“Terrible breakfast service”
Review of The Westwood Hotel

The Westwood Hotel
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Yes, the hotel in itself is fine. Our room was very spacious and had a wonderful view on the garden. But the breakfast was terrible. There is only a small buffet table, that contains only one plate (!) wih some cheese and meat for all guests together. The girl walking around and asking if we'd like coffee or tea showed no emotion whatsoever. Working there must be hell for her as she never smiled or made a nice gesture. When asked for a cooked breakfast, we indeed received that, but without bread or toast. So, where should I put my fried egg then?
All in all, this took away all the fun of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DrewIreson, General Manager at The Westwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback and very sorry to read about your experience during breakfast.

I have met with our waiting staff and Head Chef and addressed the points raised, once again I appreciate your feedback and I have directly used that as a training exercise for the hotel.

Your comments have helped improve our service and am very confident that we will continue to maintain these standards and strive to improve them.

Thank you again for your response.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I recently spent a number of nights at the Westwood, on a golfing break with friends, and we all found the accommodation, food and service to be excellent. The Hotel itself is in a delightful country setting, but within easy reach of Oxford. The staff are particularly friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were in Oxford for one evening and the next day and The Westwood fit the bill. It was out of town and a little hard to find (get a GPS ) but turned out great! We had dinner in their dining room which was very nice, romantic, And convenient. The room was adequate although a bit outdated, but was roomy and the bed was comfortable. The hotel was quiet, we suppose mainly because there were no weddings or other activities underway. The bar was very good. If we return to Oxford we would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Westwood Hotel turned out to be a very quiet hotel with nice surroundings. Travelling by bus it was also easy to get to Oxford centre. The hotel bears sign of being a bit worn but it has a lovely atmosphere. The breakfast could be better though. Small amounts of food and when we asked for more, they brought only one piece at the time. A friendly staff but breakfast serving could be better.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a door right out to the garden.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here on business for a week and was unfortunately disappointed that the attic room I stayed in was boiling hot (on a moderately warm week). This is not really acceptable when paying nearly £150 per night. On the plus side, the surroundings are nice and its a short drive into Oxford. Also, the staff were friendly and helpful. Another disappointing hotel that I've stayed in the Oxford area, desperately needs a large modern affordable hotel for business travelers or for smaller hotels to step up to the mark.

Room Tip: Don't go to the attic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Attended a beautiful wedding, the gardens and location were brilliant and luckily the weather was warm enough to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. I thought the B&B room price at £150 was high considering the room and choice at breakfast - a little disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was a luxury location for us, so I just could not believe they put us in a room in which there was mold (and fully-grown mushrooms!) at the junction of the ceiling and the wall, on an area more than a foot wide and half a foot long. If mold and mushrooms had had time to grow that much, it means that maintenance of the place was very poor and who knows what else they could have let slip! And we were likely not the first they put in that room in those conditions. They offered us another room, but at the same price and nothing else. When I asked to talk to the manager they did not let me do so. I'm very disappointed. The second room was fine but I did not have confidence in their maintenance of the place anymore. I would not recommend to anyone.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josee_Canada695

Thank you for your feedback, as always feedback is an essential part of our business and aids us to continually improve our offering.

I am very sorry that your stay with us was less than enjoyable. The room which you were first checked in to had been decommissioned so that building work could take place to rectify a small leak in the roof. Unfortunately a mistake on check in put you into this room, as soon as this was noticed we immediately changed you to an upgraded premier room, within a matter of mists of you checking in. No guests ever stayed in that room until we fixed the problem. This was obviously a mistake that we have ensured will not happened again and the room has been fixed and completely redecorated.

I do hope that should you need a hotel in Oxford again, you will afford me a chance to restore faith in us. Please contact me direct should you wish to book and I will personally deal with your booking.