“Hidden Treasure.......”

Berkshire
“Hidden Treasure.......”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My weekend in Oxford
Having arranged to meet friends in Oxford for the weekend, I looked for somewhere to stay.
Using late rooms, I looked for the best rates but in a nice environment. Having looked at several I came across the Mecure Eastgate, not a brand I knew well.

But wow, what a wonderful little hotel, hidden off the high street this hotel has everything you need. Great standard of Service and Quality and a car park.....which I learned is good in oxford.

Entering you are greeted with a warm welcome form the reception staff that can’t do enough to help! Offering advice on where to go and what to do........

The corridors are a little claustrophobic but it is an old building. I stayed in room 317 which is right on the corner of the high street. The room for me has character and charm. Immaculately clean, tidy and well presented with a vast bathroom.

I had a great night out on Friday and just wanted to chill on Saturday with friends some food etc.....
We were told on check in that the hotel has a restaurant, but with most hotel restaurants they aren’t that great.

The High Table brasserie at the hotel is a total exception, its trendy, contemporary and welcoming!
And with an amazing daily menu from only £14.95 for 3 courses...... the menu has classic dishes with a modern influence.

All in all went staying Oxford I would high recommend stay at the Eastgate and experience the culinary delights the High Table Offers, even if you stay else where......Eat here you won’t regret it!

Mr B

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank MrBBerkshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I always use trip advisor when sourcing hotels but never bother writing reviews, but after reading the somewhat negative reviews for this hotel I felt compelled to write one as i think people will be put off going after reading some reviews written here! don't be.

when reading reviews on this website i think it's clear some people are never happy. the slowness of the toaster for example! it must be quite an ordeal for some people to step outside the their houses every day it seems! anyway people have different experiences when staying places so here's mine.

arrived at reception, which was well presented, to find that my booking had not been registered on their systems. just as i was preparing to get angry they sorted it without a fuss even though the hotel was fully booked. "i have a room up my sleeve for such occasions" she said! it was a smaller room than we'd paid for but she reduced the rate by £20 which was nice of her. the room was quite small but it was clean and tidy with a comfy bed.

Yes the tv had bad reception and was a bit old but we actually ventured out of the hotel for most of our stay so wasn't a problem! Was a really good location which is the main thing i guess.

Breakfast was really nice i thought. table service for cooked breakfast and buffet for continental style. would have been upset by the £15 cost if it wasn't included in the rate we paid. also the car park and wi fi are expensive too. charging for wi fi is a bit stingy in my book!

all in all, nice place for a short stay with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cynic100
Corfe Mullen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Excellent hotel. Staff were excellent. We checked in and waited for our friends to join us in the bar. The bar staff were very knowledgeable and very friendly. We decided to stay and eat in the restaurant and were not disappointed. Do not bother leaving the hotel to dine as you will definitely miss out. Food was excellent and very reasonable. Rooms were lovely and comfortable. Had a room looking onto the car park so was very quiet. Already booked us in for Easter.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bristolfun
Cardiff
Reviewed 1 February 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night stay in Oxford - our first break with our 4 month old daughter. We requested a convenient room with ample space for a cot with easy access. We were a bit worried upon arrival to be confronted by steep steps leading for all access routes to reception, but we were allocated room 401on the ground floor / basement floor which was next to the car park (not the best view but great for the purpose - plenty or room for the travel cot provided by the hotel, and an emergency exit door right outside our room leading to the car park for easy access and exit with the pram.

Staff were very helpfull, breakfast was great and relaxing (can be busy on Sundays - so get down before 9.30am to avoid the rush). Hotel was very clean.

We spent quite a bit of time in our room which was very comfortable with two chairs and a table, and we had a fridge for storing our own drinks and tea and coffee making facilities. Did'nt use the hotel bar or restauraunt, but the prices seemed very reasonable for the location.

Hotel location was great, we had considered the Barcelo but we were glad we went for the Mercure as the Barcelo was some 3 miles out of town. The hotel is surrounded by various colleges and a 10 minute walk up High Street takes you into the main shopping area with plenty of places to eat. There is also a great little restaurant quarter by the castle with plenty of places to eat.

Plenty of car parking spaces with parking charged at £13.50 per day - seems expensive but was very convenient and quite cheap compared to street parking charges of £3/hour in the local area.

Thank you Estgate Hotel for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Dai47
Flintshire
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Having negotiated the roadworks and finally found the hotel via a round about route I squeezed my car through the very narrow (and scarred) entrance into the hotel carpark.

On entering the reception area we were greeted by the sort of boiled cabbage type aroma associated with old peoples' homes. My Niece arrived moments after us and she booked into her room as I booked into ours. Comparing notes afterwards we both felt the check in staff were rude, as did my Wife, and later my Sister in Law was of the same opinion. Strangely the check in area consists of two desks behind which the reception staff sit. (I don't think I have ever checked in to a hotel where the reception staff are sitting down!)

Proceeding to our room on the second floor via the coffin like and very tiny lift we thankfully noted the cabbage smell disappeared as we moved away from reception. It has to be said though that the decor seemed very old and tired, and this did not bode well for our room.

We had paid extra for a 'priveledge' room, however having seen it we found ourselves wondering if we had actually been given that standard of room. I therefore rang down to reception and asked if indeed the room was classed as a priveledge room. I was assured it was, and on asking what I could expect in such a room I was told this was because we had a view of the Magdalen tower, and the room was slightly larger. We did in fact have a view of the Magdalen tower across the bins and car park, but it was hardly worth paying for and to my mind the room was actually quite small. We had one sachet of cocoa with the tea and coffe facilities, and the wardrobe was very small. My bedside light didn't work, and when I reported this I was told it would be fixed on Monday. (This was Saturday and I was leaving on Sunday). The TV was very old fashioned, and seemed to be stuck in a time warp. I don't think the management are aware that there are now rather a lot of free channels. We had virtually no TV choice and the picture was atrocious.

We did not dine in the restaurant but given the very poor service at breakfast we probably had a narrow escape. The £14.95 breakfast promised a potato Rosti, but this turned out to be what appeared to be a farm foods frozen product as did the sausage. Of the eight eggs served to the four people at our table everyone of them were overcooked and hard, and my fried eggs had obviously spent a rather long time under heat lamps.

On the Sunday morning we managed to get in to breakfast before the rush which was just as well as the static queue for tables stretched back to the main bar area. In fact the queue for tables seemed to mingle with the queue for the very slow toaster, (yes in a hotel as expensive as this you have to make your own toast!)

Check out was a relatively painless experience mainly because I had paid for my room in advance, however the £27 for two nights car parking seemed steep to me, given the cost for bed and breakfast. I only had one paper to pay for as they forgot my order on Sunday, so had to buy one after I had left.

One tip is don't use the hotel Wi Fi as this is £7 for two hours. There are plenty of other places to sit and have a coffee whilst using the free Wi Fi facilities a short walk away.

To sum up I would say this hotel is tired, scruffy, and overpriced. I will not be returning. Oxford was great and well worth the visit but it was spoiled by our time Mercure Hotels.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank skoggie

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Penicuik, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We were a little worried after reading previous reviews, but our fears soon vanished. When we arrived there was no record of our booking, made through a third party nine months previously, but the reception dealt with this quickly and without fuss.

We had room 503. Clean, bigger than expected, and a really comfortable bed. Available TV channels not as advertised, but we weren't here to watch TV, and I've only once or twice in previous two years been in a hotel where TV channels were as promised.

Excellent breakfast, included in our rate, and all staff helpful and polite. Would definitely stay again, and the central location was fantastic.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew G
Kent
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Just returned from a very nice trip (with friends) to see a concert in Oxford. The Mercure Eastgate Hotel gave a warm welcome and a most excellent service - from local information to ordering cabs for us,
The room was cosy, clean and the beds were SO comfortable. The manager was friendly & kind. The breakfast absolutely delicious, with the staff so attentive...we felt 'spoilt'. Thank you for making our stay such a nice experience. This is the second time we've used this hotel and would not hesitate to return! In a world where people are so quick to complain, I feel it deserves some praise!
Best wishes,