“weekend break in Oxford”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
solihull
“weekend break in Oxford”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We enjoyed a weekend break in a Chic Twin room. The hotel is approximately a 10-15 min walk into the town of Oxford which was pleasant to do,despite the mixed weather in May. It is set back from the main road, in a rural setting, complete with a view of horses grazing in the fields.
The staff were very pleasant and the room was spacious.We booked the dining experience weekend, where one meal was taken in the hotel and the other at the Living Room, within Oxford Castle. My only 'gripe' would be over the 3 course hotel meal being exclusive of tea/coffee at the end. When I have stayed elsewhere, either overnight or on a half board basis, I have always found that the coffees were included with the meal. If we had been staying a week here we would have easily racked up a bill of £50+ just for coffees! The dinners were very tasty, if a little short on the vegetable portions and, with the lack of coffee included, smacked a little of cost cutting. I would like Four Pillars to reconsider offering a fully inclusive dinner in future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice and in a great location. Old and new combine to make for a quiet stay with all the modern amenities. The handicapped room we had was not easy to navigate for either the person in the wheelchair or myself. The staff was lovely and public areas very comfortable.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Flitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and a group of friends recently stayed for a weekend and whilst the hotel was OK I expected more of a 4 star hotel at over £160 a night.

It started badly when the receptionist was unable to find all our rooms by the booking reference, they had to search through for each person and print the check in form - this was completely inefficient and the receptionist appeared to be confused. We also had to complete two pre-authorisation transactions as he did the first one for the wrong amount.

The rooms were dated, had no air conditioning, and the curtains were not very effective at keeping out the light; given the muggy summer conditions this was not ideal. There was an iron and ironing board in the room however the water holder lid was broken off so any vigorous movement lead to a torrent of water coming out of the top.

I was disappointed that after I left my towel in the bath for replacement I did not get one. It appears they decided I only needed one as I was in the room on my own as they also removed the second set of toiletries and the second set of biscuits. That evening I needed a shower and had to reuse the same towel in the morning - again I do not feel that is 4 star service.

The main redeeming feature was the breakfast which was pretty good for £9.99. We ate at 30 minutes before the end of breakfast and they had already run out of some items on the Saturday which were never replaced but on Sunday morning there was plenty. A good selection of fruit, cereals, pastries and full English buffet.

When leaving the hotel further confusion ensued at reception as the porter told us we needed to speak to reception to put our bags in the bag room and reception telling us to speak to the porter.

This was a relaxing hotel that should be very nice, however the service and rooms severely let it down. Is it worthy of 4 star status? Probably but not by much.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt R
British Isles
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for two nights over a weekend with my wife. The hotel is in a great setting, close to the river surrounded by greenery and with a pleasant 10 to 15 min walk into Oxford going past the popular 'head of the river' pub.
Rooms were clean, relatively large with a comfy bed, a good shower and a bath. Staff all seemed friendly and the breakfast had a great selection including pastries, granola or a full cooked English.
I'd rather score it 7/10 so feel a little harsh going for 3/5 but I found the soundproofing in the rooms to be very poor, I notice others have made similar comments, we were unlucky enough to be on the ground floor on the main corridor to the bedrooms; the downside seemed to be that as the functions (wedding etc) finished the guests trooped noisily down the corridor and even those not shouting woke us up simply by talking, add to that those that did shout, noisy doors closing, neighbours arguing in the early hours then we hardly slept either night. To the hotel's credit when I mentioned this in a subsequent survey they offered me a discounted rate if I returned, with a guarantee of a quiet room away from this corridor.
So my tip to you is that this is a good hotel if you can be guaranteed a quiet room.
We didn't get chance to use the leisure club or pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one away from the main corridor
1 Thank baxi
home
Reviewed 22 July 2014

we stayed at this hotel after the C L A game fair for two nights , this hotel is in a very good location a short walk into Oxford , but very over priced £189,00 per night no breakfast that was £15.00 each . the room was no better than any travel lodge i have stayed in and the bathroom not that clean . stay here only for the location

Bruton
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Deciding on quick getaway, we booked the Oxford Spires because of the luxury 'Chic' room was available and a complimentary mini bar was included. We arrived to find that there was no mini bar at all!!! We complained only to be told that the 'Chic' rooms do not have a mini bar! So why do they advertise that fact?
To be fair, they supplied us with some drinks for the room, but as the temperature was around 32 degrees, everything was warm and did not make for refreshing drinking at our disposal. There was also no fans supplied to keep cool and being on the ground floor we could not even leave our windows open when out, so came back to a stifling hot room which made us sweat immediately!!
Also, the cleaning staff were very noisy early in the mornings, banging doors and generally not thinking of the guests sleeping (this was at 6 in the morning!!)
On the upside, the staff were friendly and helpful but the Deacon restaurant was slow, not a good atmosphere and certainly not 4 star surroundings. (Pedro was a super waiter and should be acknowledged so because the others were just going through the motions)
All in all, we were very disappointed with The Spires hotel and would not think about returning, certainly not after Paying £428 for just 2 x nights

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at four pillars for the weekend as we came from Turkey with our daughter who's here for an English course at St. Catharines college . We had a fantastic stay at the hotel we were looked after very well I must say the reception staff was very good especially Serjo and Hannah but can't say much about the nite staff , hotel it self was very nice good food good service at the restaurant pleasant staff. Hotel is in a good location 15mins walk in to the center or taxi (£5-£7) . The hotel have a car service which is all Mercedes very nice was very impressed with that clean cars, overhaul nice will come back again.

Stayed July 2014