“Shame Silly but fixable things let this hotel down”
Review of Balkan Lodge Hotel

Balkan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Nuneaton, UK
“Shame Silly but fixable things let this hotel down”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just spent the weekend at the Balkan Lodge Hotel to celebrate my birthday. The Hotel was a little dated but very clean and well presented. It was however cold without the heating which seemed not to come on until 5pm the both days we were there. We went to see Cabaret on Saturday night (which was Amazing and powerful) and wanted to eat before the show so I tried to take a shower at 4pm only to find there was no hot water. I even tried the wash basin but this was cold as well. Consequently I had to shower and wash my hair in cold water!!! When we informed staff we were not left feeling that it would be addressed.

Its a shame as it could be a brilliant hotel with good parking and on an excellent bus route into the center of this wonderful city. We will be back but probably not at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willyNuneaton_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Balkan Lodge Hotel was the only place left with a room in Oxford during the first week of University. When I arrived the staff was very friendly and the room very tidy and comfortable. The Hotel is not too far from the city center and I would recommend it to anyone. Also got a served a great full English breakfast!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank vickyt0ria
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My room and bed were comfortable. The cooked breakfasts were good. However, the shower over the bath was most difficult. The shower head on the holder is at chest height and therefore needs to be handheld for the entire shower. Because the bathroom is in an attic space the ceiling is very low over the shower area which would be even more of a problem for a taller person. There is no shower screen so the floor and toilet get wet from the over spray and splashes.

Room Tip: Because of the bathroom experience I would not recommend this establishment
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was my second stay at The Balkan. As before the owner was friendly and attentive. By chance we were given room 4 which was comfortable and well appointed. Breakfast very satisfactory and, as many have commented, this hotel is convenient for city centre by a short bus journey. Free Wi-Fi and car park a bonus. I agree with other reviewers that the décor is a little old fashioned but then again, I suppose it’s down to personal choice. Oxford is an expensive town to stay in and The Balkan Hotel is a reasonably priced and comfortable alternative to some of the more expensive hostelries. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aaandykov
London
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Located conveniently about 10 mins from the centre of Oxford by bus, otherwise the hotel is very old-fashioned and dull - we left after breakfast on Sunday morning and there was no-one at reception to even say "thank you" and take our key from us!
At £92 per night I would expect a shower curtain, especially as there was a shower in the bath; just a tired and faded hotel that could do with an "Alex Polizzi" makeover. Breakfast was passable - we've stayed in B&B's where they bring you HOT water for tea and more exciting cereals, with plenty of toast and just more pzazz. I would describe this hotel as a "non-smoked salmon" hotel (scrambled eggs with smoked salmon as a staple in some of the other brilliant b&b's that we have stayed at). Sorry, but shan't be returning.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The person who wrote a review was spot on, although they left out other scary things.

Let's start with the website: apparently it has 'recently been refurbished to a high standard'. A complete fabrication as was 'comfortable, clean and spacious rooms'. The small room was very tired and the decor was more nineteen seventies than this century. Bed was small and uncomfortable and the bathroom was awful with the smallest basin I've ever seen. The shower was as said before a dribble.

The photographs on the website were obviously digitally enhanced as what i saw didn't resemble these photos in any way.I have never come across a website that is so misleading.

For £94 a night you would expect a lot more, including bedroom and bathroom lights that worked. Anyway, a small side light let us see our way to bed.

The breakfast is best left well alone, unless of course you enjoy stewed coffee from an old fashioned perculator, plastic sausages, sacheted sauces, under-cooked poached eggs and very greasy fried eggs.

The final ignominy was being told to leave our room 40 minutes before check out time by a stroppy chambermaid.

Room Tip: There aren't any
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I write this review completely safe in the knowledge that when it gets through the Trip Advisors moderators and ends up on the site, I would have checked out of this horrible little hotel and be far far away...

There's not many things that I need when staying away on business, just a comfortable bed, decent pillows, hot water and plenty of it and the room be clean.... None of the above have been met by this hotel. You can feel the springs in the mattress on the bed, the pillows? You may as well be putting your head on just a bit of lumpy foam and the hot water..... I feel so guilty of wasting the worlds resources in such a selfish way, but I had to leave my shower running for no word of a lie 7 minutes before it got even remotely warm enough to have a shower. It's not all bad though. Because the shower head was so clogged up with limescale from the water, it meant that the water struggled to make it through!

Before bed, I thought I'd make myself a cup of tea and took the kettle into the bathroom to fill it up.... It was disgusting, dirty on the outside as we'll as furry and crusty inside, also the cups in the room still had a coffee ring on the inside! Last but no means least, the showers have black mold all around the seals and the carpets look like they haven't been cleaned in years!!

There are loads of much better value hotels in Oxford.... Keep looking!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business