“A charming guesthouse”
Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay in Newton House Guesthouse. Our twin room was comfortable, clean, spacious enough and very attractively decorated! The family running the guesthouse were welcoming, kind and very polite and friendly. The full English breakfast was delicious and plentiful! My only two quibbles would be that our room at night was quite warm without having a window open, and when it was open the sound of vehicles outside was a bit too disturbing. I was wondering whether air-conditioning might be possible, or perhaps double-glazing as we could still here the cars even with our windows closed. Also, I was surprised to find out that I'd already paid the full amount without realising it, as I think the money was taken off my card when I made the booking - I think I remember reading on this site that the debit card details given were for reference only and that we'd have to pay on our arrival. This is only a small thing, however!
The guesthouse is ideally located as it's only a few minutes walk from the Thames and also from the city centre and impressive historic attractions such as Christchurch College. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Louisa T

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A bit of a walk to town but is directly on the bus route. Comfortable room, reasonably priced, no complaints. Stayed five nights in April 2014 and would go back again. Just a short walk to the Head of the River restaurant, a lovely place to relax. Our first time in Oxford, had a great time. The Ashmolean is fantastic - take a day or two to visit this wonderful museum. And stop in to the Museum of Oxford in the Town Hall and take the virtual bike ride around town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkandMary42
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I came here with my daughter for just one night. We read that the place was nice and booked it for 100£! At the end we did not sleep the whole night! The place is on the main road, rooms are noisy, small and not too clean. It was very hot in the room and just impossible to sleep. Breakfast ended up at 9am and since we came at 9:10 we missed it and had to go somewhere else. In any case, by the smell and the look of it we didn't miss much :-). We did not like the location either. It took us 25m to walk to the center. The worst however in this guesthouse is the service! The owner is a very rude person who just shouted at me that he could not help me when I complained about the lack of internet in the room. I was being very polite but he just hung up the phone in my face! I was so shocked and didn't dare to complain any more. Needless to say that they charge your credit card with the full amount before you even enter the door. I know Oxford is very expensive but to pay 100£ for a place like this is a pure deception.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Gulika
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at Newton House for three nights in a twin room with a friend who I was visiting Oxford with. Booking the accommodation online was easy to do; a deposit was required with the rest of the payment not being requested until the end of our stay.

We arrived at Newton House earlier than we estimated; although our room hadn’t been serviced at the time of our arrival, we were able to leave our luggage in the room while we explored the city for the afternoon.

Each morning a tea, coffee and hot chocolate supply in our room was replenished along with new towels. The room itself was very clean and felt extremely homely with comfortable beds including plenty of pillows. There was a generous amount of storage for our belongings and features such as a flat screen television and free Wi-Fi were on hand.

Our room was situated on the ground floor. The sound of traffic on the main road outside could be faintly heard, but did not affect our sleep.

Newton House offers a fabulous breakfast menu, offering both lighter and more filling options (full English, a selection of cereals and yogurts) as well as unlimited tea, coffee and orange juice. The breakfast area was very spacious and well maintained; the staff serving us were very efficient, polite and friendly.

If I was visiting Oxford again, I would not hesitate to return to Newton House.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Newton House is okay if you are just staying a couple of days in Oxford. However, because it is on Abingdon Road, the traffic is exceptionally heavy and noisy. No A/C, so we had to leave the windows open to get the top-floor room cooled off. Breakfast was good and cooked to order.

Room Tip: Even if you request a room away from Abingdon, you may not get it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annual_Skier
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Newton House. The room was a very good size and comfortable and clean as was the ensuite. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, cooked to order.
Our room was at the front of the property and although the traffic noise was noticeable, it didn't interfere at all with our comfort.
Just one thing - it would be nice to have larger bedside tables as they are very small!
Visit and enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here with a friend whilst we went to see Paul Hollywood, lovely B&B, great location, easy walking distance to centre. Room was clean & tidy, everything you could want including extra tea & coffee, nice soft fluffy towels.
My only downside was breakfast was chaos, no-one to greet you, take orders etc, after spaking to the owner he apologised he ahd staf problems
Would defo stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends