“Staff went the extra mile”

Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I would like to highly praise the staff of the Holiday Inn Express in Oxford for saving me a lot of grief when I accidentally left my backpack (rucksack as they called it) in the lobby. I did not discover that it was missing until I was on the train back to London. For all I knew it could be on a city bus or in the train station or stolen. When I got to our London hotel the clerk relayed a message that the Holiday Inn Express in Oxford had found my backpack and to call them back. Wow! Staff member Chris (I don't know his title) had found the backpack and found my itinerary listing our next stay and phone number. He went the extra mile to contact me. I returned by train and retrieved the backpack and got to meet to Chris and Anna (who he gave some credit to). Everything was still in the backpack. Nothing was "pinched" as he called it. 12 hours later we were headed back to the USA.

We had also traveled with our son and daughter-in-law. When we checked into the Holiday Inn, they gave us adjoining rooms. We had not requested it, but this is even more evidence of a staff willing to go the extra mile to make us feel welcome. We will not forget what you did.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. It is very much appreciated. The photos were a surprise

Best Regards
Chris Mason

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Oxford

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Large, clean and well appointed rooms at this hotel just outside Oxford. Though the hotel restaurant is nothing worth commenting on, there is a small complex a 10 minute walk away where you will find a couple of options to choose from. The staff were helpful and friendly. Definite value for money but you do need to have your own transport if staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SRPURI
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed one night room was fine clean with all facilities, bit off beaten track for oxford.
Staff were fine, but breakfast was a joke, sausage scrambled egg and beans.
sausage I think that's what it was, scrambled egg, salty seem like it had come out of packet and toasters that warm bread.
what a let down

Room Tip: none really all the same
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed here 30th June / 1st July as I was attending a Conference at The Kassam Stadium on the 2nd July. It was my 1st experience of Holiday inn ( Dedicated Premier inn person most of the time). I did not have a choice of where to stay as the hotel was part of the Conference arrangements but I had read some of the other reviews about it before arriving and I don't feel that some of them are very fair.
I travelled to Oxford by train and got the No 5 bus to pegasus road a few minutes walk from the hotel. I was very wary as I had read that this area was on a very dodgy estate but I have to say that it is not any different to any other Council estate that i have ever come across before, maybe growing up on a similar estate in the North East of England gives me a different point of view.
The breakfast food although not brilliant was very adequate, Fruit, cereals, Scrambled eggs, Beans and sausages ( could possibly try for a slightly better quality of sausage and add bacon to the menu) yoghurts, Toast, croissant and small muffins. Enough to give you a good start to the day.
Every member of staff that I dealt with were polite, helpful and professional. On the day i left they booked a taxi to pick me up after the Conference and asked if there was anything else they could do for me.
The room (139) was very clean and comfortable and I can't fault it. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms and maybe a couple of biscuits might be and idea to slightly improve that experience. Overall my experience of this hotel was very positive.
I do have to mention a couple of things that I saw as negative. Although there are a couple of restaurants and a bowling alley within 5 minutes of the hotel it still does not get rid of the feeling that you are in the middle of nowhere.If like me you were not in a car then you are basically stuck there at night (unless you want to pay £12 each way for taxis into Oxford) although the bar does help out. I do also think that it is a little bit too expensive for a hotel without any evening meal facilities although you can ring out and have the choice of 4 different takeaway options delivered to eat in the breakfast area.
In summing up I would only stay here again if I was attending a conference or something to do with the football stadium. If I go back just to see Oxford itself I will book something much more central. I still think it does not deserve a lot of the negative comments in other reviews.

Room Tip: 139 was at the back of the hotel overlooking the football stadium and was a very quiet room
1  Thank Colhunt
Reviewed 3 July 2012

its a typical holiday inn. Rooms are ordinary but relatively clean and breakfast is adaquate. Its ok for an overnight stop. Wifi in the rooms is charged at £5 for 24 hours....extortion.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

This hotel was ok for a very short stay though the "standard" prices are very high for what you are getting - i was very glad that i paid less by shopping around - though be warned, I had paid via the agent when I booked but the receptionist tried to make me pay again when i left and was adamant that I had not paid.
The rooms are clean but missing some key essentials on a business trip (e.g. an iron). the hotel serves breakfast in a morning which is average. As advertised, there are restaurants nearby, but, as a female on her own none of them were appealing and the walk to them didnt feel particularly safe so you would have to drive to them.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Dear Ant35,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I'm delighted you found our hotel to be clean. I'm sorry you were not 100% satisfied with your room amenities. I assure you that we take every comment seriously and hope to host your next stay in the area again.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Typical Holiday Inn Express in a quiet location next to the Kassam football stadium. Breakfast area is small and difficult to move around when busy. Basic room with shower. Wifi in rooms is chargeable. Ok for a quick overnight if on business or leisure in Oxford. There is a leisure area with bowling alley within walking distance. Very pleasant reception staff.

1  Thank Joanne H