“Lovely dinner away from the street crowd”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #216 of 628 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: You will find The Crown in Oxford within a short stroll of Queens Street, Carfax Tower and High Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Crown is one of many hidden gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Lille, France
“Lovely dinner away from the street crowd”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stumbled upon this lovely inn by accident. We were intrigued by the little court yard and the sign that indicated that Shakespeare used to eat there.
We tried a local cider and beer and some traditional pub food (hamburger, fish and chips and a roast beef salad). All dishes were tasty but the serving of roast beef could have been more generous; the hamburger patties were perfectly cooked and delicious. The fries were all right but will not impress Belgians.
The desserts are a mixed bag. The brownie was ok but the gin and tonic sorbet is a novelty but nothing more.
The waitress were very friendly and patient with us since we took a long time making up our mind. An added bonus of this inn is the fact that you can eat outside well away from traffic and foot traffic.
All in all, a lovely meal for a reasonable price in an enjoyable setting.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Lovely courtyard, but food disappointing”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited Oxford centre and stopped here for a drink and bar snack. Weather was good, so our party of six sat in the courtyard. The beer drinkers were given tasters before ordering, but the sandwiches ordered were mostly average. If you go for the sandwiches, the chicken and bacon best and good quality, cheese just OK, and fish finger (goujons when it arrived) greasy and tasteless. Staff friendly and helpful.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Whitebait to die for!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

So pleased that you have introduced whitebait onto your menu! I t was our wedding anniversary and we both wanted a lunch of whitebait/seafood for lunch nicely accompanied with a bottle of white wine - duly delivered and truly superb! Our waiter, Lloyd, was so attentive and contributed greatly to the occasion!
Thank you so much for a truly memorable anniversary!
Chris & Margaret
Shrewsbury

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Grumpiest service in the country”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We took two french guests in for a light afternoon drink. The barman allowed my french friend to sample two of the beers. Then complained bitterly that he only wanted half a pint. Whilst my friend was trying to beer, he served half a dozen other people, then complained that I had not told him about my wife's tea at the same time as a coffee (which happened only because he kept leaving to serve other people).

The view of the 4 concrete walls in the garden wasn't particularly scenic.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Rich C
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Bad allergy awareness but they tried”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The problem began here when I tried to speak to a member of staff to alert them to a food allergy, this resulted in someone going to try and check with the chef and in the end I had to phone the partner company customer services who tried to put me through to the food allergy team. To be honest, it might have been the manager I spoke to agreed they needed to do better. When the food arrived it was delicious, and I can't fault the team, but I have said if I want to go in again, I'll try sand let them know the day before but really their allergy awareness is dreadful but they admit they need to do better.

Visited May 2014
Charl55, Manager at The Crown, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hello. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry that your experience was not as you expected. Unfortunately your allergy was not on our allergen guide supplied to us by our head office. My collegue and I did our upmost to find the information for you, but I'm afraid that as your allergy is a less commonly known one, it did take us a while to find out. As the manager I think it's very important that we are able to accomodate all of our guests, which is whay I have passed your feedback on to the relevent people in the hope that they will be able to include the information for our next menu change. Please accept my apology on this matter, and rest assure that we will do what we can to accomodate you in the future.
Kind regards