“Whitebait to die for!!”

Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: You will find The Crown in Oxford within a short stroll of Queens Street, Carfax Tower and High Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Crown is one of many hidden gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

So pleased that you have introduced whitebait onto your menu! I t was our wedding anniversary and we both wanted a lunch of whitebait/seafood for lunch nicely accompanied with a bottle of white wine - duly delivered and truly superb! Our waiter, Lloyd, was so attentive and contributed greatly to the occasion!
Thank you so much for a truly memorable anniversary!
Chris & Margaret
Shrewsbury

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We took two french guests in for a light afternoon drink. The barman allowed my french friend to sample two of the beers. Then complained bitterly that he only wanted half a pint. Whilst my friend was trying to beer, he served half a dozen other people, then complained that I had not told him about my wife's tea at the same time as a coffee (which happened only because he kept leaving to serve other people).

The view of the 4 concrete walls in the garden wasn't particularly scenic.

1  Thank Rich C
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The problem began here when I tried to speak to a member of staff to alert them to a food allergy, this resulted in someone going to try and check with the chef and in the end I had to phone the partner company customer services who tried to put me through to the food allergy team. To be honest, it might have been the manager I spoke to agreed they needed to do better. When the food arrived it was delicious, and I can't fault the team, but I have said if I want to go in again, I'll try sand let them know the day before but really their allergy awareness is dreadful but they admit they need to do better.

Charl55, Manager at The Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hello. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry that your experience was not as you expected. Unfortunately your allergy was not on our allergen guide supplied to us by our head office. My collegue and I did our upmost to find the information for you, but I'm afraid that as your allergy is a less commonly known one, it did take us a while to find out. As the manager I think it's very important that we are able to accomodate all of our guests, which is whay I have passed your feedback on to the relevent people in the hope that they will be able to include the information for our next menu change. Please accept my apology on this matter, and rest assure that we will do what we can to accomodate you in the future.
Kind regards
Charlotte

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Family off shopping - I used the crown as a father sitting service.
Nice place
Great beers (served in 1/3 as part of a beer fest)
Lots of different bar snacks
If we did not have a table booked for tonight I could have stayed here all day.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Ate here on a Friday evening , had cheesy garlic bread - ok , then veggie Wellington with mash and veg - it was lovely absolutely lovely but the veg send mash were almost cold - if it had all of beef hot it would have been a really lovely meal , Husband had the steak pudding but felt that there was not much meat in the pudding so was also let down , his veg and mash were also cool ,

Not sure if the food was cold as it was cold when put out or if it was waiting to be brought to our table as there seemed to be one guy behind the bar plus a young blond man who seemed to be running around , taking orders and serving drinks at the bar serving food and clearing tables so I could totally understand if he didn't get to pick up the food straight away , hence I didn't complain as I thought he was run off his feet enough as it was .