“Perfect Place to Stay”
Review of Bath Place Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxford
Bath Place Hotel
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Down a small street in Oxford is an escape from the hustle and bustle of 20th century life, the Bath Place Hotel. I was in the old hay-loft and it was just what I needed after a long day of meetings. The room was clean, well-equipped (even a mini-bar!) and the bed luxurious. The city centre was within walking distance and each evening I was able to wander around and still find my way back to the hotel very easily. Breakfast was a complimentary continental buffet, or for a very reasonable price a cooked one. I also liked the paid for carpark, which is close by and takes out the hassle of trying to find a space in what is a very expensive city to park in.

Room Tip: Room 1 (the hay loft) is opposite the Turf Tavern which is a student haunt, but I heard very little...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Legionella88

Reviewed 20 March 2014

On the morning of our stay I was called to hospital where I was told my elderly mum may not have long to live. That evening my husband called the hotel to advise that we obviously could not make our weekend break. The hotels cancellation policy took effect where they would take the entire payment. They did offer a rebooking option within 4 weeks of our original stay but with our circumstances this was unrealistic. We offered to make full payment immediately for the weekend of 9th/10th May but this was unacceptable to them. Its a shame that my money is so important to them. DISGUSTING !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 154Roy
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Really pleased with this little find, which is like a posh version of the Hotel Henry IV in Paris back in the 1980s. Fabulous location, wonderfully unspoilt, affordable, quirky, old. OK, some floors aren't even, some of the stairs are vertiginous, the furniture isn't brand new. But the service is lovely, the paid-for car parking is amazingly convenient for central oxford. We weren't bothered by the noise from the Turf, and it was a joy to be right in the centre of this beautiful city. So much more character than most hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeTrev
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We booked the Bath Place Hotel as it was the closest B&B to Wadham College where we were celebrating my father's 90th birthday. Parking is complimentary but about a good 10 minute walk away. The room was old but clean. All facilities included. A pity about the smell of stale smoke from the bar outside below. Bed comfortable. The buffet breakfast was most acceptable with some cereals, plain or fruit yoghurt in a bowl and cheese and ham to choose. Hot freshly baked croissants and bread rolls with jam. Options for a cooked breakfast was expensive £5 for bacon! The complimentary breakfast was plenty enough anyway. Good to be in the centre of the town with the student atmosphere. Ideal to spend an extra night to explore but this would have been expensive.

Room Tip: We had room 11, king size and we had one extra bed for our son, it advertises to cater for two extra...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was my second visit.

The hotel is an old building so has some uneven flooring and difficult staircases. The heating seems erratic; I was a little cold on my first visit but had to sleep with the window open on my second. Both visits were in winter. However, the rooms are comfortable.

Cooked breakfast is an optional extra which I have not sampled. The inclusive continental breakfast is good but not excellent. I enjoyed the meats and cheese but there was steamed bread for the toast and indifferent coffee.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

If the Bath Place were a B&B we’d rate it as ok, but it classes itself as a Hotel, a £140 a night one at that, and it is simply overpriced for the quality you get. However, the location is perfect, down a little quaint alleyway and so very atmospheric and really close to Oxford’s attractions. The continental breakfast is good and should fill you up for the day’s activities (cooked breakfast is extra £) and the general service and cleanliness was fine.

We can forgive the bedroom’s sloping floors, the crooked mantle-pieces and the general shabbiness as it’s a 17th century property and so can be expected (shabby-chic!) and being next door to the Turf pub next door is fine as they quieten down around 11.30. But although parts of the room we were in were nice the curtains didn’t fit the windows, buttons on the TV remote control didn’t work, no water came out of the basin hot water tap, the window above the bed had the cheapest most ill-fitting net curtain you can imagine (and no proper curtain), the hook on the bathroom door had been ripped off and not replaced plus the door handle on the bathroom door barely worked. One could report all these things but in a £140 a night hotel should you expect to experience them in the first place? Overall, this ‘hotel’ is ok and has so much potential but it just needs some investment and some tender-loving-care given to the rooms, good location or not.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheAs
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were in Oxford for a Xmas shopping week, I had read about the seventeenth century cottages and they sounded very interesting as we dont do pool holidays or cruises we prefer little adventures, and so it was lovely little charachter filled rooms and a hearty breakfast. Free parking a short walk away and the Bod and Sheldonian just down a short passage past the Turf Pub, what an interesting and enjoyable week thanks. M&V.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family