“90th Birthday occasion”
Review of Bath Place Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxford
Bath Place Hotel
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We booked the Bath Place Hotel as it was the closest B&B to Wadham College where we were celebrating my father's 90th birthday. Parking is complimentary but about a good 10 minute walk away. The room was old but clean. All facilities included. A pity about the smell of stale smoke from the bar outside below. Bed comfortable. The buffet breakfast was most acceptable with some cereals, plain or fruit yoghurt in a bowl and cheese and ham to choose. Hot freshly baked croissants and bread rolls with jam. Options for a cooked breakfast was expensive £5 for bacon! The complimentary breakfast was plenty enough anyway. Good to be in the centre of the town with the student atmosphere. Ideal to spend an extra night to explore but this would have been expensive.

Room Tip: We had room 11, king size and we had one extra bed for our son, it advertises to cater for two extra...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was my second visit.

The hotel is an old building so has some uneven flooring and difficult staircases. The heating seems erratic; I was a little cold on my first visit but had to sleep with the window open on my second. Both visits were in winter. However, the rooms are comfortable.

Cooked breakfast is an optional extra which I have not sampled. The inclusive continental breakfast is good but not excellent. I enjoyed the meats and cheese but there was steamed bread for the toast and indifferent coffee.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

If the Bath Place were a B&B we’d rate it as ok, but it classes itself as a Hotel, a £140 a night one at that, and it is simply overpriced for the quality you get. However, the location is perfect, down a little quaint alleyway and so very atmospheric and really close to Oxford’s attractions. The continental breakfast is good and should fill you up for the day’s activities (cooked breakfast is extra £) and the general service and cleanliness was fine.

We can forgive the bedroom’s sloping floors, the crooked mantle-pieces and the general shabbiness as it’s a 17th century property and so can be expected (shabby-chic!) and being next door to the Turf pub next door is fine as they quieten down around 11.30. But although parts of the room we were in were nice the curtains didn’t fit the windows, buttons on the TV remote control didn’t work, no water came out of the basin hot water tap, the window above the bed had the cheapest most ill-fitting net curtain you can imagine (and no proper curtain), the hook on the bathroom door had been ripped off and not replaced plus the door handle on the bathroom door barely worked. One could report all these things but in a £140 a night hotel should you expect to experience them in the first place? Overall, this ‘hotel’ is ok and has so much potential but it just needs some investment and some tender-loving-care given to the rooms, good location or not.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheAs
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were in Oxford for a Xmas shopping week, I had read about the seventeenth century cottages and they sounded very interesting as we dont do pool holidays or cruises we prefer little adventures, and so it was lovely little charachter filled rooms and a hearty breakfast. Free parking a short walk away and the Bod and Sheldonian just down a short passage past the Turf Pub, what an interesting and enjoyable week thanks. M&V.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MandV2014
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The SO and I were in Oxford for a conference. Well I was and the SO was going shopping and meeting up with her young man. I choose bath Place from their website and called the number given and spoke with the proprietress. The dear lady could not have been more helpful and held the room until I could confirm on the following day. We arrived and found the place tucked away down its charming cobbled cul de sac and were shown our room by the proprietor. Shabby chic, comfortable yet calling softly out for a gentle make-over (Kirsty where art thou?). The room (No 14) was warm, comfortable and welcoming. Just in need of a lick of paint and a new duvet (bedding spotless just the rather dull man-made fibre quilt. Remember dear fellow traveller, Bath Place doesn't cater for evening meals so be prepared to search Oxford for a place to eat (Not easy on a busy Burn's Night!). Anyway Branca in Jericho turned out just fine and a nice if chilly walk later we were tucked up for the night. The Turf tavern next door has the potential to be quite noisy, but the double glazing coped admirably. Breakfast in the delightful dining room was excellent, croissant and toast with delicious prunes and apricots. very nice coffee and all in all well worth the £115 for two. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jasper T
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed 2 nights when attending the Oxford Farming Conference last week and loved it; ideally situated for the colleges and the town centre. If you are after a chain of hotels, all glass, steel and shiny, then you won't get it. What you will get is uneven and noisy floorboards, low ceilings and room decor in need of some paint here and there, and in my room (6) you don't get a walk in shower, but just a hand held attachment to use in the bath. The journey up the narrow winding staircase won't suit those perhaps elderley or infirm, but a youngster like me (52) managed without tumbling down. As someone mentioned in another review, quirky best descibes the whole feel of the stay. Staff were friendly and breakfast was good, you do have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast, but there is enough of the other usual fare to keep you full. My room was adjacent to the Tavern Pub outside, but don't worry, at closing time it all falls silent and quieter than most city centre hotels as you have no traffic, people passing buy, police sirens etc which keep me awake when staying in other hotels. Enjoy a good pint and food at the Tavern Pub and then take maybe 20/30 steps back to the hotel.

Room Tip: My Room 6 was up a steep and twisty flight of stairs, no walk in shower. Very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank WoodsySouthampton
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed for two nights in October when dropping my daughter at university. The location was perfect--just a short walk from Mansfield College--and easy to get to from the bus station. Staff was very accommodating for our arrival after midnight, and the room was lovely. Also appreciated the Turf Pub downstairs!! Will definitely go back here when I return to Oxford.

Room Tip: I stayed in a different room each night (2), and one room directly overlooked the pub. A little noi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family