“If you are just looking for a bed for the night.. this is for you...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dial House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Dial House
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reading, United Kingdom
“If you are just looking for a bed for the night.. this is for you...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We booked this guesthouse last minute for the bank hols weekend as we really struggled to find anywhere with availability. We were greeted in a very strange manner, rude and short is how I would describe it. We then walked up the stairs to our room, and the place was just absolutely filthy. We were so worried that our room would be in the same state but actually found the room was clean and did the job. As I say, if you just want a bed for the night. with buses outside straight into Oxford then this is for you. If I was to go again, I would probably stay at the Premier Inn over this even though its much further out! Breakfast was shocking too with really rude service again.. This really would be a last resort stay!

One positive.. the bathroom appeared to have been recently done so was of a much higher standard then the room and hotel itself!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

I planned on staying here for a few weeks while taking a hiatus from work so I could write. Checking in was fine, and though the staff was a little short, they were professional. I didn't have any complaints, though the place isn't glamourous, until I became ill a day or two into my stay. I was running a fever and debating finding a doctor, but in no shape to walk around and find a place to eat. I pulled out my laptop and found a place that would deliver food, when I noticed that guests weren't allowed to have food in their rooms. I called the manager and asked if I could be an exception since i was ill, but I was told that policy forbid it. I missed breakfast (only a two hour window) because I was sleeping two mornings in a row and literally went three days without eating. I had to cut my entire stay short and go back home because i was so weak.

In short, this place is ok, my complaint had to do with my illness, but I think I would look elsewhere.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GypsyElfMaiden

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Large house converted into guesthouse. Has a gym on back which quite odd whilst booking in seeing people working up a sweat...!

Rooms large and very clean. My double bed actually two singles pushed together, but even so had a wonderful nights sleep. Bathroom very modern white suite with plenty hot water, also plenty tea coffee in rooms.

Only gripe is breakfast served from 830... When we were leaving at 750 for work. When asked if we could have something bit earlier, lady said could put fruit yogurt and possibly croissant on dining room for us. (we think we the only guests staying today)

Other than that this place is very nice, especially as only couple minutes from the university where we are working today.

• Stayed April 2013
Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

The room was clean and well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was lovely and modern with all amenities. The guest house was handy to Oxford centre with the bus-stop right outside. Though all the staff were pleasant and courteous, I felt that the personal touch was missing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Winnetka, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

This guest house was very clean and quiet even though right on a main road, in the Headington neighborhood of Oxford. Rooms well-equipped with electric kettle, tea assortment, plentiful biscuits and hair-dryer. Towel-warmer in the bathroom a lovely touch. On the other hand, they seem to be functioning without Do Not Disturb signs, and the breakfast, while ample, was disheartening. That said, if you like nothing but yogurt, fruit and toast in the morning, this could be the place for you. Especially convenient to John Radcliffe Hospital.

Room Tip: Big price break for sharing a bathroom if you're traveling with children and need two rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank aestheticangel
Kiwi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Booked in here for a one night stay as my usual B&B was closed. Mistake, The bed mattress was so thin I felt the boards underneath, the pillows were old and thin, worn out, the carpet in the room was dirty and thin, worn out. I thought brekkie would save the day but no, the brown toast was thin, sliced sandwich loaf. I think some establishments have no conception of what a traditional English Breakfast should be. However the happy smilie faces of the staff working in the morning brought my mark back up to 5/10.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank airbus0320
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Previous comments on Trip Advisor were quite negative with regard to the hospitality of the staff so it was with some trepidation that I booked. However, I found them to be excellent and really went the extra mile.

My Dad was in hospital over the Christmas period and we required somewhere for my Mum to stay so she could be close by. The staff responded to all my queries very promptly and took account of various requests that we made.

My Mum was delighted with the room, the staff and the hotel in general and will be staying there again as they have already decided to go back to Oxford for a short break, so they can enjoy the city this time!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family