“Grubby!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bath Place Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxford
Bath Place Hotel
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Grubby!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of a collegue who had stayed there a number of years ago, unfortunately we did not check on trip adviser first! First the good bits, the secure parking was close to the hotel, secure and for Oxford relatively cheap at £10 per night. The towels were clean and the receptionist was pleasant both on the phone and in person. However the room and more particularly the bathroom could only be described as grubby. The towels and sheets were clean but there were small holes in the sheets. The shower had a lot of black mould and the carpet was stained with what looked like oil. The breakfast was ok but again the table it's cloth and the cutlery were all stained or dirty. We only stayed one night. We had room number 8 which is apparently in the old part of the building and is accessed by incredibly steep and very narrow stairs, not for the less mobile and more of a problem coming down than up, although we were asked when booking if we had any access issues. All that said it is a lovely building and could be great with a good and thorough clean! We went to the Turf Tavern next door for our evening meal which was great!

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KMK24G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
holmfirth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Looked good on T'internet and very central. Our unsmiling receptionist showed us to our room (11) which was grubby and severely in need of a refurb. The light grey heavily stained carpet did not help. At no point during our one night stay did any of the staff offer a smile let alone ask us how we had enjoyed our stay. They clearly don't care so look around for someone who wants your business.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrishumphries

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

As a former student at Oxford Brookes university, my wife and i often return to Oxford for the weekend as we have fond memories, and Oxford is a great city to visit as you always discover something new. We had stumbled across the Bath place hotel on a previous visit and from its external appearance and location we decided it looked like an idyllic b&b/hotel to visit.
Unfortunately it is very overpriced for a 2 star hotel (£110 a night), the room was shabby, the staff on the Saturday was snooty, and the breakfast was very poor (no hot English breakfast is provided). Although the location is good, there are various other better quality hotels (often chains), which are located centrally in historic buildings, which provide the service you would expect for the price you are paying. It seems that Bath place hotel relies solely on its central location, which is a shame for what could potentially be a beautiful historic hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gudgeon75
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Quaint and centrally located. Very pleasant staff. Don't underestimate how small and pokey this place is though, and, being next to the Turf Tavern, its not the place for an early night. What is not forgiveable though is Nescafe instant coffee for breakfast. At £130/night surely they could invest in filter coffeee machine and some decent coffee or even a proper espresso machine. It was like a walk back in time to the 1970s.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Lakeland, Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Bath Place Hotel. I live in the U.S. and have never had the pleasure of staying in a 300-year-old hotel. My bedroom was charming - centered over the courtyard and looking back up the lane. The Turf Tavern, which dates from the 1300's is right around the corner. The only thing the hotel lacked was a time machine so I could go back & see what it was like there a couple of centuries ago. I WILL be coming back to Bath Place again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a family wedding. I chose Bath Place while others in the family stayed at the Old Bank and the Malmaison ~ haveing seen their accommodation I know I got the better deal!

Our room was small, but prettily decorated and furnished ~ shower room was also small but perfectly adequate. Of course the rooms are small ~ it's a very old building, and this made it charming. If you are interested in William Morris and friends it's also interesting to know that Jane Morris lived here for a while.

Service was good, we didn't have to ask for anything. And we were perfectly happy with the breakfast. I would happily stay at Bath Place again and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a some character in a hotel and is not in thrawl to the blandness of some more expensive.

I don't understand how some reviewers can think this is expensive ~ come on guys! You will be staying in the very heart of Oxford!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

The hotel is a goldmine for tourists and could really be something for its location and substance with a little effort but the quality of the hotel and quality of service was unfortunately effortless. Friendly greetings were helpful enough for roping us into this place for our wedding night but the fact that the boiler for all hot water in the building sounded like it was in our room made that £120 price tag seem already expensive. All sensation of happiness was knocked further when told that egg and bacon should cost £15 a head. The man who served me said they had an understandable 'no-bean' policy which I didn't care for anyway, but why would this also be a no-tomato, no-mushroom, no-sausage policy? Before I could ask this the man explained nonchalantly that "we don't like making the fried breakfasts, it's too much effort". It soon became apparent that this hotel that is run by the students they employ seem to think their customers are students too. This was all before I had actually checked in.
The next morning when checking out I mentioned that I'm not sure my card will be working. The person serving me before I paid and left remarked "I don't care either way, as long as I get my money then I'm happy". Basil would be charmed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple