available until 12 noon for those who want to sleep in. The city centre is a ten minute walk away or there are frequent buses. Bus fare is only £1 within Oxford so it is much better than taking a taxi late at night as some drivers will rip off tourists by taking the long way round the confusing traffic system. Except for the disappointing decor, I really enjoyed my stay here. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again because of the amazing staff but I would hope to get a better deal on the price next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you do not want the noise from local nightclubs.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank willow26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Room was decent with free water and snacks. Bed was quite comfortable. Within ten minute walk of city centre. Cheap enough compared to other offerings in Oxford. Would stay here again for its value and cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank A1js23
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Spent one night at the Royal Oxford on business. Walking distance from the train station, bus station, and central Oxford. Comfortable room, good bathroom, though my room was quite noisy given I has directly over the street intersection. Very friendly and helpful front desk staff. The hotel breakfast was great. Quaint hotel that would be good for couples or business travelers.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street intersection if possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank drjohnd
delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night while on business in Oxford and was thoroughly satisfied. It's just a few minutes from the railways station, the staff were friendly and professional, plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits in the room, good power shower, free and fast wifi, clean rooms,comfortable beds - and the staff bought me an extra heater, which worked perfectly. The breakfast the next morning was cooked to order and delicious.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pari786
Edinburgh, sometimes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

A perfectly reasonable hotel which is 2 minutes from the railway station and near a number of reasonable restaurants and pubs. The rooms look a little tired but you get (unexpected) fresh fruit. Breakfast is served in a ground floor premises which also serves as a bar and restaurant in the evening. It was good, although service was patchy at times. Free wifi in the cafe.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cziwkga
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My boyfriend and I just visited this hotel for our anniversary of three years - having never been to Oxford before and wanting a change, I chose one close and easy to find through google map deduction. This hotel was so close to the train station, and a nice building to lay your eyes on from the outside - literally three footsteps from the station and into the warmth. The entrance is the restaurant "Café Coco" entrance, and their actual reception is tucked round the corner, and although this striked me as weird at first, it made it easy access for returning back to the hotel after being in the city centre instead of having to round the corner of the whole building.

The staff were impeccable - after easily explaining to us the ins and out of security and comfort, the lady at reception showed us a map and pointed out places to visit, shortcuts and restaurants which we found very useful. She offered to take our bags and that was a very nice gesture, although we weren't carrying much. On other occasions where we'd meet with the staff -- before breakfast, upon returning from being out on Oxford, they were polite and asked us how our day was, if we needed help with anything. Definitely top quality staff.

As for the room, we had one at the front and although others would not like having the road directly in front of them, we found it added to our experience and managed to capture a good shot of the traffic and the lights at night. It was never too warm or too cold and very easy to relax into, nice to come back to from the cold outside! None of the colours were too clashing and the little details were lovely, from the lights on the walls to the fruit bowl and the cute set of drinks and biscuits. We anticipated coming back to the hotel and looked forward to it after being out in the cold during the day.

I have noticed others were not satisfied with the Café Coco breakfast and I have come to disagree - their service wasn't as good as the hotel's, sure, but it is an aethestically pleasing restaurant and offers a variety for breakfast (although the menu differed slightly from the one kept in the hotel room) I feel the breakfast was actually quite nice, and my boyfriend had the full english on the last day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall this hotel was very memorable and in a good location for what we wanted - close to the station for carrying out bags, also close to the sightseeing tour (which I wouldn't recommend!) as well as a short, five minute walk along the roads either side of the hotel before reaching the city centre and the attractions. It looks beautiful, is decorated wonderfully and would definitely be a good stay if we were to come back in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Amazing hotel, great friendly staff. I had an issue with overbooking 2 rooms instead of just one. No hassle whatsoever, put customer first. Room is family room which is more spacious than the last stay. Clean and very tidy, beds very nice and clean linen. Complementary apples and water. Nice and warm considering its -5 outside. Will book again for next year when we leave.

• Stayed February 2012