“Excellent hotel and facilities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

Holiday Inn Oxford
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Lancashire
“Excellent hotel and facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I found this hotel to be clean and tidy with spacious hotel rooms. I used the swimming pool and steam / sauna and although small, these were also well organised and clean. There was a section of pool reserved for swimmers and another section where children could play and so everyone was happy.

The food was good and breakfast was excellent and regularly refreshed. We were seated quickly and had no waiting time queuing for a table or food.

My only grumble would be that although our room was reserved for two guests, there was only one robe provided. And water and chocolate was left in the room as a gesture for the comfort of the guests but again, only for one person. If the hotel is going to provide these things, then allocate the correct number to the room otherwise the gesture is lost. It looks like penny pinching...

I also stayed at The Oxford down the road and the Holiday Inn is far superior.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank notdunroamin
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Oxford and for your kind comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the Hotel and facilities.
Your comments regarding robe and chocolate in your bedroom has been shared with my Housekeeping Manager and I do apologise that there was only one of each left for you.
I do hope that you visit us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back to Oxford.
Joost van Spengler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

When I booked this property for our May, 2014, pilgrimage of 20 people, I was hoping that this “American” style hotel would provide a familiar "oasis" for our group, half way through our stay in the UK. Our other hotels were more typical "English style" properties, each with its own ambiance and atmosphere. Unfortunately, this property did not hold up well next to its British cousins.

With a group of 20 Americans who had been travelling on the road all day, everyone was anxious to go to their rooms, get on the internet, and find out what was going on at home. When we found out that the internet, which is free for All Elite IHG® Rewards Club Members, was £15 per day (around $27) for non members, the grumbling began. Eventually management, in an act of good faith, reduced our cost to £10 (around $18) a day per room, still quite pricey Most went across the street to a coffee shop where it was free.

When we entered the hotel we saw a carpet that appeared worn and in need of a shampoo. On the other hand, the bedrooms were clean, well appointed with wonderfully comfortable beds and a great flat-screen TV. The bathroom was clean and well equipped with amenities. We all enjoyed an excellent night’s sleep.

Upon arrival, our group was greeted by a very friendly Assistant Manager who had the keys and check-in cards well organized. Unfortunately, each person was asked to fill out his/her meal choice before entering the hotel. After the longest coach ride of the trip, this was rather off-putting. Other hotels where the group ate evening meals had sent similar requests to me, the organizer, ahead of time which I distributed to the group prior to departure. Each member filled out his/her request weeks in advance and their choices returned to the hotel, well in advance of our arrival.

We were told this would speed up our service at dinner time. Heaven forbid if we hadn’t done this! As it were, it took over 1½ hours for our group to be served. The quality of the food was inconsistent. Some travelers reported excellent dishes, others mediocre and over priced, and several of the servers downright unfriendly and inflexible.

The next evening most of the group ate “on their own,” wherever they wished. Checking whether or not the previous night’s service and food quality was a fluke, several of us chose to stay in the hotel and order from the menu. One member of our group ordered a hamburger from the menu. He was told it would take an hour to prepare and that it could not be served less than “well done.” Others ordered various items, some just a variety of starters. Again, some were excellent, others moderately disappointing. All seemed over priced.

The morning English breakfast, on the other hand was excellent.

The bar area was quite large and clean. It offered ample room for libation, relaxation and conversation.

The hotel offered a top-of-the-line recreational facility which was free to guests. There was a 15-metre heated pool, two Jacuzzis, saunas and steam rooms. The changing rooms were spotless as was the rest of the health facility. Massages were also available.

On the first night of our stay we needed a semi-private room in which to hold a short group meeting. Management was very helpful and immediately set up a space for our group.

Although this property had many advantages such as location, excellent beds and bedding, a wonderful health facility, and friendly management, I would hesitate before booking a group there again, primarily because of the restaurant (food, service, and lack of foresight in dealing with a group), lobby cleanliness, and pricy internet connections.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JamesKWinc72
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much indeed for your detailed review of your groups visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford.
I am pleased that you did enjoy your stay with us despite the pre-order request on check-in. Your comments regarding service in the restaurant has been noted and share with my Restaurant Manager for re-training purposes.
I am glad that you took advantage of our Health Club and found the staff all courteous and helpful throughout the Hotel.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Morgantown, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hotel is literally on the major roundabout into Oxford. Getting to it and using the Park N Ride adjacent to it to duck into downtown Oxford was its best characteristics. Carpets are dirty. Prices for everything other than the room are outrageously high and internet access is 10pounds per hour or 15 pounds per day!!! Room was too hot, and the airconditioner refused to go below 76F even when it was 59F outside. So we opened the window to cool the room down, but being right at the major roundabout... the traffic noise was loud.

This is a major hotel for all the bus tours. Avoid if you don't want to be treated like a bus tour vacationer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback following your visit to Oxford. I can confirm that all of our carpets are very clean, however can at times change in the light depending on the way the carpet is woven.
Thank you again.
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights for the may half term. Very warm welcome, our room wasn't quite ready (we were early) and the lovely receptionist gave us two free drinks voucher so we could have a drink whilst we waited. Room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. We had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant on Monday evening and again, the staff were very attentive and the food was lovely. Buffet breakfast was disappointing and the food very chewy but on the second morning I ordered poached egg on toast which was lovely. Every time you walked past a member of staff, they always acknowledged us which was nice. Used the pool facilities twice but the Jacuzzi wasn't working until the Wednesday which was a bit disappointing. The whole stay was lovely and we would definately stay there again, in fact we stayed a couple of years ago and we had an excellent stay back then so standards have been kept.

Well done to the staff of the Holiday Inn, Peartree, Oxford !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SurreyGirl77
Dear Guest,
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent (and past) stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am very pleased that you liked the Hotel and it's facilities and apologise that the Jacuzzi was unavoidably closed for part of your visit.
I do hope that you visit again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back to Oxford.
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were not staying at this hotel but staying at the Travelodge on the same site, I actually didn't realize the holiday inn was on the same site, wish I had checked .
We decided to have an evening meal there rather that go out as we had already bought the 24hr parking ticket (£3). hotel very light modern and airy and very fresh looking. we were greeted by Juan I guess restaurant manager, we were seated and provided with menus. I chose the prawn salad to start, very plain actually would have been better with a sauce but ingredients were very fresh, had some garlic bread fingers on the side. my main was the duck confit with vegetables, these meals are probably bought in but non the less was pleasant. I asked the waiter if the desert were made in house but they were not, I still chose the cheesecake and for a bought one it was quite nice. For the type of hotel I don't think you would expect to receive a gourmet meal but we were very satisfied with what we had and I have to say the staff are exceptional, extremely professional, helpful and polite , nothing to much trouble. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will stay here on our next trip to Oxford.

1 Thank champagnegirlie
Dear Guest,
Many thanks indeed for posting your review of the Holiday Inn Oxford, especially as you were not actually staying directly with us. I am very pleased that you dined in our Restaurant and enjoyed your meal along with the friendly and helpful service from my restaurant team.
I am pleased to read that you would stay with us on your next visit to Oxford and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel.
Thank you once again.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hard to find without a Sat Nav/GPS - but then next to park and drive (15 minute walk to bus) to downtown Oxford a city worth visiting - hotel is near a gas station and supermarket. we ate in and it was good.

1 Thank selkirk2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback following your visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and hope that you visit again in the future.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was a stay with my wife on our anniversary, the check in was first rate with all the facilities explained, once we arrived in the room the reception phoned to check that the room was all that was expected - it was. As it was late, we decided to have a meal in the restaurant and when I asked for an addition to my meal the waiter said he'd check. The meals came in a good time, butt the waiter said rather than brie on the burger, they'd put cheddar on it and apologised and said that he'd change it, but I was famished so I didn't take him up on the offer. The chips though were cold, but these were easily changed, but the meal wasn't charged with the waiter explaining it was his fault. The breakfast was the works and as a result didn't need anything else until 4:00 pm the next day. The whole customer service was a model,
Definitely will stay there again

2 Thank SteveChester58
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Oxford. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay with your wife on your Anniversay! I am very pleased that you liked the Hotel, however apologise for the shortfall you experienced in the restaurant on the evening of your arrival.
Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that you visit us again in the future.