“Nice looking little pub but awful food and awful price”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #12 of 54 Nightlife in Oxford
surrey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice looking little pub but awful food and awful price”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stopped here for lunch and nearly didn't stay when we saw it was £7.45 for a sandwich but we thought we would treat ourselves whilst on a day out. Really wished we'd gone elsewhere worst food i have ever had. I had a chicken and bacon baguette which came with a few chips. Not even sure it was chicken. If it was it was very cheap reconstitued and tasted like turkey- so didn't eat it. My husband had a jacket potato which he said was microwaved with over microwaved cheese on top. My son had meat loaf which he said was tasteless on mash with gravy. A few peas or some veg would have been nice with it to help it look more palateable and justify the cost! Have a beer but avoid the food.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank bunny11333

Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“never again”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Started off nice but the irish lad who took our order was rude and because its so small he was rushing to get our order and get us out of there( he was nice whenever the nice land lady was around and at the end when he was basically begging for a tip) The food was bland and not all that tasty for the expensive price. And theres no where nice to sit without being squashed up against the person next to you
AVOID THIS PUB

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tomshan
Solihull, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Good pub grub.....”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was the third pub on our "heritage pub crawl"..
There was a good selection of ales to choose from.
A "bar snack" was needed to ensure we prolonged our crawl.
I went for the hot "pulled pork" bap which was good, but no where near as nice as my wife's choice of the "club sandwich".. Both were very filling and did the job required.

Visited November 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Avoid the food!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Second time to this pub - the first time we only had drinks, and because the building itself is so nice and the drinks were good the first time we thought we would return for lunch.

The food was absolutely awful. To say it was inedible would be to rate it too highly. I had the soup which came with some sort of brown bread, which was stale. My husband had the fish and chips. Or rather should I say, did not have, the fish and chips. One mouthful of the batter was enough.

We were so disheartened that we couldn't be bothered to ask for a refund. On leaving I told the barmaid that the food was inedible and was asked "what did you have"? Since there was only us and three other people in the bar and she could clearly see our plates on the table, the question seemed odd!

Can honestly say that this was one of the worst meals we've ever been served.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Anonymous186363
Allentown, Pennsylvania
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 197 helpful votes
“Excellent traditional pub!”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A friend and I had lunch here during a day trip to Oxford.

It's small and cozy, as one would expect from a building that's centuries old.

I had the Sunday roast special, which was quite ample and very reasonably priced. It included a substantial lamb shank and some vegetables. It was very good.

They have a nice selection of cask ales, including local brews.

Service was very friendly.

Visited September 2013