“Worth the money...just.”

Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for my wedding anniversary in one of the executive rooms. The location cannot be faulted and on a sunny day oxford is truly stunning. The room however is still quite small and the interior of the hotel all round needs a bit of TLC. The staff however are friendly and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Paul A
Thank you for your kind comments - the staff are really appreciative of your feedback.
We are due to start a refurbishment of the hotel in the autumn and we are taking into account all our guest feedback, however due to the age and history of the hotel we have yet to confirm a start date.
Kind regards

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Room Tip: When ordering breakfast, they take your order exactly: sausage and egg gets you precisely one sausag...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time visit to Oxford. The hotel was right on High Street and only a 10/15 minute walk into town centre. DO NOT USE SAT NAV to get here. It takes you into north of city and through gated streets therefore you have to turn back, luckily I had printed off street map so eventually could find put where we were in relation to hotel and we found our way using the old fashioned method.
Small narrow entry to car park. We had pre booked this sat gone of booking. . £15.00 a night but there is no where else to park your car so has to be paid. Our room was on second floor and on corner so had good view of all the goings on on a High Street. Bed very comfortable, nice large TV, tea making facilities and a fridge so we purchased fresh milk as dislike the uht that you always have these days in hotels. The room was very 'tired', the bathroom had a bad leak when YouTube the shower on and the paint on bath panel was peeling off. Apparently though hotel bring refurbished in autumn. Breakfast was okay when you got it. . . . Very slow in taking order for cooked selection. Lots of tables still had dirty plates etc on. . . Not cleared so both mornings only one table available to us. Although four staff running around. . . Not sure what they were all to though.t

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your constructive comments following your recent stay at the Mercure Oxford Eastgate, I am afraid Oxford is not an easy city to travel in by car due to the number of cyclists and various one way roads.
The hotel is due to start a refurbishment in the autumn, however due to the age and history fo the hotel we have yet to confirm a start date and we have taken note of your constuctive comments when we do start the refurbishment programme.
I do apologise for the delay in breakfast, we have a fairly new team and they are still in the learning process.
Regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 17 June 2014

When staying in Oxford, England, this is the place, located in the heart of the colleges and close to the center of town. They have on site parking (small charge), a great full English breakfast (again a charge, but well worth it), and are very clean. The front desk could not have been any more helpful, and all the services were GREAT!

Should we ever visit Oxford again we will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed facing the back, looking at the parking lot rather then the street thinking it would be qu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Bruce R
Thank you very much for your feedback, the team were greatly appreciative and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hottest night of the year and the air con was useless and the fridge was broken! Complained and the maintenance guy simple said it's not broken it's just not very good! Give this one a miss, trust me !

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Paul M
Thank you for your constructive comments on the lack of air conditioning and a working fridge in your bedroom following your recent stay at the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel. I have instructed our maintenance engineer to do a full survey of the mini-bar fridges and air-con with the recent exceptional weather we have being experiencing.
He is not yet completed all the bedrooms but we are already looking at replacing some of the fridges and an engineer is on call for the air conditioning.
I do apologise for the heat you encountered during your stay, your concerns have been noted

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is a nice corporate hotel, but I was shocked by the unprofessional service I received at the bar. I politely asked the bartender, Philip (?), for a bucket of ice. I needed the ice for a knee injury. He said that there were no buckets of ice, so he gave me a small glass with ice. I went back to my room and went downstairs again to get another small glass of ice. When he saw me the second time, the bartender exploded. He started bollocking me in front of the front desk person (Georgia), and then in front of the night manager. I felt bad because they felt embarrassed by his behaviour. Eventually I got a bucket with ice. Since that incident I felt intimidated and hesitated to go downstairs again. Please, do not ask for a bucket of ice at this hotel, you will risk the wrath of the bartender...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dera Lawrence 23

Thank you again for your feedack.
Following your earlier email and my subsequent telephone call to you.
This is very much an isolated incident and I have given you my assurances that the matter will be dealt with.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Iain Waite GM

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On arrival at the hotel, we managed to park in the hotel car park which was very convenient. Reception staff very pleasant and helpful, they offered us an upgrade for £15.00 which we accepted. The room was small but the amenities within were excellent. Love the coffee machine together with the tea and coffee tray. Nice touch and it meant we could have proper coffee on our return from dinner. Reception organised taxis for us which was very efficient. Breakfast in the restaurant was good. I ordered poached eggs which were lovely and arrived very fast. I think overall it was value for money and I would return. We had room 203, as I said, small but perfectly formed and a lovely bathroom.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Atinkerbel,
Thank you for your very posive comments following your stay with us.

Iain Waite GM