“Nice hotel but my room wasn't great ”
Review of Galaxie Hotel

and 1 more site!
Galaxie Hotel
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I visit Oxford regularly on business and use a variety of hotels.

I booked quite late and got a short straw on my hotel room. It was clean and tidy but was small and noisy

Now I suspect that the bulk of rooms are actually ok so would advise of you are interested in staying that you ask for a large room without an uncarpeted wooden floor.

The staff were friendly. The breakfast served was rather good. The hotel was well presented and looked after.

Galaxie is not too far from the centre but equally is not on the doorstep. It's probably a 20 minute walk

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in October and was impressed by how attentive and friendly the staff were. The hotel is in Summertown but is well serviced by buses into the centre of Oxford. Ample off road parking , clean and well serviced rooms, plenty of choice at breakfast and the staff are happy to accommodate you as best they can

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gillyflowerLondon
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in September and found it sufficient for what I paid. The room and bathrooms were good sizes. Breakfast selection was good, fantastic to have fresh orange juice. My only gripe would be that breakfast was not served until 7.30am. However the staff were alright with me grabbing toast and cereal on the run. They were not the most friendly in general however. The corridors were quite narrow and hard to navigate with luggage and the walls of the room thin so quite noisy at night with people coming and going. Location was good with shops just down the road.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The Galaxie is very conveniently located in Summertown, just a little way outside of Oxford City Centre. It has a bus stop almost right in front of the building along Banbury Road and it has the added convenience of supermarkets, restaurants, multiple coffee shops and other shops within about 1 minute walk.
As it's on the main road there could be a concern of street noise if you were in the front rooms but since I was staying 4 nights I was put on the 1st floor at the back of the property (in a deluxe room) so I had no problem with noise whatsoever.
The room was modern, clean and has what you need. There wasn't a whole lot of extra space to get around the bed but it didn't matter much at all to me.
The breakfast was pretty reasonable, the garden out back quite lovely to sit about in and there was plenty of free car parking on site too.
Best of all was the customer service - from reception to service staff at breakfast. At check in I was greeted by a very (!!) cheerful, chatty and happy lady who was very warm and inviting - even showed me her pictures from a recent holiday to Australia while sorting out my room. Her enthusiasm was infectious and a great start to my stay...especially after traveling so far to get there.
I would definitely stay here again when I'm next in Oxford and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property if you're concerned about traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank bobby_bat
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Great hotel with lovely staff. They were really helpful in helping me decide how to spend a short afternoon in Oxford. It's a nice walk or a quick journey by bus into the centre of Oxford. The rooms have been newly refurbished and are fresh, bright and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was great too with lots of choice. All in all a great hotel. I will definitely stay here next time I'm in Oxford.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Galaxie Hotel teach us a lesson in customer service. We stay I a deluxe room, since nothing else was free. its near bus stop 10 min. by bus to the center. big room for 102 pounds. we had ground floor with noise from the street. at night the bath tap start to make a noise like group of hornets. we call the reception to change our room but they refuse. in the morning, after a very good breakfast we go to the reception, and we told the story. the lady go to talk to someone inside and when she came back, she apologize and gave us all the money (102 P.) back.
So what kind of grade we can give them? 8 out of 10 will do.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chaim B
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed for one night for the university's open day. Great welcome from the reception staff even though ours was a late 10pm check-in. Lovely modern twin room with all amenities and an amazing bathroom. The breakfast was served in a gorgeously modern conservatory overlooking the quirky gardens, was plentiful and with helpful pleasant staff. Its a short bus ride from the city centre and has free car parking. Excellent rates means that this is a real hidden gem and if my son gets inti oxford uni I guess this will be my home from home !

• Stayed: September 2013