1,219 results
All reviewshigh streetcar parkprivilege roommerton collegemarco pierre whiteold buildingcentral locationthird floorreception staffper dayexcellent locationeggs benedictnespresso machineon site parkingno liftbreakfast was excellentcomfortable hotel
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions for business. The positives are that the common areas are lovely and the staff are friendly and helpful - I have noticed an improvement in the staff's attitude over the course of my last few visits. I have always been impressed with the quality of room service too. Some of the rooms have a great view of the Examinations Hall. The downsides are that the rooms are embarrassingly dated and tired inside, the bathrooms in particular are not those befitting a hotel charging these prices, and the whole experience depends on which room is allocated. I understand the hotel is due to undergo a major refurbishment so things may improve.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear DinkyDijon
Thank you for your feedback and your kind words about the team, greatly appreciated.
We are due to have a renovation of the hotel bedrooms and bathrooms, however due to the age and history of the hotel, the actual start date is later than we anticipated, mainly down to the structure. The hotel is over 250 years and some of the wall, which are supporting walls, are more dense than originally gauged, which has meant some of the configurations of the rooms have had to change, delaying the start date.
MANAGER

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel is small and even with a lift, you must transport luggage over steps to reach your room. If you are unlucky enough to visit on a sunny day, be prepared to be extremely hot and uncomfortable. While the air conditioning is running, the room was sweltering. I never undid the bed to sleep - it was too hot to need a cover. I notified the front desk two times and they did nothing - did not try to fix, or offer any compensation for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Stay outside of Oxford and transport in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sbs7729
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear sbs
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Townhouse, I am afraid the hotel is over 250 years old, and with the exceptionally good weather we are experiencing at present and the age of the hotel, the heat is retained in the building. We do offer air conditioning in every bedroom, and with the hotel being located in the centre of Oxford city it has been exceptional.
The hotel is a number of Townhouses built together and due to its age the floors are not all on the same level, although we do offer assistance with the luggage the structure does allow for any physical changes, I do apologise.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed in Room 216, and the noise from the generator outside my bedroom was very much like an aircraft on a runway before take-off, ALL NIGHT.
I asked to be moved to another room after a sleepless night, but there wasn't one available, so I had another sleepless night, which meant that I had to leave the Conference early as I was so tired.
It would be good to have a feedback form in the rooms, as staff were very busy, and I had a tight schedule.
An additional issue that I didn't have time to report properly was finding a hair, possibly from a beard, on my plate of scrambled eggs.
I mentioned it to the young Chinese waitress, and she apologised, but handed the plate to someone else who was coming out of the kitchen, then rushed off to do something else. I don't expect she reported it to anyone, and I had to leave for my first lecture.
The Reception staff were lovely, and the hotel generally was very nice, but double-glazing a must.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank skywalker_7

Dear Skywalker_7,
Thank you for your feedback, I am afraid that due to the good hot weather we are experiencing our air conditioning and ventilation system is working overtime, although I have had the air conditioning double checked and service, I am awaiting the service of the ventialtion throughout the hotel, I do apologise. I have made note of your recommendation of double glazing for our future renovation of the hotel bedrooms.
With reference to a hair in your scrambled egg, I am totally shocked as no-one in the team has a beard or a moustashe, and I am very sorry if the young lady in the restaurant did not handle your complaint, I can assure that this is not our standard and that the appropriate action and training has been given, I am sorry.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Don't ever put anyone in Room 212 again - the noise from the kitchen fan was horrendous - it went on all night - I asked to be moved into another room - the other room was fine. The restaurant was lovely and the service from the staff was excellent - they were most obliging at finding me a quieter room when I complained. The hotel is perfectly sited for exploring Oxford and near enough to the Great Tom tower to hear the 101 peals at 9.05 p.m.

Room Tip: Never stay in Room 212! Other rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Joan T,
Thank you for your kind feedback on the team at the Mercure Oxford Eastgae Townhouse, greatly appreciated and a good morale boost for them all.
I am very sorry for the noise of the kitchen extractor fan keeping you awake during your stay, I am afraid it has been at full blast during the day over the past couple of weeks with the excellent weather we have being experiencing, however it should be switch off at night. I have noted your concerns on the original bedroom you were allocated, we are due to have a renovation of the hotel in next 3 months and double glazing has been requested in a number of bedrooms.
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is very centrally located which is great, if a little noisy. There is parking available, although considering the accommodation costs I don't think they should be charging for parking. The hotel is pleasant to stay in - although we had the Ruskin Suite (extremely expensive) so our experience is not necessarily typical. The room was pleasant and generally comfortable (and the windows opened which was great); my main complaint is that there is no ventilation in the bathroom: the window won't open and although there seems to be an extractor fan in the ceiling there is nowhere to switch it on. The bedding is a bit too bulky and it would be nice if blankets and sheets were available as an alternative for warm nights, as we had to have the air-conditioning on all night which I don't like. Housekeeping a bit below par - there was no soap in the bathroom when we arrived and the cleaning was rather cursory. But on the whole the staff were good. The breakfast room is nice. Internet is free and works well. All better than one might expect from a Mercure.

Room Tip: Ruskin Suite is nice if you can afford it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ert 53
Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am afraid Oxford is in high demand at this time of year with all the students finishing their exams and graduation, and being located in the city centre - accommodation is limited and parking in high demand, hence the reason why we do charge for parking in a secure and safe environment.
I have noted your concerns on the lack of ventilation in the bathroom, and I have spoken with our maintenance engineer to check the main suites air flow in the bathroom. We do offer summer duvets in the bedrooms and I am very sorry if this had not been changed on your bed, I have asked the head housekeeper to review all bedrooms.
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Townhouse, I will pass on your kind comments to the team.
Kind regards, Peter Watt, Manager