“Good service, Nice breakfast and a Comfy Room in a Good Location!”

and 1 more site!
Lonsdale Guest House
Ranked #62 of 81 Oxford B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good service, Nice breakfast and a Comfy Room in a Good Location!”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I was booked into the Lonsdale Guest House by a company I was working for. At first, I was a little disappointed to not be in Central Oxford - but, in reality, Summertown has everything you need for a one night stay!

There's a nice selection of restaurants just a short walk from the Lonsdale, or, for those who prefer to eat in, there's a Tesco, Sainsbury's and M&S also withint 2-3 minutes walk. For Central Oxford, there's a choice of frequent busses on the road, or a 25-30 minute walk (depending on your speed).

The Guest House itself was clean and welcoming, and the host very warm and friendly. I slept well, and had a lovely breakfast the next morning - so all in all, a pleasant experience! Very handy little Guest Hosue for those who want to visit Oxfrod, and not pay the Central City premiums!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Snb70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for about two months , working in Oxford , the landlady always very polite , and helpful with local info, location is excellent, breakfast lovely served early ,which suited all 10 of us as,we all started early, very clean rooms and very warm, WiFi good , all in alll a great value for money b and b! Thank you Claire!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank cmak1
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just stayed in this guesthouse for 1 night. We had a room with ensuite which was very nice. Room clean and well equiped. Enjoyed the tea and coffee choice in the room. Breakfast was lovely, excellent choice and service. Even a vegetarian option for the cooked breakfast. We will be booking this guest house again next year!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank emma h
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 June 2012

the room I had is on the top floor, with it's own separate bath, there is plenty of room, free wifi, good breakfast, bus stop and restaurants right outside and the woman who runs the place is very nice. The downside to a guest house is there is no front desk, so there is not always help when it comes to getting a cab or with other questions. But a fine place, I will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank snowydog18
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I paid about £50 to stay in this B&B which is about the starting rate of B&Bs in Oxford. It seems quite popular so book in advance. It's based in Summertown, so only really worth it, if you need to be that side, as I needed to be.
The owners are super friendly and as I was driving there, rang them several times as I was running late and they booked a taxi for me to greet me once I reached so I wasn't late for a dinner I was attending and they gave me great directions. It has free private parking in front of the B&B.
The room was ok, could have been done in a more modern way but typical of B&Bs in this price range. Surprisingly there was a fitted shower inside my room which meant that I could shower without having to leave my room! I was worried about getting the carpet wet when leaving the shower, which was a cubicle in the cormer of the room, but dried myself inside it to avoid that. There is also a sink in the room, so the only reason you need to leave is to use the toilet. (ie it wasnt an ensuite.) When I stood outside my room I could hear everything the couple next door were saying through the door (when I was locking or unlocking my door) so soundproofing isnt great, though when I was in my room, I couldn't hear them. I slept soundly and it was quiet at night. There was a strange scent in the room when I entered it upon check in, may have been a room spray, anyway it was too strong for my liking. The room had biscuits and coffee offered, which i really appreciated and think these inexpensive extras make a nice touch in B&Bs. There were also plenty of toilettries provided.
The breakfast was excellent. I had waffles and cereal and great coffee and juice. I was really impressed by what they offered in terms of continental breakfast as I don't like cooked English breakfasts. Overall it was pretty good and I would definitely stay there again. They seemed to bend over backwards for their guests too.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo