“Not bad for the price...”
Review of Ramada Oxford

Ramada Oxford
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
UK
“Not bad for the price...”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Come on..its not like your going to take your other half here for a romantic weekend is it! It's at the motorway service station! Clean practical room that fit for purpose for a stop over on the side of the motorway. Got here late and left early. Doesn't everyone? Cheap for Oxford; expensive compared to mainland Europe equivalent but welcome to rip-off Britain. As with most similar hotels I stay in I really cannot understand why it is that they can never see fit to reinvest just a few of their rack rates back into things like redecoration or new chairs. A shame really 'cos with regular ongoing refurb it could be really quite nice. No real compaints though.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have never written a poor review yet so am disappointed to feel it necessary to write one now but sadly The Days Inn has definitely, one hopes, seen better days! Admittedly we were looking for a budget hotel and were not expecting luxury accommodation from a motorway motel but we did hope that Days Inn would at least provide a comfortable bed in a clean, if basic room. First impressions were pretty good, a pleasant and efficient receptionist, great parking facilities and impressive facilities at the service station next door. Unfortunately this was shattered as soon as we rounded the corridor to our ground floor (non-smoking) room. The smell in the corridor was of an extremely powerful air-freshener (possibly, having read the reviews below, in order to combat the smoke from the floor above?) however on opening our door, the odour changed to a fairly pungent essence of sewer! This was not aided by the state of the carpet and upholstery in the room ... Various unpleasant stains on the chair (I placed a towel on it before sitting down), a large patch of what looked suspiciously like blood on the very tired looking sofa and I dare not think what had made the stains on the carpet. At least the sheets on the bed appeared to be clean and fresh but I wore socks until actually getting into it to save putting my bare feet on the carpet! The bed itself was extremely firm ... rather like sleeping on a rock, which given the state of the rest of the room seemed rather appropriate since zig-zagging around the carpet stains to get to it had been rather like finding a causeway to get to an island!

The bathroom, though a bit tired was perfectly fine, the towels were clean and fluffy and the water hot (although the bath did take a very long time to run).

The inclusive continental breakfast was delivered to our room exactly on time and comprised cereal, apples, yoghurt, croissant & jam and orange juice - all perfectly acceptable. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room also as well as a hair drier and TV. Free Wi-Fi was available (though very slow and required you to keep putting in your password every time you wanted to use it).

All in all the location was good, the staff were good, the facilities were fine it is just a great shame that the room was so shabby and felt dirty even though it was probably thoroughly cleaned every day. What a difference it would make to clean or replace the carpets and upholstery and maybe get a plumber in to investigate the smell. The next night we stayed at a Premier Inn In Poole ... Lovely room, comfy bed, odour-free, not a stain in sight and a cheaper price too. Lessons to be learned I think.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here to attend a family wedding in Oxford. Very convenient with a bus stop close by and a good service into Oxford.
Would have been a good place to stay if they didn't allow smoking in the rooms. I thought smoking was banned in England. The corridor outside our room reeked of tobacco and the room was just as bad.
Facilities in rooms were good but couldn't sleep as it was too hot and smell of tobacco made me feel ill. Too noisy if we opened window.
Very quiet in night no sound from other guests. Were there any?
Would not come back unless they change it to non smoking.

• Stayed September 2013
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed here for one night for work to say . This hotel is within the Welcome Break services on the M40 so plenty of parking available. The services were actually pretty smart by the standards of such things. I'm rarely seriously critical on my reviews, but here goes.

The hotel itself is a typically styled budget roadside premises. There was one member of staff available for check-in so there was a reasonable wait to check in. The decor throughout is now somewhat tired, although fairly clean. The main issue I had was the hotel's insisting that I had booked a smoking room. Having never smoked a cigarette in my life and now living in a country where smoking is illegal in almost every hotel and public place I've visited, I was amazed that you could still get smoking rooms. The receptionist told me that they pay a licence fee to allow this. I'd rather they saved their cash and had a room that didn't smell terrible. Unfortunately the hotel was "full" so I couldn't move.

Of course, it's absolutely fair to say that some people love the freedom of smoking in a hotel room. If so, this hotel is for you. For me, it was a thoroughly unpleasant night despite open windows and liberal amounts of whatever spray I could find in my overnight bag.

The room itself is ok, and the bed reasonable. The bathroom is clearly ageing and the shower in the morning was a genuine experience - I've never known water come out in lumps before. To be fair, it was more like spurts I guess, but it felt like lumps.

Overall, if you make sure you book a non-smoking room this is a potential location for an overnight stay outside Oxford. However, the poor chappy from BMW who was negotiating 40 nights ahead of me has my sympathies. Personally, I'd buy a camper van.

Room Tip: Make sure you avoid a smoking room if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lambsie_the_Wanderer
Telford
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked online choosing a more expensive room option of double plus double sofabed for our toddler. Got given a double with single bed, which was way to high and narrow for a safe toddler bed (and about £10 cheaper than what we had booked). Reception claimed they had no record of what we had booked, so with a tired toddler in tow we had to get out the laptop and show them our full booking before they would change us. Ended up with a pull out bed for the toddler as it was all that was left, but at least it gave him a safe place to sleep. Tired and needs refurbishment. Sofa was torn and the thermostatic control in the shower didn't work.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is what it says on the tin. Its a motorway services hotel and we used it after driving from France.

The decor is dated and bathroom needing a refit. Bed was a bit soft and bouncy castle like.

However it was clean, provided what we needed. We were put in room next to back entrance and got a bit noisy early on with staff coming and going but we were up anyway.

If this hotel was anywhere else it wouldnt be worth the money but as it was a service hotel the price £60 was expected.

• Stayed September 2013
manchester
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for two nights. The room was clean and basic and the decor a bit dated but it was fine. Bed was very comfortable and extra pillows are available, Bathroom spotless however the shower was not very powerful. Our room rate included a continental breakfast and this was delivered to the room in the morning. The location is handy just off the m40 and close to oxford city centre. We caught the bus in to the city and it runs every 20 minutes. First time staying at a days inn and I would stay here again

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends