“Lovely B&B, but slightly out of tune” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burlington House Hotel

Burlington House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
UK
“Lovely B&B, but slightly out of tune”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

I stayed in this lovely B&B for a week-end with my husband. It is located in Summertown, a pleasant part of Cambridge which is very green and quiet. We walked into town the first morning which took us about 20-25 minutes. We used the bus afterwards which goes regularly.
We booked the kingsize room. The bed was very comfortable, but much smaller than expected. I doubt it was actually kingsize. The decoration was modern with stylish furniture, the bathroom had an odd shape (oval), but was clean.
The manager was very friendly and kind. The breakfast was good, with home-made bread and cereals, but I had expected a bit more, since it was included in the Michelin guide. The music that was played to the breakfast was really out of tune with the whole style of the B&B: it was charts from the radio and the manager was running around saying "alright, guys", "see you pals". This was quiet funny to see, but did not go down very well with the syle of the house and the breakfast room.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay, but not as much in tune as I had expected.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
KENT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

This is an excellent place to stay if visiting Oxford. Really easy to get into the City Centre by public transport, so leave the car in the hotel car park! Room was comfortable and the breakfast first rate. The manager is extremely helpful and his recommendations on restauarants were spot on.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

A most comfortable stay, can not fault service on anything. Excellent breakfast was just a bonus to the whole stay. Def be back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I always go through Trip Advisor first for all my accommodation needs. But it was through reading Lonely Planet that made me stumble upon Burlington House; a quaint, just a little too far, yet a charming little gem in Oxford.

Of course I then discovered it is highly rated on this site. Which was a plus!

I emailed first and inquired for availability. I had a swift response from Nes - The manager. Was promised a Double Bedroom and because it was a long weekend, had to secure the property right away! Smooth transaction!

Arrived at Oxford early and checked in. I thought the distance from Oxford proper to Burlington House was a little too far. But with the bus stop right in front and buses running every fifteen minutes or so, it didn't really matter. First impression of the place was a little deceiving. A little on the crammed side (as in, it looks quite compact and small), but when you get in, its amazing how big and how many rooms can this House fit in! I got shown my room as they were still cleaning it (I was early after all), and I was amazed of how spacious it was.

I got a bit worried because the room was facing the road. Our room was on the first floor. Was really surprised. Apart from the TV/ Audio noise from the neighboring rooms, we couldn't hear the traffic outside! It was a plus!

The bathroom is slightly refurbished and with a slightly dormitory feel (plastic base showers), but the blast from the shower was wonderful and the hot water was great! Breakfast was served in a small dining area and just a warning, get in early 'coz if the house is running on 70 -90 percent full, there is a wait for a table or two. The scrambled eggs were great to have!

Oxford is a fun place to go on a long weekend. Make sure though that there is a plan in mind (especially on outside tours). We pretty much made our itinerary impromptu, just to make it more adventurous. My partner and I visited Blenheim Palace and would probably visit it again during the summer months. It was raining all weekend when we were there. We probably will also investigate the river side of Oxford next time around!

Another good thing about Burlington House is its close proximity to Summertown. Mixture of shops and cafes just down the road! Burlington House Hotel was a great accommodation for our initiation to Oxford.

Bedford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed at the Burlington for four nights in April 2009. Due to the Hotel being full we stayed in two rooms: the first night was Room 2 (on the second (top) floor). This was a double room and was compact. There was sufficient room to move around but not spacious. Room 7 (three nights) was on the first floor. This was a twin room and was much larger – plenty of space and a couple of easy chairs. In both rooms the bathroom (shower really) were spotless. (Room 7’s bathroom was (again) larger.) The rooms had a flat screen TV, but only Terrestrial stations – no satellite.

Strangely the top floor room was noisier that the second floor. Both rooms were at the front – so we could hear traffic, but the road was not too busy at night.

Be aware that there is no lift so make sure you can get your bags up the stairs.

Breakfast was served in the small dining room – there is excellent cereal, granola and home-made yoghurt available and a reasonable selection of freshly cooked items. The coffee is fresh – but only if you do not want decaffeinated – that is instant.

On week-days they allow one and half hours for breakfast, but only an hour on weekends – this can cause delays because the dining room cannot cope if everyone turns up at the same time. My suggestion would be to extend the weekend breakfast “opening time”.

Summertown is within easy walking distance and has a large variety of shops (including an M&S, a Co-op and a Tesco). As we had tickets for the theatre on all nights we were there, we ate in Oxford in the evenings and so we did not try any of the restaurants in Summertown.

A Tip:
Park the car – use the (frequent) buses – the numbers 2 and 7 pass the front of the hotel and the stops are only a short walk away.

1 Thank GOMCP
Hsinchu, Taiwan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

The quote for a double ensuite room was received in the afternoon for 90 pounds in the afternoon. Replied with my credit card information to confirm the reservation at night, but received an e-mail reply saying the room is no longer available. Instead, my option is a kind sized double room for 99 pounds. I was truly disappointed about this. I wish I could have stayed there and write a good review, but the impression I have is that their reservation system is poor for guests not able to reply IMMEDIATELY!

4 Thank Grillcorn
OxfordInsightful, Manager at Burlington House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2009
Thanks for your comments.

I'm sorry that you feel that our reservation system is poor. We try to accommodate all customer requests but we are a relatively small hotel with a limited amount of rooms. As you can appreciate we have a high volume of interest in our popular double rooms and they sell out very quickly. Whilst I appreciate that in this instance you responded later that evening, we can not book off rooms while they are still at an enquiry stage as a percentage of people do not respond after making the initial enquiry. We work on a first come, first serve basis and I apologise if you feel this is inappropriate.

I hope you will consider us again if you return to visit Oxford and we will look forward to making you welcome at the hotel.
Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

I chose to stay at the guest house because of it's 5 star guest accommodation rating.
The room that we were given was not part in the main house but in a converted conservatory as the door to the room was a conservatory window/door (bit odd) but as we were only staying for one night it was ok.
Breakfast felt chaotic and the room was not big enough to accommodate all of the guests, people had to wait in the lounge. Bit disappointed with the breakfast too as I had noticed that they had won an award for it but it was nothing to shout about.
All in all, it was ok, I had high hopes because of the star rating and the breakfast award but it just didn't do it for me!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple