Bath Place Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Oxford
See available hotels
  • Free Internet
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsturf taverncobbled lanefreshly baked croissantshiggledy piggledywarm rollsseventeenth centurybridge of sighsbill clintoncontinental breakfast isexpensive citybodleian libraryrooms are smallgreat location for visitingcharming hotellow ceilingsa couple of minutes walkradcliffe camera
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We spent two lovely nights here. It's in a great central location. Yes, it's next to a pub, and there is some noise, so if you want early nights ask for a room not overlooking the pub.
The room was fine - it had character as you'd expect and I had no complaints about the cleanliness as others have reported.
Some of the service could have been improved and the breakfast is rubbish - continental and you have to pay for some extras, which at £140 a night is a bit ridiculous.
However, as a central hotel for people who want to enjoy what Oxford has to offer on their doorstep, and are not on much of a budget, I recommend it heartily.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I went to Oxford for a conference (3 nights), and my wife accompanied me. We arrived there around noon, and were allowed to leave our luggage until check-in time (2:00 PM). I thought it was way overpriced: we paid £99 per night and the room was really small, and not very clean.

We were on the third floor, and the stairs are really narrow, so we had to be very careful going up and down.

There is a little restaurant right by the hotel, and people kept making noise until 1:00 or 2:00 PM, so that was not nice at all (unless you are on the other side). The staff was helpful and breakfast was good (quality and variety). My colleague was also with his wife, and they had the ground floor room. The management does not tell you that you can make internal calls, so when I asked they told us about it!

Location wise, the hotel was very good, being with minutes from everything in Oxford. I have to say: this place could be something taking into account its history and charm, but the management is not of high quality (given the money they charge). I would not recommend this hotel for a friend.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We stayed here with a couple of friends for 1 night (friends birthday). When we arrived we had to haul our bags upstairs that were very very steep. The rooms were not very clean & my friends room had no hot water. When she complained the next morning, the man on reception said. 'well it's a good job I've got a plumber coming then'. She was not offered any money back or an apology. The other thing is that we were told the bottles in the bar were for display only, but they could serve us a bottle of wine. I was quite annoyed about this as we had asked specifically about the bar when we booked. The rooms were £105 each + £10 each per car

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank landladyWiltshire
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I wasn't too happy with my stay in this overpriced rather scruffy hotel. I was charged £75/night for one person and was annoyed to see on their website that they offer a 5% discount on this for a 2-night stay. This was not mentioned to me when I checked the price before booking earlier in the week. Breakfast is terrible - stale toast, mouldy bowl of prunes and everything in packets. The staircase is dangerous. The bathroom mediocre. Is this the penalty for staying in central Oxford.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Opencurtains
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We read the reviews before booking. It seemed that people were either very enthusiastic or very negative about this hotel, which was a bit off-putting. However, after two nights we can report that our experience was overall very good.

Of course, it's a 17th century hotel. So there is a gap under the door because the walls are not quite straight, our bathroom was tiny and the staircase is narrow. The stairs and the floor above creak. Parking is inconvenient. If you don't like all that you'd be better going to a modern hotel.

But we like 17th century hotels and very much enjoyed our stay. The room was comfortable, cosy, clean and warm. The staff were very helpful (we were allowed to inspect a couple of rooms before making our choice). The free internet worked. The continental breakfast was good and included in the price. The breakfast room itself is tastefully decorated. A particular plus was the ideally central position just around the corner from the Sheldonian.

We paid 94 GBP/night for a Monday and Tuesday in November, not exactly cheap but – hey - this is Oxford! (The reviewer who suggested the Old Bank as an alternative did not mention that this would be nearly twice as expensive.) We experienced no noise problems coming from the historic Turf Tavern next door.

Maybe the proprietors have learned from the earlier negative comments. Anyway, we had absolutely no complaints and would happily come again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ian2109