“Marvellous and very friendly hotel in the middle of Oxford”

Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 23 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed here in mid December as part of company Christmas celebrations.
I walked from the railway station and it takes 20 to 25 minutes. The main entrance is tucked down a side street so keep you eyes open for that little trick.
Check in was quick and easy by welcoming staff. My room was on the small side and very hot. The a/c unit was whirring away to itself but turning the setting down made no impact on the temperature so despite it being mid December I had the window open to cool things down. The bathroom was clean and everything worked ok, and the water was hot.
We did not dine there in the evening, but on our return to the hotel we spent some time in the bar and although the team were friendly the service was a bit slow - we were the only ones there but it was gone midnight. My bed was very comfy and I slept like a log which is I suppose the acid test.
Breakfast was functional but enjoyable as I sat next to the window watching the morning arrive in Oxford High Street.
Price is reasonable for where you are.
A good hotel, and I'd stay there again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Martin W
Thank you for your constructive feedback , following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel in Oxford.
I was pleased to learn that you liked the hotel and will return in th future, we look forwrd to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I spent 5 nights here in December 2013. My family and I had stayed here a year ago also. If you want to be in the center of Oxford but have a quiet room to sleep in at night, this is a great place. I could walk everywhere in Oxford including the colleges, shops, restaurants, museums, Christ Church Meadows for running, and Oxford Castle.

The breakfast is a very good buffet with very fresh breads, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, plus you can order hot dishes from a menu. There is also a nice lobby with big, comfortable chairs where you can sit and read and have a cup of tea. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room. There can be a big difference in the size of the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear LynnDB

Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay with us at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel frequently when it was part of the MacDonald chain. It is now in the Mercure chain. The rooms are as they were. The prices have doubled. Only the bar and restaurant areas have been upgraded. Unfortunately, with so few hotels in the centre of Oxford, those which are there can inflate their prices. A good Mercure hotel in France, eg in Nice, costs around £90 a night. In the provincial town of Oxford, they charge £200.

We got off to a bad start. Reception messed up our reservation, which was simple enough - one double and one single for two nights. It took three Emails and one long distance telephone call to get it right. It would have been easier on the telephone had the young lady had adequate English language skills.

On arrival, I explained at reception that both rooms should go on one bill as the lady occupying the single room was our guest. Despite this, the receptionist thrust a form at our guest asking her to sign an undertaking to pay all her expenses. I protested. He insisted it was "hotel policy". Totally unacceptable.

The room was OK. We had a fridge - empty and dirty. In the bathroom, the towels were dangling over the lavatory bowl and there was nowhere else to put them.

The Tripadvisor comments pages are full of apologies and emollient assurances from the manager, but nothing seems to be put right and the same comments and complaints recur. Mercure should get a grip of this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dearv enarque_9

Thank you for yourfeedback following your stay with us.
At the outset ,please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you highlight .I can only apologise that your reservation was incorrect at the time of check in. In relation to your guest I am unaware of any such disclaimer documentation which could have been given to her , the only documentation we use is a registration form which must be completed for all guests. I will investigate this further.
The matters highlighted in your room will be reviewed with our Housekeeping Team.
In relation to pricing ,we believe we caharge a fair rate within the Oxford market. As you are aware demand in the city is high , but I would point out that operational costs are also higher than in many uk provincial cities. I cannot comment on the price comparison you make with Nice.
Since the time of purchase selective investment has taken place at the hotel, including bedrooms.
Thank you for your comments and I would welcome the opportunity of meeting with you and discussing this further on your next visit to Oxford.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

As other reviewers have stated, the car park to this hotel is almost impossible to find, and despite commitments on here from the management to put signs up - there still are none & no useful directions on the hotel website. Poor.

Matters got worse very quickly, we were checked in & sent off to our room - the key opened the door & surprised the poor man asleep in the bed who had checked in earlier! We went back down to reception, who assured us that their system wouldn't allow that - unless someone was careless! As a frequent traveller it is completely unacceptable that hotel systems allow this to happen, particularly as there are no safes in the hotel to secure valuables. Having listened to the reservation staff I remain unconvinced that this couldn't happen again. Totally unacceptable.

Our "new" room 216 was small & no better than ok. There was no blind in the bathroom, although the brackets were there, which meant that the rooms opposite had a view into the bathroom (only the bottom two panes of glass were frosted).

The good - the lounge was nice & the location is very good.

On check out I was expecting an apology & possibly some gesture - none came!

I cannot recommend this hotel & will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Robh9999
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Robh 9999
Thank you for your comments in relation to your stay with us.
At the outset please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you highlight.
In relation to the first room allocation , this was a genuine error ,we have systems in place to ensure that problems such as this do not occur. These were not adhered to and this receptionist has been repremanded.
The missing blind in the bathroom has been repaired and replaced.
Cost s have been received from the Council in relation to directional signs and this should be in place by January.
Thank you for your positive feedback on the lounge areas.

i do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to re-visit ,hopefully my response will re-assure you that we are concerned when guests expectations are not met.

KIn Regards