“Pleasant and Helpful”

Ranked #43 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Pleasant and Helpful”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our experience of this guest house was pleasant with an understanding and amenable owner. Despite having to cancel at the last moment we were not charged so would certainly consider staying here if in Oxford again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a beautiful victorian property in the heart of Oxford's university quarter. The owner and staff are very polite, pleasant and helpful. The rooms are tidy, well laid out with several in-room services and clean. The breakfast service is of a good standard and the owner and staff offer every assistance wherever possible with regards to Oxford's day/night life. Overall value for money service received from the guesthouse is exceptional.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are spacious and very well laid out with good nosie reduction.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Germany
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The owner is downright rude and greedy (she wanted to add the credit card charge twice, because we stayed to nights and when the card machine didn't work, she wanted us to give her the little cash we had - we had just arrived - and pay the rest later). I don't blame the poor women who does all the actual work for the room being not quite clean because the owner doesn't lift a finger while the cleaning lady is there doing everything alone (washing, cleaning, breakfast, house-sitting if the owner is out - without knowing when the owner will be back) from 7 in the morning until at least half 8 in the evening. Furthermore, there are no secure locks on any doors - the outer door of the garden house had no lock at all and the key to the door of our room was a key of that type that you use to lock doors of individual rooms of your house (in fact, it was even simpler as that). The door could have easily been forced open. The breakfast wasn't good at all, but again, I don't blame the lady who cooked it because she has to cook it all alone for 10 guests at once, so it's bound to be not cooked through (in case of the bacon) or overcooked (in case of the beans).

Room Tip: Don't come here at all.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank msplumps

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Forget all about charming bed and breakfast; this is a partly worn down house run by people that cant possible take any pride in the quality they deliver. There were no personal service just a request for payment the minute you step in. The breakfast was low quality products and they couldn't even toast But at least is was clean. I'll not come back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lars C
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 July 2013

the guest house is oke poor location. it's a long walk to Oxford. the hostess was very rude. she didn't speak proper English. And directly asked for the money. And she wanted it directly!!!. I wanted to pay with card but the machine didn't work, So she wanted cash right then. I didn't have enough cash in my pocket so I paid her 150 ponds and paid the rest later. she directly stepped in her car with the money and drove away. I was like ??? are you kidding me!!!. at my last morning I was thinking why would I pay the rest of the money. But as I am one of those fair people. I paid it any way. I will never stay there again. Next time I will find my self one of the truly English b&b's with the British standards of etiquettes. the man that served the breakfast is excluded from this he was very nice indeed. and had proper manners.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Malissa G
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I would be happy to pay half price for this room and service.
the shower is old the room is ok.
the people not friendly enough-
had a fight to pay by credit card..
they should improve their personal l service

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pha Y
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My immediate impression of the guest house was very good: the owner seemed friendly and our room was quite large with a LCD TV. However as is typical in England, the sink is very small, with separate hot and cold taps (so irritating); the bed linens had stains; and the worst part was the shower. I got in and tried to get wet but what came out of the shower head was essentially a light mist. After realizing I could barely get my body wet I opted to not risk washing my hair, thinking there was no way I'd actually be able to get out the shampoo with the poor water pressure. Friends of ours were staying in nearby rooms and they too complained about their showers, particularly that they didn't drain. The breakfast was very early and so I didn't take part - no comment there. Our room was very quiet - a definite pro. But for the price (80 pounds/night!!) I wouldn't stay here again. For that price, one should have a decent shower.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor with our own bathroom. Perhaps rooms on lower floors have better showers?
Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends