“Should be doing better”

Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Lefkada, Greece
“Should be doing better”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in 2012 and again more recently on 4th May 2014 and I really like its location, the building and its atmosphere. The staff are very friendly and welcoming too ...but it lets itself down badly with the lack of good management and organisation, particularly in the restaurant. Link this to the price you pay and the generally poor sized bedroomsand no wonder it often seems to disappoint its visitors.

On specifics the reception staff were first class, helpful and friendly. I really like the style and design of the reception area and all the formalities were handled well. But if you are on the third floor as I was you will have to lug your case from the second floor where the service ends.

The room was small but adequate for my single needs for one night but not worth the price of 154 pounds including breakfast. When I went for breakfast next morning it was very disappointing. There were clearly staff shortages but those that were there seemed to be unable to remember to deliver the simple tea/coffee orders despite reminders from a number of guests. The meal itself was okay but it should have been a much better experience and ended up overall a poor one.

I do not recall seeing a manager on duty at any stage reassuring guests or keeping an eye on the operation. It was all left to the staff who in some cases were clearly inexperienced.I find this surprising given it is the Mercure Hotel in Oxford. I also asked about feedback forms to comment on the service but apparently there is no such system.

So in summary I cannot recommend this hotel at the moment but it could be really good with better systems and management.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy59189460
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Andy 59189460
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you raised,in particular Food and Beverage service.There points will be addressed with the Departmental Managers concerned.
Thank you for your positve comments on the Team and hotel location.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Iain Waite GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is very well situated on the high street in a perfect location for exploring the city both in the day time and the night time. I was visiting on academic business and the location is central enough to be near local amenities as well as the various Oxford colleges (you should expect to walk more than 5 to 15 minutes to most of the colleges though there are a few on your door step around 30 second to 1 minute away). You can get a taxi but the walk itself is very enjoyable on a pleasant day.

The hotel itself offers a nice bar and seating area but I found the rooms very disappointing (I have stayed a few times and will likely not be staying again). Recently, I was placed in a room which was extremely warm (the thermostat was stuck on 18 degrees Celsius all night), very dingy and run down. There were tissues on the floor, presumably from the previous occupant, and there were very few plugs in the room which made it difficult to charge anything beyond one's laptop and one's phone. The room seemed very small - even for the room being an upgraded room - but this is likely due to the constraints of the building. I did feel fairly claustrophobic and restricted in the room so I would not have wanted to have stayed there for more than one night - I guess that having such a small room for a longer stay may have encouraged me to have left the room rather than sitting in the room, if that were the case.

The minibar was nigh on impossible to open given that the fridge was too big for the cabinet that it was in - this mean that the door to the fridge hit the cabinet that it was in and wouldn't open more than a few centimetres. I eventually gave up trying to get the complimentary water (until that is, I woke up in the night thirsty from the 18 degree Celsius thermostat).

My room on the second floor had a great view of the exam halls which was pleasant. I tried to sit by the table that was in the room in the morning before breakfast - but there was no room to really enjoy it at all as the chair and the bed were very close together given the small size of the room.

I found myself waiting for roughly 15 minutes during check in as there was a queue of 3 people ahead of me with each person being attended to by one receptionist at 545pm. This was fine but not the best welcome to the hotel as there was only enough seating for two people. Aside from this though, the staff were pleasant - I received a welcome telephone call a few minutes after arriving into my room.

I organised two wake up calls for 730am and 8am - one call was late (740am), and the second call (8am) did not arrive at all. This was disappointing as I did not see any other alarm facilities in the room. The sunlight from the outside of the window was a nice and pleasant alarm clock in spite of the telephone call (there were fairly good curtains that blacked out the sun but I decided to use the light to help wake me up).

The price was fairly expensive for mid-May and you're paying both a premium for location within the city, and just a premium for that city being Oxford. I'm sure there are cheaper hotels (in fact, I know that there are because I've stayed in them before - and some of my friends and colleagues stayed in those hotels that night).

Wifi was of a good speed for my purposes (had to make a Skype video call at one point; general catching up with emails including a few uploads of attachments).

The breakfast was of decent quality for me - although some of my colleagues breakfasts never arrived. They simply gave up. I wouldn't pay for the breakfast as an addition to the room as it would not be worth it. Breakfast was included in the rate for my room. There are likely much nicer places just outside the hotel that offer a cheaper breakfast (that may be more reliable in arriving).

Minor point: On the night that I stayed, I returned to the hotel at around 1145pm after some drinks and dinner in town and was disappointed to find that the bar had closed. I had returned with some friends and we had wanted to grab a glass of wine before heading to our rooms but could not. This is bound to have been well advertised in many locations in the hotel - clearly, I was ignorant of the bar operating hours because I was surprised by the 1145pm closing time - we intended to get back to the hotel just before midnight as we presumed the bar closed at midnight.

Overall I found the hotel to be very well located but expensive for the quality of the rooms that I have stayed at on three occasions in the past two years. I am unlikely to visit again as a result unless a large number of colleagues happen to stay in the same hotel when I visit.

Room Tip: Views on the 2nd and 3rd floors facing the exam halls have a great view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank James D
Dear James D
Thank you for your detailed feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
The comments are most comprehensive and each point will be discussed with the Departmental Managers concerned. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service issues. All of which will be resolved moving forward.

Iain Waite GM

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a twin room which was very small ,hot and cramped with unnecessary furniture . The beds were of excellent quality and so was the bedding . Very disappointing Caesar salad , requested no anchovies or chicken ,arrived with anchovies ,sent it back ,arrived back again still with a hidden anchovie ,sent back ,finally came back with no anchovies but clearly they had not replaced the salad or put it on a fresh plate as it still tasted of anchovies . Not acceptable for a hotel of this quality and the for the price we paid . Great location .

Stayed May 2014
Dear Jane P
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
At the outset ,please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you highlighted in relation to your room and the content and service of your meal, both matters will be addressed.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights whilst visiting Oxford. Good central location with nice rooms, friendly staff and good food. Had to wait a little for breakfast on the Sunday but as we were leaving that day we were happy to sit and watch the world go by....

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jojo1994
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Jojo1994

Thank you for your positive fedback following your stay with us.

Kind Regards#

Geneva2009
Reviewed 22 April 2014

You do pay clearly the location. Hotel offers the basic service you would expect.
Depending the room you have free mineral water (however, even front desk does not really know the rules). Wifi ok working.
Check with chef prior to order any food (many times the food served does not correspond to the menu or is simply not available).
We had the disavantage of having to arrive a couple of days late (medical reasons). Despite the medical certificate, hotel management was still charging a 50 % penalty. Although we stayed a total of 6 nights.

Room Tip: If you are ACard holder gold and platinum insist on VIP service (staff is sadly - as in many Accor h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Geneva2009
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Genva 2009
Thank you for your feedback again, now received via trip advisor.
At the outset ,once again ,please accept my aopolgies for any aspect of your visit which did not meet your expectatations.
" Expensive with strings" to confirm ,you booked your accommodation taking advantage of a heavily discounted promotional rate , which is pre-paid ,non -refundable and offers no flexibility.Whilst no refund was due to you the team as a gesture of goodwill gave you a 50% discount on the cancelled nights. Furthermore in my correspondance to you I have also offerd you a preferential rate on your next visit to Oxford.
I hope this now clarifies the matter and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oxford in the near future.

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My Husband and I Stayed here Easter Friday for one night. Lovely old buliding, tasteful decor. Impressed! Pleased we Paid £142 up front to get a discount, should have beed £192, but for such a small room I was glad Of the discount! Price is obviously for location. Very central. The room decor was nice, but the size disappointing .The double bed was pushed under the eves into the corner of the room. Sadly my side! To get a drink of water or go to the loo meant shimmying down to the bottom of the bed to get out! Luckily we are not oldies! Only bumped heads a few times! Room decor good, view good-side street at front of hotel. Minuses were- Shower had no power! Car park entrance-tight!
Staff, very polite and helpful. Portuguese Barman was a lovely chap.

Went for dinner at the 'Folly' 5 mins by cab, 15 min walk. Lovely Restaraunt on the river.

Breakfast was included (£16 each if not) Fill up on pastries etc if u like a big breakfast! Was disappointed by size of English breakfast! 1 sausage, tiny pot of beans, shrivelled virtually hard poached egg and bacon!

But the overall stay good. Couldn't of been better located.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo P
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear JO P

Thank you for your positive comments following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

Thank you Also for highlighting some areas where we can improve our service delivery.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is very well situated in Oxford, close to colleges and the Botanic Gardens, which are well worth a visit. The reception and bar area is very pleasant as the dual aspect ensures plenty of light. Parking is a little fraught - the entrance to the car park is difficult for those driving large cars. We were in the new annexe at the rear of the hotel and unfortunately the sound proofing isn't great - we heard people on the toilet. Not what you'd expect to hear in a newly built room. The service at the bar and in the breakfast room is also a little patchy, depending on who you get. Most of the staff are very pleasant and welcoming and work hard, but it is possible there's a shortage of staff, particularly in the bar area. The breakfast is great, very good value and the afternoon tea and snacks in the bar are also very good. We didn't eat have dinner in the restaurant as most of the reviews mentioned poor service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room in the modern annexe at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dera Heather M

Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay with us.