All reviews football stadium hi express chinese buffet football ground cinema complex city centre frankie and bennys vue cinema the breakfast area science park baked beans the bus overnight stop what it says on the tin clean hotel short drive short stay
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at this motel. Comfortable with a very good breakfast the staff was very friendly, no problems. It was a little out of the way and not within walking distance to much of anything. Both stays there was a tour bus of foreign tourists staying which was no problem but they all wanted breakfast the same time we did. The price was right and HIE quality was as expected.

Date of stay: June 2014
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments. I am pleased that you had a nice stay.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were by no means expecting four or five star accommodation for our overnight stay in Oxford, but it was on par with a Premier Inn and ideal if you're not going to spend too much time where you're staying. We managed to get an ok deal on the price by booking in advance online and doing some research.

The view from the room looked over towards the Kassam stadium, the temperature was comfortable, as was the furniture and the bed, everywhere was all very clean too. We booked a taxi at the reception to go into the town for my girlfriend's friend's birthday, and the taxi was so prompt, we'd only just finished our drink at the bar! We got back at around midnight and were pleased to see that the hotel was very quiet so we both got a very good night's sleep ready for the drive back the following morning.

Bearing in mind at the Premier Inn breakfast or proper wifi are not included, I was not expecting much for a free breakfast. It surprised us though, although it was busy, the scrambled egg and sausages were well cooked, I've had worse breakfasts that I'd paid for before!

It's worth bearing in mind though that I imagine this hotel would feel overcrowded during Oxford United match days seeming as this is right next to the stadium, so it's definitely worth looking up to see if it's going to be match day or if they'll be holding any other major events before booking. If we hadn't ventured into the town there were some conveniently placed restaurants within walking distance that we'd have tried. Overall, we were pretty happy with our stay and if we are ever around Oxford we will bear this place in mind and maybe stay again.

Room tip: Try to get a room that doesn't overlook the car park, as you'll probably hear vehicles coming and going all the time due to the different reasons people stay there. There were couples, people on business and coach loads of tourists, so people are coming and going at different times.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear guest
Thank you for posting your review. I am pleased to read that the hotel suited your needs. I would just like to assure you that on football match days the hotel is not unduly affected by large numbers of people. We put a chap in the car park to ensure that there are plenty of spaces for our guests to park. Home fans are welcomed into the bar before the game, but visiting fans visit other venues.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

£145 a night for a view of a ring road, 2 teabags and no restaurant!

There's not much more to add, there's an overpriced bar, a vending machine and the usual surly eastern european staff that you'd expect to find in your standard soulless chain hotel.

I wasn't expecting a holiday inn express to be the Waldorf Astoria but then £145 a night should surely entitle you to complimentary biscuits and toiletries that aren't nailed to the wall!

Room tip: Select a different hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your feedback. It seems that your room rate was £119. The maximum room rate has been up to £125; breakfast and wifi are inclusive. Our room rates go up and down according to the demand and Oxford has been very busy recently. If you have been charged £145, I would ask that you contact me via mail on cmason@expressoxford.com
I am sorry that you were disappointed by the lack of a restaurant in the hotel. There are three restaurants 5 minutes walk from the hotel and a very large choice on the Cowley road and also there are some very good country pub/restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stay in a few Holiday Inn Expresses around the country and was a liitle disappointed. The check in staff we very friendly, The rooms were as expected however the lack of air conditioning meant I had to have the Window open and I was directley above the car park so the coming and goings of both cars and people was disturbing, also people we smoking directly under my windows. The shower was a bit wild and even with the shower curtain closed it still soaked the bathroom.

The hotel was very very busy with coach parties, it was also really noisy with people in the corridors all night talking loudly and banging doors. I really didn't get a good nights sleep. In the morning the reception area was very full of luggage and the breakfast area was very busy even at 7:30.

Finally the wifi was pretty much useless, I guess partly due to the number of people in the hotel. I couldn't get online until nearly midnight.

The hotel is fine if you are not on business, but as a business hotel it struggles to meet my expectations.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for posting your comments. Whilst I am pleased to read that the staff were friendly, I am very sorry that you found it too noisy and also the wifi didn't work properly. Our night staff patrol the corridors to ensure that everything quiet and peaceful. We will review our procedures here. The
wi fi is set up to cover the hotel even when full. Fortunately we are very busy all year. There clearly was a problem, which our service provider is investigating and will be permanently fixed.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel well decorated with comfortable furnishings; the bed was good, ditto bathroom and room generally - cleaning of high standard; walking distance of several restaurants; breakfast more than acceptable as included in the price - just avoid Oxford United match days as it would be chaotic then!

Room tip: i was on the second floor at the back and no problem re noise
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Angela R
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay. I am very pleased that the hotel was comfortable and suited your needs. I would just like to assure you that during the football match days there should be no concerns about the large numbers of people in the area. We put a chap on car park duty, to keep our car park free for hotel guests. The Oxford fans (only) are welcome in the hotel before before the games and the bar can be busy from 1pm- 2.30pm.