“very unhelpful receptionist”

Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bath, United Kingdom
“very unhelpful receptionist”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The travel lodge itself was fine, basic but satisfactory. Unfortunately the receptionist there could not find my booking and was not very helpful. He didn't respond when I showed him my booking and reference number and acted as if he was annoyed and did not want to investigate the matter further.
He also said that they were fully booked and I had to go elsewhere. Not happy at all with this member of staff. After a long time and after I insisted he check further he looked at the computer system and found my booking saying that someone must have checked me in by mistake. He did not apologise for the mishap.
I was then late for my work dinner.
what is the point of having a reservation number and booking under your surname if you then can't find the reservation or maybe I was unlucky to have found just an incompetent member of staff?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

3 Thank Jaime B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel room was clean and tidy. The lady who greeted us at reception at 10:10 pm was very friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The hotel was conveniently situated not too far from the Thornhill park and ride, which we used to get to Oxford.
We right next door to a Harvester - we went there for breakfast on Saturday morning, and disappointingly it did not open at 9am as promised. However, we did enjoy dinner there later that evening. So if you are not pushed for time first thing, then the wait might be worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Julie D
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The location was ideal for us to visit oxford, the room was a good size and the beds are very comfy now. The room was basic but as expected, it could do with a spring clean especially in the bathroom where it was dusty and marks on the bath.
If you stay I recommend packing a few tea bags as you only get allocated 2 so not good if you like a cuppa in the evening and when you wake up.

It worked well being opposite asda so we could pick up any bits we needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just a stopover for one night. Easy to find but dangerous entrance, being just off a bend straight into the car park. Could have been signposted better. Room bigger than I thought it would be. Very good nights sleep. Downside; bathroom could have been cleaner and edges of the room harboured a lot of dust. The Asda opposite does not have a restaurant and the Harvester doesn't open until 11am, so the Travelodge breakfast goodie bag may be good to order.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

As expected really: Cheap 'n cheerful.
Clean rooms, helpful staff.
On a bus route into the city centre and within walking distance of wheatley village for a choice of food & drink.
Asda nextdoor had cheap fuel for the drive home.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We booked Travelodge Wheatley for an overnight stay having stayed in Travelodges on numerous occassions before. It wasn't too difficult to find - drove past the turning as sign not obvious until at the junction but able to turn around & come back! The staff member on duty wasn't very communicative. Didn't know how to smile. The room was actually very nice. We had booked a family room and it was good to find the beds made up, however, there were only 2 towels, 2 mugs and not enough tea/coffee/milk for 4. I am sure this was just an oversight by the over-worked housekeeping staff though and we went to reception for everything we needed. We wanted more decaff coffee, milk & sugar. You would have thought the man on reception had had to pick the coffee beans & sugar cane himself and milk the cow! It took some hard work to get across that we all wanted a drink! Then the hair dryer. It didn't appear to have a PAT test sticker on it and when I switched it on the element glowed red and fortunately it died before it could cause any damage or injury. I was in pyjamas so had to dress and visit our happy chap on reception with wet hair. He did not seem to understand that the hair dryer was dangerous and he was unconcerned that we had no way to dry our hair. The other 3 hair dryers were all out. We have stayed in numerous Travelodges over the years but this experience has tarnished our good impression of them. I feel it was the reception staff who made us unhappy with the stay this time rather than the problems as problems can be overcome but miserable, unhelpful staff with apparently no customer focus and a lack of comprehension are a more difficult obstacle. I will say we remained polite, smiling and probably a lot more forgiving than others would have been. I would stay at Wheatley Travelodge again but keep my fingers crossed that "Mr Happy" has found another job elsewhere that he enjoys when I visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the car park as it is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SarahRoot
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My expectations weren't very high before arriving at this hotel, as my two previous stays in travelodge a had been very basic and a little disappointing. However everything about this hotel was different - the location was easy to find and felt safe and inviting. The staff were pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and well maintained - it smelt of clean bedding when we first walked in. The staff provided a hair dryer and iron very quickly when asked. The bathroom was clean and the bath comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family