“Lovely hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel. Friendly staff, lovely room, comfortable beds. Staff were very helpful. Would definitley stay there again. However, our nights sleep was ruined by very noisy neighbours who were banging doors, and talking loudly when they got in at 1am until 2.30am. The hotel staff attended to the matter immediately and had to again warn them about their behaviour. Breakfast was self service and was included in the price, cooked and continental. We were also given a voucher for free wi-fi which was unexpected.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolSouthampton
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for sending in your posting. I would also like to like to expres my thanks regarding your reaction to the noisy guests who. Our night staff patrol the corridors to check for noise etc and are trained to deal with this issue.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Oxford

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very comfortable hotel. Rooms spacious and comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Good value for money. Only criticism was that the plug in wet room shower was totally inadequate and the bathroom floor flooded every time we took a shower. But despite that I would consider returning if we visit Oxford in the further.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear guest
Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very pleased that you found the staff friendly and that you enjoyed your stay. You noted that would stay here again which is good to hear. I would suggest that you ask for a room without the wet room bathroom on your next visit. The wet room bathrooms are designed for wheelchairs users and the bathroom floor is very flat

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Like most Holiday Inn Express hotels you do not expect luxury, but rather functionality. The problem with this hotel is if you are on the back where they arrange for laundry to be delivered at about 5.30 in the morning. The lorry arrives - you get the reversing siren; then they leave the engine running for ½ an hour, while you hear every metal basket loaded and unloaded. When you say something in the morning they blame the football stadium next door. - Really not good.

Apart from this the staff are quite friendly and you get what you expect - BUT very expensive for a Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: No where near the service entrance!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 929ScottB929
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments. I am very sorry that the laundry van was at the hotel at this totally unacceptable hour. Could I ask that you email me the date that you stayed so that we can investigate this? My address is:
cmason@expressoxford.com
I have spoken to the laundry company and they have assured me that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed here last week on business having had a comfortable stay here before. On arriving (as a Platinum IHG Member) I was promptly informed by 'James' on reception that I was booked in to a twin room and not a double room as there 'no doubles left'. Having informed James that I had booked a double not a twin, he informed me 'It's first come first served'. There was no hint of an apology or compensation. I wasn't welcomed as a Platinum member or offered a free drink, which is now standard at all HIE. On asking for my free drink voucher I was told 'oh yeh I forgot' and then when I asked for an extra bag of complimentary peanuts, the affable James informed me ' I suppose so, the cost of them isn't coming out of my pocket' !!!! The room was cold, even with heating on and the single duvet cover didn't help keep me warm. Everything else including breakfast was standard HIE, clean and fairly well presented. I feel that given the basic offering of HIE, a helpful and courteous reception staff is mandatory and I certainly didn't get it on this visit!

Room Tip: Arrive early if you want a double room rather than a twin, even if you book a double!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments. I am very sorry about the way your whole check in was handled. I would apprecaite it if you would contact me via email on: cmason@expressoxford.com, so that I can investigate this further.
I certainly agree that reception training is required in this situation. I would also like to assure you that if you book with the hotel, we always sell the exact room required either a double or a twin. If we have fully sold our doubles we would therefore offer and sell twins. Some sites accept the bookings and forward them as double/twins which I think is wrong. I would like the opportunity to find out how this happened. It certainly is not the case of when a guest actually arrives that they could receive a double or a twin. These are booked when the booking is made

Reviewed 4 December 2013

OK – let’s see what type of hotel this is, it’s a Holiday Inn Express, therefore not IC or Crowne Plaza, so let’s rate it accordingly, as a HIE. Does it come up to standard. Yes. Staff were bang on, attentive and considerate. Room was fine for the price and a one nighter away from home visiting my daughter at Uni.

Bedding was fine as was shower facilities. Breakfast I gave a miss as I went out running the needed to head to Birmingham. However, I grabbed a tea, and other guests seemed to be enjoying the sausages, beans and scrambled eggs, etc. I had a couple of slurps of tea, when was good and hot.

Only slight downside. Our room backed onto the football car park, and Sunday morning is car boot day. The locals started arriving before 7am, and boy were they noisy. I was up anyhow for y run, but other guests may have been annoyed, so ask for a room on the front.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I also would like to thank you for the comment about the car boot sale. I have spoken to them previously to keep their visitors away from the hotel. I will speak to them again because we do not want our guests to be disturbed.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was convenient for Oxford City, Blenheim Palace, Oxford City Football Club, Bicester. Shopping Village, cinema, bowling and local eateries. The hotel was very clean and well maintained, the breakfast was lovely. The price of the hotel is very reasonable, parking and full wifi are included in the price. The staff were extremely accommodating. We had a very pleasant stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: Did not use room service so unable to comment on this
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review. It is always very pleasing to read such positive comments. We hope that you are able to return soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I thought the hotel was as you should expect with holiday inn express..clean, hot showers, polite staff, perfectly good breakfast and free papers...but if you stay and go into Oxford and come back late....do not catch the 1 or 5 back...as we got off the bus driver said' keep walking...don't stop'...very dodgy area to walk back through....we felt quite unsafe...very very very luckily we found a taxi just sat outside someones house and although he was a ring up taxi only he took us saying ' I don't normally pick people up on this area......it's not the best...'...I was very relieved to get back. I would stay again...but I would use the park and ride...which is cheaper ..£4.50 for 2 return and you get straight back in your car. The hotel do offer another option of £10 each way by taxi. So don't be put off...but don't use 1 and 5 bus....use park and ride....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julievickerman
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very pleased to read that you were pleased with the hotel. I am sorry that you were concerned about the return journey at night to the hotel.