Mercure Eastgate Oxford
US$228
US$153
US$144
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Breakfast included
US$160
US$155
Official Site
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$88
PremierInn.com
1,170 results
All reviewshigh streetcar parkprivilege roomexamination schoolsmarco pierre whitemerton collegeold buildingcentral locationthird floorper dayexcellent locationeggs benedictwithin easy walking distanceon site parkingbreakfast was excellenttwo night stayno lift
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed for a weekend with my husband. Hotel rooms were a little tired and in need of a spruce up. Staff very accommodating. Out room was facing the front of the hotel and near the high street so traffic noise was quite bad at times. Location in itself was superb as it was close to all Oxford has to offer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear kelly G

Thank you for your feed back following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hiotel.

Your comments on the rooms condition has been noted,we have an on going improvement programme which should address these issues.

Thank you for yourkind comments on the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

In for the night, single room £165. That's a lot of money. It has a half-bath and no shower.
Bath too small for a 6'3" man, no shower. NO SHOWER.
No advance warning at the desk, a miserable £15 rebate on the room price.
The hotel should be investigated by the star-rating agencies. Every room should have a shower at the very least, it's part of the basic.
You just don't do that to your guests.
Beware.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Myself and my wife traveled back to my home town for a pre wedding anniversary celebration, & some xmas shopping. We have stayed here before, & the location is perfect. Room this time was also excellent, and we will definately be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear 69 Karoke

Thank you for your positive feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having stayed at other Accor hotel's brands which can be rather clinical, it's nice to stay somewhere with a bit of character for a change, although that does have its downsides as other reviewers have noted. Thankfully having requested a larger sized room on my booking, I was indeed given one with plenty of room to swing a cat and a generous bathroom too. According to the flre exit floor plan I could see that there are indeed a number of much smaller rooms. The furnishings were reasonable although not the most modern, good sized TV with excellent selection of channels, and all fixtures and fittings seemed to be working included the heated towel rail in the bathroom. Generous supply of toiletries. Room temperature was OK - it soon got hot with the radiator on but easy to turn it off. Free wifi in the room worked well and bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows.

I paid an extra £10 to try out the breakfast. Continental is a nicely laid out buffet but you have to order anything hot, and I was asked if I wanted a cooked breakfast before I had a chance to see the menu that had kippers on it which I would have preferred. The porridge I ordered at the same time arrived after about ten minutes together with the cooked breakfast. The host did at least ask me if I would like them to keep the breakfast warm while I ate the porridge, but then forgot to bring it to me when I had finished so I had to find him to ask for it. Nevertheless the service in the almost empty restaurant was polite and efficient apart from that. Slightly intrusive eclectic background music typical of Accor hotels - maybe they're trying to make you think it is 'tres chic'.

The location is excellent for the city centre and about 15-20 minutes walk from the station (or by frequent direct bus to a stop just 2 minutes away). But the old buildings that comprise the hotel are not very well sound proofed and although just off the main High Street, I was woken several times by loud traffic, street cleaning machines and bin emptying trucks at all hours of the night. The secondary double glazing helps keep the rooms warm but is not good at keeping the sound out. Maybe there are some quieter rooms - but you might end up with a smaller one!

I paid £40 for the Sunday night through the Accor Hotels LeClub Happy Mondays deal. Very reasonable price but I wouldn't have been happy if I'd had to pay the more usual rates of £150 upwards!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger quiet room as far away from the main street as possible, hope you'll be lucky!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MikeWReading
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Mike W.

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the hotel.
You make some very constructive comments which we will address.
I was pleased to read your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.