“Just enjoyed it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Holywell Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here a year or so ago and enjoyed it so much that we came back this month and arranged for our son and his wife to stay, too. We had another very enjoyable stay. If you like quaint and very ancient buildings, this is a must for you. OK, you have to put up with narrow staircases and uneven floors in places, but, to some of us, this is part of the charm of a genuinely old (but well cared-for) building. We were delighted to discover that our super-cosy room (New College Room) had been up-dated with a lovely en suite bathroom, which succeeded in being very efficient but very traditional at the same time, because of the way it was decorated. Stuart Holloway does an excellent full English breakfast or, if you prefer, blueberry pancakes the American way (with bacon and maple syrup - Carrie's influence, perhaps?) And the location for the city centre could not be better; you are opposite New College and less than four minutes walk from the Bodleian Library and the Sheldonian Theatre. Not only that, but the B & B has its own secure PARKING, surely a clincher for many guests.There is even a "secret" passageway to the ancient Turf Tavern from Holywell Street. The Turf has been frequented by numerous well-known people, inter alios Inspector Morse and Bill Clinton. (Note: one of these is fictional). Carrie and Stuart were ever obliging as usual when a) we were a bit later arriving than we said we would and b) being flexible about our departure time to accommodate a family function. We love the place. I'm sure you would, too.

Room Tip: Well, the Merton and All Souls rooms might be a tad quieter but share a bathroom, while the New Coll...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Swanseabayok
Carrie H, Owner at Holywell Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences staying with us. We're very happy you enjoyed our home, Carrie's breakfast, and all the charm of Oxford. Just as a note, the All Souls Room and The Merton Room now have private bathrooms as well. We hope we see you both again very, very soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

room is so nice but it's not en-suite room. However, that's not a problem because there are 2 bathrooms and both of them have a big tub and very clean. Breakfast was also excellent. It just like home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Carrie H, Owner at Holywell Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your kind words and we're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We're also happy to say that in October we added an ensuite to the New College Room, and the Merton and All Souls Rooms have their own large and private bathrooms. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see you in Oxford again one day.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our last two nights in Britain and what a lovely way to end our holiday. The house is extremely old and beautifully decorated, but because of its age has steep staircases, low ceilings and shared bathrooms, but this all added to its character! Carrie and Stuart were great hosts, we were made very welcome, our excess luggage was stored for us, the beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom large with an excellent shower (you win the comp for the best shower, Stuart ). We did Stuart's Walking Tour which was interesting and informative. The B & B is extremely well situated and within easy walking distance of most of Oxfords attractions, including The Turf tavern, the oldest Pub in Oxford. Lovely place for a drink but don't bother eating there. We had a great meal down the road at the Red Lion Pub. Definitely recommend Holywell to anyone visiting Oxford.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we're so pleased you enjoyed your time in Oxford with us. Since you were, here we've made some changes, and all bathrooms are private now--but still have excellent showers! Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we hope to one day see you in Oxford again.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in several b&bs, hotels and guesthouses in Oxford and I must say this is one of the best! Excellent service, cosy and clean room, lovely breakfast and convenient location! Can't believe it took me so long to know about this gem in the beautiful city! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Minicooperlover

Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you back in Oxford and our home very soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Spent 2 nights at this delightful B and B right in the heart of Oxford. I had the 'room at the top,' a very tastefully decorated ancient-looking place accessed via a narrow winding stair.The owner was very welcoming and hospitable. The atmosphere overall is very 'Olde English,' and made my stay in Oxford seem that much more enjoyable and authentic. Breakfast was excellent. Highly recommended. Prof. Alan Duben. P.S. There's a very well-maintained shared bath.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

We just stayed in this charming B&B last weekend while attending graduation in Oxford. Carrie and Stuart were attentive hosts and run a clean and welcoming hotel.They made sure that our car was safely parked, helped with our luggage and made us a delicious blueberry pancake breakfast. We were so delighted that we spent an extra night here because luckily our room was available. This B&B is excellent value and its lovely to be surrounded by all the historic college buildings. We hope to be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Perhaps it was because I was on my own for the first time, but I didnt feel very welcome here. I was bundled up to my room and it was all a bit of a hurry. I didnt want a cooked breakfast but I was not able to serve myself as I would have liked. I would have preferred a choice of fruits, yoghurts and cereals.
Another negative was that when leaving I dragged my suitcase down the narrow staircase by myself, Help was offered but it should have been insisted upon.
However the location was brilliant, very central and I did enjoy Oxford very much

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo