“A disappointment..”

Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Dudley, United Kingdom
“A disappointment..”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked this hotel as something different for our anniversary. I paid £169 for a double room (NOT including breakfast), which is a little over what we would usually pay.

When we got to the room it was not like I expected, it was very small to the point when we opened the door it skimmed the double bed. We had to then shuffle round to get past the end of the bed and the TV stand. The bathroom was nice and clean but lacked any luxury that you may expect for the price.

The door did not lock properly do we used the chain that was available. We were woken up at 8am the following morning due to other guests doors banging very loudly. You would think that they would do something to prevent this.

We paid £15 per day for a "valet" service car park but we didn't see a valet at any time.

We did not complain at the Time as maybe I thought my expectations were to high. But looking back I have since emailed my concerns.

It is on the other hand located in the middle of Oxford and in a great location. (I understand that some of the price would be due to this) although our room view was overlooking the back of other buildings...

It will not be a hotel that I will be recommending to anyone, which is a Shane as the reception and staff are lovely and welcoming.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room that is pictured in the standard double else you will end up with a minia...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayleigh J
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Kayleigh J.

Further to our telephone conversation earlier this week.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced whilst visiting the hotel last weekend.

As discussed when you are next planning a visit to Oxford ,please contact us directly and we will ensure that you have a much improved stay.

kind regards

Iain Waite GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Penicuik, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had a nice time staying in this hotel for 3 nights, the bar did nice cocktails and drinks. The staff were very friendly and the location was great, very central. The room was a little small but that didn't bother us because we didn't spend much time in the actual hotel as we were out and about all day

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear KirstyMason

Thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind regards

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Visiting Oxford with friends whose granddaughter was at Christchurch college, we checked into the Mercure for two nights having booked 2 superior rooms for the four of us. The receptionist asked whether for £15pppn we would like to upgrade to their 'privilege' rooms. Why not we thought, the weather was grim outside a little bit of extra luxury wouldn't be amiss. Well could I advise any of you that might consider doing the same - don't bother! Our room was smallish and the added luxury was just a bathrobe/slippers each, a bottle of water and a newspaper. Our friends had a similar room but radiators weren't working, ditto a lamp, a broken hook in the bathroom and they had the pleasure of clanking dustmen outside thrown in for good measure. Complaining, they were swapped into another 'privilege' room which was twice the size, had a proper bathroom with a window, and heating! So moral of the story, if you do decide to go for an upgrade, check the room first. All 'privilege' rooms aren't a privilege!!!

Room Tip: Check the room you have booked for the money you have paid.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Teresa M
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Teresa M

Thank you for you feedback given via trip advisor.

At the outset ,please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you highlighted in relation to your accommodation. The maintenance issues you raised are unacceptable and I will address this with the Housekeeping Manager. In relation to the size of the rooms these do vary greatly given the style and age of the hotel, however as a rule the privilege rooms are generally the larger rooms .

Once again , please accept my apologies for the aforementioned and I do hope you will revisit the Mercure Eastgate Hotel,whereupon I will personally ensure that you have atrouble free stay.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

A little late in reviewing !! Stayed at the Eastgate for a 3 day break over Christmas, we did upgrade to the suite, and could not fault the size of the room, as others have, the whole break was just fantastic, from start to finish, esp the staff, who work so well as a team, the food was just right.
The room was set for some else that needed more beds, but that was dealt with, and was packed away as soon as we got to the room.
Very old buildings,we're not perhaps built to be hotels,so I find it a little odd that people get annoyed about room size,a nice modern hotel may suit you better,
We shall be back in December to enjoy another Christmas at the Eastgate.
The location is good to walk into the city centre.parking a bit of a bonus for a city centre hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about the room size when booking, if your taking your cat!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gordonweller
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Mr Weller

Thank you for kind comments posted on trip advisor.
I was pleased to read your comments following your stay over the Christmas break.
We look forward to welcoming you back in December ,if not sooner.

iain Waite GM
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I staid at the Mercure Eastgate in Oxford for one night in January 2014.

On the bright sides, the hotel is very centrally located. The room was nice, the showers were working properly (not a given in this town), and the breakfast was excellent.

Unfortunately, the room was not ready when it should have been. Moreover, it had not been properly cleaned. The bathroom in particular could have used a much more thorough cleaning. Service was poor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JCD32
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Jens D

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

At the outset ,please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you detail in relation to your bedroom. This matter will be addressed with the Housekeeping Manager.

Thank you for your positive comments on all other aspects of your stay

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just spent a couple of nights at the historic Eastgate while I attended a conference in Oxford. The food was good as was the service. But if I had brought my cat with me I would not have had room to swing it in the room I was allocated. Nor was there any provision for leaving a case except on the telephone table. There was just room to climb into bed on one side and that was all. Other guests told me their rooms were bigger but we were all charged the same price - £117/person/night which was advertised as a discounted rate because of a deal with the conference organisers. It seemed expensive to me but I suppose as a delegate to the conference I was regarded as a "captive audience" there to be exploited. As I say it was adequate in other respects but I did not come away thrilled with my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank david r
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear David r
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel .
On a positive note I was pleased to learn that you found the hotel to be of an adequate standard albeit ,your were not thrilled.
I was sorry to learn that your room was not as large as some of your fellow conference delegates.Please be assured that we do not , with any of our guests take a view that we have a captive audience.Our clients always have a choice and with this in mind we price our rooms fairly.Being an old building the rooms vary considerably in size,but they all ahve the same amenities.
Hopefully you will return for next years conference and leave more impressed.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 January 2014

After a four night stay over the New Year: We simply loved our room on the second floor. It had the most comfortable bed, a nice clean bathroom and four windows facing the Examination schools. It was quiet and peaceful. We found the fridge hidden in the cupboard under the TV useful and enjoyed the fact that there was room for both of us to sit around the small table. We did not use any fascilities in the hotel as it was so close to walk to the cafés, pubs and restaurants. If I was to come back to Oxford I would very much like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hella_10
Dear hella_10

Thank you for your very positive feed back following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Oxford.

Kind regards