“Bad as usual and overpriced”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Hamburg, Germany
“Bad as usual and overpriced”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed that place twice and both times I have to same bad experience.

The hotel is located in walking distance to the center but this is almost the only good thing about it. The staff doesn't seem to be very competent or friendly. The building is one of those typical badly built British properties where you can't open any window. Especially in the winter the rooms are terribly cold and air condition is hardly manageable. Some of the rooms are a bit newer than others but on average you need to walk 10 minutes to find your room. The rooms itself are spacious but as the walls are thin and it is very noisy and you hear doors slashing all night.

Bottom line, this place is overpriced and you cannot expect anything then a bad stay. This place is continued to be run to make profit with the least investment possible.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gjacobi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here and were treated as second class occupants due to a wedding function that was on the same day. Unable to get a drink due to drunk guests (not blaming them) at the bar, but staff, especially at reception were unhelpful & rude and cowardly management who hid in the office also not willing to help. This hotel maybe OK but clearly need to separate private functions from 'paying' guests - restaurant staff unable to get to bar themselves - crazy! Will stick to Randolf, Malmaison or Old Bank House all way better - try these first.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris T
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend. The welcome I got at the reception was warm and nice even though it took about 30 minutes to get my room ready. The room was not the typical British small roomed type. Quite spacious and neat. I couldn't get my TV to work and it took less than ten minutes to get someone to fix it. At the restaurant, there was quite a crowd and because it took almost 30 minutes to get me seated, the manager was full of apologies and that was quite considerate and nice. Nice decor with great English traditions and meals meeting modernity. Not bad at all!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Oxford, England
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Oxford Spires hotel, part of the small Four Pillars chain, is situated a mile or so South of Oxford city centre and a couple of hundred yards from our home. We regularly stay at its sister hotel at Tortworth (well-placed for Slimbridge and Westonbirt) but only visit Oxford Spires for Sunday Lunch when our son is at home.
Sunday Lunch here is a carvery set-up with all that that implies, - plentiful supplies of unpretentious hearty food that is filling rather than fine dining, presenting an open invitation to adept plate mountaineers.
Today was utter chaos with a host of apparently untrained poorly informed table staff (couldn’t possibly call them waiters) that I couldn’t recall seeing before. They initially couldn’t remember what their specials for the day were, couldn't find pate on their own menu, insisted that their main course fish special was smoked salmon (it was actually smoked haddock), then succeeded in delivering only one of the two drinks that we’d initially ordered. Generally staff were wandering around in a daze and clearly not enjoying themselves.
When we finally got through to dessert, two of them insisted (after having to check - they couldn't remember - that their selection included vanilla sorbet, - it turned out that it was a sorbet – not vanilla but mango. It took a while to discover this as they only delivered two of our three desserts and when we pointed this out they thought we were trying to order seconds.
In the end we couldn’t get out fast enough. That’s literally true – we couldn’t get out fast enough. Customers have to queue here to pay their bills at a single checkout point and a long line of people in front of us were querying their bills.
It must happen occasionally that a restaurant finds itself with an influx of untrained staff for whatever reason. The responsibility for coping with this circumstance without undue distress to either customers or to the staff involved lies firmly with the restaurant management team. Unfortunately, today they seemed oblivious to the dissatisfaction that we felt - and could observe on surrounding tables - and to the distress of their staff.
I shudder to think how Oxford Spires will cope with the approaching festive season but I would advise Trippers to think twice before booking here until they read that some brave souls have tried it out and report that the service has improved.

Room Tip: This review is for the restaurant only.
3 Thank mmc_oxford
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

First off - the main grumble: When we arrived at the desk to check in I gave my name. The Reception clerk said, “We don’t have any reservation under that name.” I spelled out my name once more. “No, nothing... Are you sure that you are staying here?” he asked arrogantly.

I then gave the clerk my booking reference. He looked again at his screen, “No, nothing... did you just book on-line today?” I told him that I had booked and paid for the room two weeks ago. “No, nothing.” He said.

He then stared at me as if I was mad. It looked like he was hoping I would just go away. “Could you try one more time?” I pleaded - I gave my name again. “Ah... here it is” he said, “The screen got stuck - it wasn’t refreshing itself.” No apologies. Just a shrug of his haughty shoulders.

For THIS REASON and this alone, I would never book to stay at the Oxford Spires Four Pillars ever again. It was an unnecessarily stressful experience to put us through, it was thoroughly embarrassing and totally unwelcoming.

I think that if I had been the Reception Clerk on duty that day - and I had made such a catastrophic error - then I would have sunk to my knees in humble apology... I would grovel for forgiveness from the customer. Instead, the staff here seemed insouciant and mildly disdainful to us. So, for the remainder of our stay, we were firmly under the impression that the hotel did not really want ‘Our sorts’ in their property. We felt that they would have far preferred us to ‘Give Up at the first hurdle’ and left the hotel when they couldn’t find our booking. Even though we had already paid. The hotel sign outside should say “No riff-raff”.

The hotel was OK. A bit tired. The bathroom was clean but it needed re-decorating. The bedroom was fairly nice with a pleasant view out onto some woodland. We had a drink in the bar -which was not memorable but adequate. Our stay was acceptable. But it was soured by that horrid reception.

One last word of warning: This hotel is not in the City. It is at least a 20 minute trek up the Abingdon Road. It’s fine if you visit Oxford by car - but we were walking from the bus-stop on the High Street. Try to find a place that’s more central if you are not a driver.

We had wanted to use the spa and the restaurant but we decided against it - we felt unwelcome - so we went 'out' for meals.

Room Tip: Some nice views at the back. This is a very large property with long corridoes - of you have some mo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've stayed here quite a few times over the last ten years. It is without pretence, the rooms are sizeable, furnishings good, the staff always very attentive.The position is very good,it is pleasantly located close to the River Thames and for access to Oxford City centre, a ten minute walk along the main road, or you can use the tow path by the river for part of the way (to Folly Bridge) it would take a few minutes in a taxi, but traffic can be quite bad near rush hours. Because of its layout it is quite peaceful in the rooms, even when the hotel is full.It is usually possible to park close to an entrance near your room, which is convenient. Check-in is efficient, the desk staff usually very pleasant. I would not particularly recommend the cuisine for a sit down meal, but quite adequate for a snack or if you don't wish to go out.The Bar staff are very attentive and the drinks are not , unfortunately the bar has a large TV screen usually showing sport, which I hate (except when I want to see something) A TV lounge would be a good idea. The breakfast can be a bit of a scramble at weekends, notably on Sunday mornings, early is the best option, whilst others are having a lay-in.
All in all this is a good choice for a weekend or short break.

2 Thank Paraffle
Daventry
Reviewed 12 November 2013

9th and 10th of November. We booked 6 double rooms for our family , all of us swam in the indoor swimming pool Sat afternoon, Evening drinks with canapes, followed by dinner, the food was fantastic. We were spoiled from start to finish, we left late on the Sunday after a real English breakfast. Service was brilliant, I .would fully recommend this hotel for your next doo. Considering.how full the hotel was with various parties going on, we were over joyed with the personal service and attention we were given... .