“Great location - expensive WiFi”
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

Holiday Inn Oxford
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This Holiday Inn is ideally located with free parking. Use the Park and Ride to town. Staff will direct you to it just opposite behind the Shell Fuel station. WiFi costs are a joke. Don't pay unless you need it for long term business. Buy breakfast and a coffee opposite at Starbucks and receive FREE WiFi. The Holiday Inn must loose many breakfast customers as a large number of patrons were in Starbucks using WiFi to contact family etc. One or two business people from hotel there also. Overall great location and room.

Room Tip: Back rooms away from roundabout. We asked for room with quite location.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is a pleasure to receive such positive feedback regarding our Hotel. Unfortunately the internet is a chargeable service which is set centrally and out of our control at hotel level. Your comments have been forwarded.
Thank you once again for your comments and I hope that you visit us again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Easily accessible by road, with bus links to Oxford city centre near-by. Otherwise a bit remote, with just a KFC and a tiny Waitrose near-by. Large car park available.

Check-in was quick and extremely friendly. Small restaurant and bar also available, offering a reasonable selection of drinks and disappointing food for typically high hotel prices. A BBQ was also offered on sunny evenings. Again the staff were great.

I stayed in an executive room, which was a decent size. The bed was comfortable, and a selection of pillows was offered. Two small and very uncomfortable armchairs took up a lot of space in the room though. Good sized desk, with a huge flat screen TV on it. However, a tall desk chair blocked the view of the television, and there was nowhere to move this to without rearranging the furniture in the room. Admittedly a minor problem, but annoying none the less.
A safe, iron, dressing gown and fridge with complimentary water were provided. Wi-Fi was quite slow, and costs an extortionate £16 per day.

The bathroom was a good size, and nice toiletries and useful sewing kits were provided in the executive rooms. Shower-over-bath offered good water pressure, but the shower head was far too low – can’t be comfortably used by anyone over about 5’10''.
Biggest issue was the dirty bathroom floor. Had a word with housekeeping the following morning who were very apologetic and thankfully my entire room was kept immaculate for the remainder of my stay, but cleanliness isn't something I should have to ask for.

Although this hotel offers excellent staff and a great night sleep, the poor Wi-Fi, poor housekeeping, poor food, high prices, and out of town location put me off returning here.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your review following your visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am pleased that you did like the Hotel and amenities but do apologise for the poor level of cleanliness of your bathroom floor.
I am sorry that our location has deterred you from possibly returning but glad that you found our staff helpful & friendly.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Had a business meeting here and stayed the night. I found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. The hotel was clean and my room was spotless. All the usual facilities that one would expect. For me the reason I haven't scored the Holiday Inn Oxford full marks was that when I went to order my meal there was no one in the restaurant, even though there were a couple of couples eating there, so the bar was the only option. But many other people had obviously found the same issue. The bar vas very busy with only one barman doing his best but rushed off his feet trying to take food orders and serve a busy bar. He did OK but it just took a while.

If you are travelling the Holiday Inn is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back. They don't get the noise from the A34
1  Thank CheshireChap58
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind & positive review of the Holiday Inn Oxford left on TripAdvisor. I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that you liked the hotel and found the staff helpful & friendly. Your comments regarding the Restaurant have been fed back to our Bar & Restaurant Manager and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused on this occasion.
I do hope that you visit us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here for one night to break up our journey. The reception staff on duty couldn't have been nicer, very friendly and helpful. Our room was also good, as you would expect from a holiday inn, and within a few minutes of checking in we had a phone call from reception to check that everything was ok.

As we had a long drive the next day, we opted for room service breakfast and hung our card outside the door accordingly. It does advise that it may arrive 10 minutes either side of your requested time, however, after 20 minutes, still no breakfast. When we phoned room service to make enquiries we got an answering machine. After another 5 or 10 minutes we had to leave and went to reception. We told the receptionist about our breakfast not arriving but the only response we got was 'Well you haven't been charged". Not really the point we were making, we were more concerned that our order hadn't been fulfilled, to which the reply was 'Sometimes they get lost'.

A really different attitude from the staff on duty the previous night and one which caused us to leave feeling disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest
I am very sorry to read you had mixed service experiences from our Reception Team during your recent stay. We take great pride in the typically high level of service provided by our Reception Team and I am very sorry that upon leaving the Hotel you feel this did not come across. Having fully investigated your comments I conclude that for whatever unknown reason no breakfast card hanger was collected from your room door hence the reason for us not having the knowledge of your order. I understand apologies were offered as you were leaving and that you were informed the matter would be investigated, whilst at the same time the Receptionist quickly verified that you had not been charged. My apologies if his explanation did not come across in the manner and the way it was meant. On a more positive note I am pleased you otherwise enjoyed your stay and, despite being somewhat disappointed, you will be happy to stop off with us again when travelling past Oxford.
Kind regards
Joost van Spengler

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. I chose this hotel because of the gym as most of the central Oxford hotels lack such facilities. The bedrooms are standard Holiday Inn rooms - very clean and functional. The gym was reasonable although some of the ageing equipment was sadly broken.

I had dinner in the hotel. Apparently, this Holiday Inn is one of 5 trailing a new menu. Well, it was dreadful! The choices were almost all high carb, high fat nightmares! Most business travellers want to eat healthily when away. I did eventfully choose something and the staff were willing to let me adapt a dish but Holiday Inn really do need to do better!

My only other issue was wifi. Why on earth, these days, isn't it free? Wifi is almost a basic human right in 2013!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford. We are indeed trialling a new menu concept and your comments have been fed back to our Head Office, as guest feedback is greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately wifi charges are set by our Head Office and again your comments have been noted.
Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to leave your comments.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Ideal location for seeing all the attractions in and around Oxford
We visited Legoland, Silverstone, and Bicester all of which were close
Don't rely on the local Waitrose - it is extremely overpriced

Pool perfect and ideal to keep kids entertained

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review. I am really pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you liked the location to visit the local attractions in and around Oxford.
I do hope that you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The hotel is ok - it was clean, the staff were well trained and "on message" but the room I had was dark and overlooking a major road so it was noisy with the window open (summer). There is a decent gym/pool available for guests. For everything else, you have to pay, internet, breakfast. I bought an evening snack which was not noteworthy for quality but was for being pricey.

No need to hurry back here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford.
I am pleased that you found the Hotel clean and the staff friendly & helpful. We do offer bed & breakfast inclusive rates and unfortunately wifi charges are set by our Head Office and out of our control at hotel level.
Thank you once again for your feedback.