“Handy but noisy”
Review of Old Black Horse

Old Black Horse
Ranked #40 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The room I have is fine in all respects except that it faces the main road and as a old coaching house does not benefit from double glazing to keep the traffic noise down. Bed is comfy enough and Aussie barman is pleasant enough but during my stay the place was mainly taken by construction workers who were on a 6 month project so as a pub the place was dead for hours on end.
A five minute walk however takes you to the middle of historic Oxford so it is great for exploring without paying top dollar for central hotels

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Everyone at the Old Black Horse was lovely, very friendly and very nice. But what they have to sell to you does not match their level.

I stayed in the self catering apartment out back, past the bins, perhaps the same one as the previous reviewer?. The place smelled horrible and had most likely suffered at the hands of a smoker. The bed was a grim piece of kit - time to invest in a new mattress. Cold too, with no extra blankets. Oh, and this is the only place I ever stayed in where they were unable to make edible toast. Normally toast has been, well toasted really.

Room Tip: For saying this is a student town, the rooms out back in the annexe are actually rather quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Pete_Chipp
Reviewed 22 October 2012

On the 22nd of September 2012, I stayed with my girlfriend in the Black Horse in Oxford. As there were no other rooms available, we took the family self catering apartment for the price of £125. On arrival we were shown to our room. It was cold and had a stagnant smell. None of the utilities were on, and over the phone I was walked through how to turn them on by fiddling with the fuse box. So the fridge and freezer were out of use for our 24 hour stay as they would not be sufficient temperatures. The TV didn't work. The cutlery and utensils were dirty. The gas stove has to be lit by a match or lighter that wasn't supplied and i presume same with the oven as nothing happened there and i would not like to risk sticking a lighter to the back of an oven.
We went out for a drink and when we returned i was to lie on my half of the bed. I went straight through as the wooden slats were out of place and I had to go under the bed rearranging the slats. It was not i would expect when paying £125 for a night, having to fix the bed. Again in the night the slats had moved and i woke up with ditches in the bed. After the bad nights sleep i was lying into till check out time of 10.30. Around 8.45 there was several knocks at the door, i walked downstairs to hear room service/house keeping...
I was told that the room was only used for workers during the week.
The manager on duty throughout this was unable to offer subsequent compensation saying was told take £10 of the bill from what he had heard the previous night.

It was the last night of our road trip of England, visiting many B&B's and we didn't feel a humble atmosphere here. It was the most expensive night we had paid and our worst.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank max c
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Yes, it's an expensive place to stay, but so is everywhere else in Oxford and I would much rather stay in a cosy, well-located place like this than a chain hotel on the side of the motorway! This place has charming character and is just over the bridge from the centre of town.

Despite being located in a pub I had no problem with noise carrying up to my room at the back, and appreciated being able to use the back door rather than walking through the bar every day. The room was clean and, although small, had everything I needed - decent shower, comfortable bed, telly and internet access. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, making me feel very welcome.

My one criticism was that breakfast wasn't really up to much (very greasy, and I could hear a microwave pinging) but there are very many places in Oxford to get a very good breakfast so I wasn't disappointed. They could do with more staff at breakfast time as the one gentleman tending to all of the tables seemed to be struggling.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My parents and I enjoyed our stay at this very conveniently located Pub B&B. The free on-site parking was excellent, the rooms full of character (loved the low ceilings and lots of dark wood), spacious and clean, the staff very friendly. The location is amazing, true walking distance from the centre of Oxford. Breakfast was ok. Overall, a good find!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We enjoyed this place. It is a geninely historic building (when in England...) in a great location just five minutes walk from central Oxford. However, if you're not interested in old buildings it is perhaps one to avoid as it has low ceilings (even my rather short girlfriend banged her head!) and cramped stairs and corridors.
Despite being old the room and ensuite were comfortable and well equipped. Good value cosidering the location. Breakfast was ok (cooked breakfast was included), though served by one rather overworked person, so it took a little while. The pub itself wasn't to my tastes (though I recommend the one across the road), but it wasn't too noisy, despite our being there over a weekend. But it is on a main road so there is some noise overnight.
The free car parking in Central Oxford was remarkable, though I wouldn't recommend bringing a car as most of the city is restricted access. The buses from London (the 'Oxford Tube' and others) stop right outside (ask the driver for St Clements).
So overall we loved it, but can see why others didn't.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com