“Eastgate adequate but expensive”

Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just spent a couple of nights at the historic Eastgate while I attended a conference in Oxford. The food was good as was the service. But if I had brought my cat with me I would not have had room to swing it in the room I was allocated. Nor was there any provision for leaving a case except on the telephone table. There was just room to climb into bed on one side and that was all. Other guests told me their rooms were bigger but we were all charged the same price - £117/person/night which was advertised as a discounted rate because of a deal with the conference organisers. It seemed expensive to me but I suppose as a delegate to the conference I was regarded as a "captive audience" there to be exploited. As I say it was adequate in other respects but I did not come away thrilled with my stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank david r
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear David r
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel .
On a positive note I was pleased to learn that you found the hotel to be of an adequate standard albeit ,your were not thrilled.
I was sorry to learn that your room was not as large as some of your fellow conference delegates.Please be assured that we do not , with any of our guests take a view that we have a captive audience.Our clients always have a choice and with this in mind we price our rooms fairly.Being an old building the rooms vary considerably in size,but they all ahve the same amenities.
Hopefully you will return for next years conference and leave more impressed.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Eastgate Oxford

Reviewed 8 January 2014

After a four night stay over the New Year: We simply loved our room on the second floor. It had the most comfortable bed, a nice clean bathroom and four windows facing the Examination schools. It was quiet and peaceful. We found the fridge hidden in the cupboard under the TV useful and enjoyed the fact that there was room for both of us to sit around the small table. We did not use any fascilities in the hotel as it was so close to walk to the cafés, pubs and restaurants. If I was to come back to Oxford I would very much like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hella_10

Dear hella_10

Thank you for your very positive feed back following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Oxford.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

You can't beat the location of the hotel and the room was clean but a little dated. The bathroom was big and both rooms had a lot of natural light. On the downside there was noise from the restaurant downstairs (from the music as the place didn't appear to have a single customer during our entire stay... ok, maybe 1 in 2 days) and from other rooms as the wall were thin and the floors were creaky. We found a great deal on trip advisor which made this a good value purchase for the location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mattew
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at th Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
Whilst like many hotels in early january we were indeed a little quieter than normal, I am only sorry that you were disturbed by the music from our Restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Oxford in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Mercure Eastgate Hotel is located brilliantly, just a 7 minute walk from the high street and 10 minutes from most colleges. If one comes to pick up/drop off bags for students, this hotel is located well for that to happen. The parking can be a bit tedious if one comes with cars, but otherwise nice. The breakfast was really good, with a wide variety of cold foods on the buffet, however I did miss the option for warm buffet food when I went, and if I remember correctly, but that aside, the breakfast was really nice! The rooms are nice, nothing out of the ordinary, but still nice, and good sized rooms, plenty of space to get ready. One time, the noise from the street came into the room a bit too much, but that's the only real negative.
The reception can become a bit crowded during the high season, and during graduations etc, so get there early!

All in all, good hotel and good location!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Aroraair,

Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

iain Waite
GM

Reviewed 3 January 2014

In line with many of the other reviewers, the real bonus of this hotel is the location. Having said that, the staff were great, the service we had was fine and the room was fine too - we had 317 which is in the attic and no other rooms either side which was a bonus. The shower was a bit dodgy and the towel rail heater didn't work but we weren't bothered much by that. We were staying over New Year and didn't want to have a meal in the restaurant or go out so we bought a picnic from M&S and the hotel kindly gave us plates, cutlery and nice white napkins so we could smarten up our feast and with a bottle of champagne and the luxury of watching telly in bed, it was great. The breakfast is fine - nothing exceptional but good and in our case, if we booked it the night before we got a £5 reduction on the cost. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it. By the way, the car park entrance is alongside the hotel and I cannot say we had any problems finding it.

Room Tip: we liked 317
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lucyaspinall,
Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay with us over the New Year Period.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your own special New Year celebration.

Iain Waite
GM

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Mercure is very conveniently located next to Oxford University's Examination Schools. Stayed here while attending a workshop at the University. The room I stayed in had a twin bed which, I think, can be considered as relatively spacious. What I liked most, however, was the breakfast -- in particular, their ham, cheese and onion omelet which was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank shushiii2015
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Pichamon Y

Thank you for you positive feedback following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hotel facility is nice enough, perhaps a three-star level on accomodation merits, but the location just off High Street, near Magdalen and Merton Colleges is ideal. I am a devoted student of the life and writings of C.S. Lewis, and he and the Inklings have a great deal of history here. For me, that makes this landmark establishment a destination. Lewis fan or no, the location alone makes this worthy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JA M

Dear JA M

I was pleased to read your comments .

Welook forward to welcoming you back in the near future.