“A home from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A home from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at Newton House for three nights in a twin room with a friend who I was visiting Oxford with. Booking the accommodation online was easy to do; a deposit was required with the rest of the payment not being requested until the end of our stay.

We arrived at Newton House earlier than we estimated; although our room hadn’t been serviced at the time of our arrival, we were able to leave our luggage in the room while we explored the city for the afternoon.

Each morning a tea, coffee and hot chocolate supply in our room was replenished along with new towels. The room itself was very clean and felt extremely homely with comfortable beds including plenty of pillows. There was a generous amount of storage for our belongings and features such as a flat screen television and free Wi-Fi were on hand.

Our room was situated on the ground floor. The sound of traffic on the main road outside could be faintly heard, but did not affect our sleep.

Newton House offers a fabulous breakfast menu, offering both lighter and more filling options (full English, a selection of cereals and yogurts) as well as unlimited tea, coffee and orange juice. The breakfast area was very spacious and well maintained; the staff serving us were very efficient, polite and friendly.

If I was visiting Oxford again, I would not hesitate to return to Newton House.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Julie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Williamsburg, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Newton House is okay if you are just staying a couple of days in Oxford. However, because it is on Abingdon Road, the traffic is exceptionally heavy and noisy. No A/C, so we had to leave the windows open to get the top-floor room cooled off. Breakfast was good and cooked to order.

Room Tip: Even if you request a room away from Abingdon, you may not get it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annual_Skier
Oxted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Newton House. The room was a very good size and comfortable and clean as was the ensuite. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, cooked to order.
Our room was at the front of the property and although the traffic noise was noticeable, it didn't interfere at all with our comfort.
Just one thing - it would be nice to have larger bedside tables as they are very small!
Visit and enjoy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christine F
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here with a friend whilst we went to see Paul Hollywood, lovely B&B, great location, easy walking distance to centre. Room was clean & tidy, everything you could want including extra tea & coffee, nice soft fluffy towels.
My only downside was breakfast was chaos, no-one to greet you, take orders etc, after spaking to the owner he apologised he ahd staf problems
Would defo stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shellybw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a lovely time in Oxford. The hospitality at Newton House is great.
We stayed in the lovely room and it was perfect for the two of us. The en-suite bathroom was so spacious and the temperature and pressure of the shower was just right. I didn't want to get out! The bed was so comfortable I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow. The vegetarian or English breakfast was wonderful! Cereals, fresh baked breads and jams, fresh squeezed juices, tea and made to order breakfasts. I ordered the full English breakfast, which was delicious. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Manu M
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I reviewed several Guest Houses on Tripadvisor and decided on Newton House. Sadly this was the first time that I was ever disappointed by a selection that I have made through Tripadvisor. To say that the entire place is old, tired, and worn out is an understatement. The wall paper, the bedding, and the rugs were either stained or faded, the facade of the building is run down, and the bedroom doors are quite thin and do not close properly. The amroire in our room did not close properly either so the management had a piece of tissue wadded up between the doos to keep it closed. There was also an odd smell thoughout the entire house. The internet (which I was assured was working) kept dropping out which made it dificult for my husband to conduct business as this was a working vacation for him. While it was an easy walk into the center of Oxford, the buildings close to Newton House were also run down, and there were large garbage bins in front of the houses.
The one positive aspect of the experience was Mark, he was quite helpful and kind, and if my experience was based solely on my interactions with him my overall rating would be a 5, however, I would never stay here again, and would not recommend it to future travelers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gin D

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My family (including a 1 year old toddler) and I had to take a very spontaneous trip to Oxford. We booked Newton House and arrived there only a few hours later. I must say I am not keen on trips like that and was pretty much prepared for the worst. What a lovely surprise Newton House was. Not only is it very close to the city centre (with a pushchair it took me less than 10 minutes) but they also provided a car park; which can be a bit tricky when it's busy I think but we were lucky. We then received a very warm welcome and have been shown our room (room 9) which was right at the top. I assume it has recently been refurbished as it was beautiful. Nice decor, very comfortable beds (and a cosy and nice duvet, too!) and a very clean bathroom with a large shower. The towels were soft and fluffy and there was plenty of tea and coffee. The only slight negative point for me was the strength of the shower- personally I thought it was a bit weak. Anyway, I slept like a log. The next morning we went downstairs and had the best breakfast I've ever had in a b&b- the bacon of my full english was to die for, but additionally there were yoghurts and cereal etc. For the price I could not fault it and I would (and probably will) definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family