“AWFUL!!”

Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, but felt like a lifetime!! The room was dirty, splatters of stuff on the walls, cracks in the wall, dust everywhere, mould growing on the ceiling above the bed and a selection of deceased insects on the windowsill. However the worst bit was the bathroom. For some reason we had a disabled bathroom. It would of been bearable if it was clean. The floor looked generally dirty and the shower curtain had a very suspicious looking brown stain on it. During our stay I only had one shower and my boyfriend refused to even use it. When we first got in the room and realised we had a disabled room we went down to reception to ask for a different room, I don't think he really understood what we were trying to say as I don't think English was his first language, however when we explained that we had a disabled bathroom and wanted to change he just stared at us confused and simply said that all bathroom were the same. With that we gave up and just put up with it for the rest of our stay. Things didn't get much better when it was time to go to sleep. The beds were indescribable (and not for good reasons) I spent half the night sitting up at the end of the bed as it was more comfortable than laying on that mattress! After our stay we received an email to rate our experience, we expressed our disappointment in their service and ticked the box to say we would like to hear from them, yet never did. My boyfriend has emailed them several times since, yet we've had no contact. We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express locations in the past and were loyal customers, yet the lack of customer service we have received on this occasion has made us rethink this loyalty. Our advice, avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: The Hilton down the road on the M4 Services.
1  Thank Toria S
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Toria S

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I would ask that you ask your boyfriend if he could forward one of his emails to my email address on cmason@expressoxford.com, so that I would be able to address these serious issues.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Where should I begin? Poor check in ( have to have your debit card charged £30.00 just in case of any breakages) this was obviously ageist against me and my partner (but where both in our late twenties, not hooligans and not drinkers...was staying fir a friends wedding) our work colleagues also stayed at the hotel but never had to pay a deposit? Even on request of the manager of why we had to pay a deposit she just replied " it's company policy" but our friends didn't have to and they paid the same amount we did on a third partie website (same as us) totally discriminating. Room was basic terrible lighting only l.e.d bulbs in the lamps. In adequate to get ready (for a woman make up etc) also paid for a double room and git twin beds. The WiFi dies not work and you don't get any phone signal around the hotel AT ALL. No joke. Sheets were dirty , staff were ok but the manager had a terrible manner and was rude. For the deposit she wasn't even going to give us a receipt and I had to ask for a photocopy. Sleep quality was terrible we was on the ground floor next to the reception doors whichh banged from 6.30 am till we checked out. Walls paper thin you can hear EVERYTHING. breakfast was good , selection was abit weird though, no fried eggs or bacon ??? Only sausages scramble eggs and beans . Very peculiar but they had muffins abd cereals to. Breakfast staff were good. Overal if I could rate this hotel zero I would and they experience has put me off EVER staying at a holiday inn again. Maybe one of the executives can respond to why some people get asked for a £30.00 pre authorize payments and others don't especially when asked they said it's company policy and everyone gets asked for this when they don't. Ageist and discrimination. If your wanting a weekend away with the wife....DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if you must stay here.
1  Thank Nicola P
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for sending us your comments. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with your stay. We ask guests for a credit card swipe for a pre-authorised amount. This policy has been in place a number of years and has helped improve the quality of stay for the vast majority of our guests. The credit card policy helps prevent undesirable guests, unpleasant & noisy people from staying here; people smoking in rooms etc. This has nothing to do with age. We have a lot of guests of all ages staying here at week ends and anyone at any age could behave very selfishly towards other guests if we did not have these measures in place. We don't take credit card swipes from corporate guests where their companies are paying their bills, because the companies act as guarantors.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was our first try at a Holiday Inn Express (wanted a cheap hotel as was attending a wedding nearby). The service we experienced was poor and the manager on duty also provided poor customer service. We booked a double room but received twin beds, found a dubious looking black curly hair in my bed. Lots of noise outside in the walkway at various times so did not have a good sleep, room was generally in pretty poor condition similar to a poor travelodge but more costly. This has put me off staying in a Holiday Inn ever again.

2  Thank Adam M

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We have two room types at the hotel doubles and twins. Some booking sites allow guests to book a standard room rather than specific room type. If the doubles are fully booked when you made your booking they would no longer be available.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

A pleasant hotel right next to the stadium. Stayed here for one night, for a night out in Oxford. didnt realise it was so far out, taxis are quite expensive at £20/£25 each way at the weekend. Might be cheaper to pay more to be in the centre and not need taxis. Breakfast was nice if a little busy and the room was very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very surprised that you gave us a "pleasant hotel" comment after the shocking taxi price. I would very much appreciate if you could email me your name & taxi details. I would like to investigate this because it is terrible.
My email address is cmason@expressoxford.com.
We have signs up in reception detailing our taxi offer. The taxi company that we work with charges a fixed price of £10 to the City Centre for a four seater

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed for one night, which seemed to correspond with the stay of many uni students, as I understand that there was a delay in the completion of their Uni dorms. Nevertheless, check in was efficient and firendly.
The bedroom was adequate and the bed was comfortable.
Apart from vending m/c or takeaways, there was no lunch/dinner available. There were 4 restaurants within walking distance and as such, the lack of available food at the hotel is not too much of an issue.
Breakfast was as per usual holiday inn fare, boring and predictable.
Check out was a joke. The elderly, eastern european male receptionist was insisting that I enter my bank pin number, but was failing to tell me how much I was expected to sign off! Finally, a fellow colleague sorted it out. The saturation of eastern europe staff at many hotels has caused endless misunderstandings and as such, the Holiday Inn should ensure that there is at least one British born and bred staff on hand at the reception counter, especially at check in/out times.

Room Tip: Flick a coin
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were disppointed with the check out experience. I am responsible for recruitment at the hotel. I offer employment to people who based on enthusiam, integrity hard work etc. To discriminate against non English staff would be against the law. We advertise & recruit locally. The "Eastern European" chap is French. He speaks French, German, Italian, Portuguese and English. Many of our guests are not English, so having the ability to speak other languages is good for many of our guests.
General manager

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Nice hotel with a big free parking option. 5/7 mins drive to city centre. Staff were quite nice and room was clean and tidy. We stayed for a night and liked their breakfast, too.
It was on 30th December- so hotel wasn't that busy. We enjoyed the place and stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were visiting in Oxford so stayed at the Holiday Inn express. It isn't near the city center, but it is right next to a park and ride bus stop where you can catch the green line 300 bus to and from the city, which I did and was very handy. The hotel room was nice. It has screens that pull shut instead of curtains, so a nice touch and really kept the room dark. The bathroom could use some updating and as a warning, I was taking a shower and went to turn it off and instead the water got super hot and was burning my feet. The shower spray was such that I had to jump out of the tub (and it had steep sides) in order to prevent scalding my feet - my husband figured out how to turn the water off, so you might want to try it out BEFORE you get in and be careful because water is SUPER hot! They also charge for wifi, and snacks in room which was disappointing- Holiday Inn didn't use to charge for these things.

1  Thank eatsleeptour

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very concerned about the very hot water, when you used the shower. All our showers are fitted with anti scald guards so clearly one must have failed?
Upon reading the review I would like to double check whether it could be about the Holiday Inn Peartree Oxford? That hotel is served by bus 300, and they have bath/showers with bath tub sides. We only have showers with flat shower trays. Also our wi fi is complimentary. I would kindly ask if you could e mail me directly on cmason@expressoxford.com so that I can identify the room number with the scalding shower. I would forward the details to the other hotel if it is not us.