“Where did I spend New Year?”
Review of Dial House

and 1 more site!
Dial House
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Where did I spend New Year?”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Where did I spend New Year? In a B & B in Oxford. Not by choice, my husband had just had a Triple Heart Bypass at the John Radcliffe and this was just about the only B & B open for New Year, close enough to walk to the Hospital.
My twin room was at the top of the house, in the eaves, with two Velux windows in the ceiling and two small windows looking out of the side of the house. It was clean, nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable.
The bathroom was adequate, although the lid on the toilet was broken and the shower had to be hand held because of the slope of the roof (nowhere to hook it). However, it was modern and clean.
Breakfast was excellent, everything there that you could want. On New Year's Day there was no cooked breakfast, but I was able to make toast and there was hot water for tea or coffee plus all the usual Cereals etc.
Staff were helpful and kind. Because I had to wait in my room for hospital visiting, it was cold as the heating went off, but they provided me with a heater when I asked.
Prices were of average cost, Wifi worked well. As I was alone I wanted to feel safe and I did. Thankyou Dial House.

Room Tip: I liked No. 6, it was in the eaves, had a bit of character and very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AitchGloucester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived Christmas day having booked a twin and family room. The rooms were freezing and stayed that way for the whole of our two night stay. When the heating was on fleetingly it barely made any difference as it was so cold outside. The owner had explained that there would be no cooked breakfast on Boxing day but cereal, juice, bread was left out in the dining room. As no one was checking the breakfast it was hard to find clean crockery etc to eat with, items that ran out were not replenished and as the dining room was freezing also it might have been nice if a toaster had been left out for guests to use rather than eat the bread and stale croissants. We did find a toaster tucked away in a box and so made use of that. Fortunately breakfast on the 27th was back to cooked so at least we could warm up.

On the plus side, the guest house is clean although very dated in its decor with good quality bedding and towels. Thank goodness the duvets were warm to stop us freezing in our beds.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Becksloves2travel

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

lincoln
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Hotels and B&Bs in Oxford are expensive however this one is a Guest House and it strikes a good balance between cost and facilities. It's also handy for John Radcliffe Hospital.
If you don't expect the sort of facilities that you might find in a hotel then this might just suit you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank impulsivearies
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Small, two-star place (not sure who added the other two stars but they should not be there!), close to the Oxford ring road. Even at 3 degrees outside saving money by not switching the heating on until 5pm. Wifi not working in the room. Hardly any staff around, we only saw two when they decided to demand payment (although we had guaranteed the reservation by card and nobody had asked us for payment when we arrived three hours earlier) as we were on the verge of leaving for our special evening event and we had our taxi already waiting downstairs. The women bullied us until we paid in cash right there and then as we were certainly not going to write all our card details in the general big book they had brought - the idea that that was asking for card abuse trouble had not occurred to them and they did not care, we could not go out unless they had either card details or cash payment. Atrocious guest treatment - we will certainly not go back.

Room Tip: Check whether the card you guaranteed the booking with is acceptable to them for payment - this plac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 34MGH
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Dial House with my boyfriend, his Dad and Sister for his graduation from Oxford Brookes University. The guesthouse is in a good location as it was just down the road from the uni and close to bus stops for links into the city centre.

We had one double and one twin room which were both very clean and well looked after. The bathroom in our double room was quite small, but was fine for a one night stay.

Breakfast in the morning was a little bit disappointing as the cooked breakfast had cold sausages and half a raw tomato. However, there was plenty of other food to eat- and as we were only staying one night this wasn't the end of the world.

The staff here were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a little pricey at £95 a night, I felt- but then I think most of the guesthouses were charging similar prices. Overall, we were very happy with our stay, and were I to stay in Oxford again I would certainly be happy to return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate H
Oxford
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Dial house was booked via booking.com showing great photos and good reviews! on the Internet it is advertised as a 4 star! I'm beginning to think the owners have somehow given their own rating of what they think their guest house is. I can assure you from the accommodation I have booked around England so far Dial house is not a 4 star. I approached the reception on arriving and tried to cancel my second night because the room we had been given smells musty, i was assured that the room we had was their best room. if you stay here be aware that the toilet seat has a big chip in it which is very unhygienic, the bed linen is threadbare and has been hand stitched in places rather than invest in new bedding. I was unable to cancel my second night without losing my money! But you know what I would rather lose my money than stay here a second night. The review of terrible for this accommodation is due to the fact they advertise as a four star and it is very far from that. Travellers beware.

Room Tip: If you want 4 star don't book
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Review64
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Dial House guest house is one of the best I have stayed in.... it is very conveniently placed near Oxford center with public transport running every 10 mins with the bus stops practically outside the house.
On entering the property, I was met by a friendly face and given my room key. the room was clean and tidy, not cluttered; the free wifi worked perfectly; the full english breakfast was amazing and there was no hint of having to rush off and be out.
i am absolutely delighted to be able to recommend Dial House as a guest house with over twenty years of experience... they really do know what they are doing.
Reverend Tracy Milne