“Birthday break”

and 1 more site!
Cornerways Guest House
Ranked #27 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 night stay in oxford for a little birthday break .. The guest house was very nice and well kept , made to feel at home and I would come back again no problem..
Lovely break all round... Bern

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bernard C

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The owner Carol was extremely courteous and the single room was spotless, with great facilities including tea-making. The breakfast in the morning was also excellent, held in a lovely conservatory, with a view of the very well-arranged garden. All in all, well worth the walk down the Abingdon Road!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Cornerways Guest House, we had a lovely break. Carol is very welcoming and attentive, she was extremely helpful with local information especially bus services...etc and we really benefitted from her advice.
The Guest House is in an ideal situation, 20 minutes walk into the City Centre or use the local buses which stop just outside, there is a pub within walking distance too which is very handy.
The breakfast was fresh and very filling, it was served in the conservatory overlooking the garden.
The room was very spacious and clean, we will definitely be returning to complete the tours of Oxford we couldn't manage in just two days !!
Thank you for giving us such a delightful stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Hostess was warm and friendly with a nice warm welcome, however having just arrived from France would have welcomed a cup of tea, but was told there was facilities in the room! The tea making equipment was on a tray slid under the table, so I was too tired at that stage to get it out and plug it in etc.

I was shown to my room, No1, up steep stairs, it looked lovely, it had a double bed and was self contained with en suite facilities. However the double bed, was great for me alone, but being pushed into an alcove, wouldn't do for a couple or the toilet in a cupboard and the small shower fitted in by the window, screened only from the road.

The real problem for me was that the traffic noise was intrusive, and woke me up, and was hard to get ack to sleep, although I had a prior conversation with reference to a ticked box requesting a quiet room which appeard on Booking.com, she said they were on the corner of a main road, but my room was actually on a side road, and you still could hear every car! I stay in places every week and this was as noisy as I can remember. Also the curtains let a lot of light into the room, I could have read a book!

My freshly cooked full English breakfast was really good.

Really the double glazing/curtains are ineffective and needs to be attended to.

Overall though I'm baffled by the rating on Booking.com as this is not an inexpensive stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BasilFrance
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Carol is a lovely woman who treated us well during our stay. Breakfast was fine, fresh and cooked to order. Our room was ample because we booked the 'family room' with an extra bed, which gave us somewhere to put our luggage. We did share one safety concern and we don't think Carol was listening: The stair way is steep, with shallow stairs and there is no handrail at the top. I was nervous descending. We suggested this be fixed and were brushed off with comments about how they had thought about it but it might make the stairway too narrow. Our advice...get over it and fix it before someone stumbles...thanks.

Room Tip: If you like sufficient space, ask for the family room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at cornerways for three nights , as part of our eight week holiday in Europe , as a result of the glowing reports on tripadvisor .
We arrived at Cornerways after 24 hours of flight delays and no sleep , hoping for a friendly welcome and perhaps a cup of tea . The greeting was reasonable but nothing further by way of hospitality was offered , I was rather disappointed having read the numerous accounts of the owners friendliness .
The room we were allocated downstairs was tiny , barely containing our luggage meaning one of us had to leave the room to give the other space to shower / dress . In fact that room is very gloomy , there are other rooms in the house so ask for upstairs ?
The breakfast was reasonable but certainly did not live up the the hype . The bread was of the supermarket / plastic bag variety and the jam came in small plastic discs . No excitement there .
To be frank , the digs ruined our stay in Oxford .
That's an honest opinion , sorry if it doesn't match the majority .

Room Tip: Don't take the room downstairs , too small for two .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Els M
cjeakings, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear you felt disappointed with your stay.

The room you booked is advertised as a “small double room” and I do appreciate that with the amount of luggage you had for your eight week trip you felt the room was too small. Unfortunately, I was unable to offer you another room as we were fully booked during the weekend of your stay.

Again, my apologies and I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Europe.

Carol Jeakings

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Carol, the owner was helpful, the guest house was very clean, the breakfast was good. Our room was very small and was listed as small when we booked the room. The guest house is only a few blocks from the bus stop which goes directly to the train station and about a 15 minute walk into the center of Oxford.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple