“Dreadful, didn't stay”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2016

Arrived for early lunch, restaurant empty, very few Chinese waiting staff, no one attended to us at door. Finally got seated and after another wait got menu. Asked a query about a dim sum dish when waiter eventually came back, waiter couldn't care less, knew virtually nothing about the food, and could not understand any Chinese dish names. Left and went to Paddyfields nearby, had a very good dim sum lunch there.

Date of visit: April 2016
2  Thank AnoushkB
Write a reviewReviews (180)

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I enjoyed my first visit here 2 evenings ago. I had been quite impressed to find "My Sichuan" featuring in the Food Food Guide 2016 with a GFG "cooking score" of 3, so I was curious to find what made this place tick.
The Old School building makes for an imposing setting and the decor is pleasant. The service was pretty good, too, and friendly. The clientele seemed reassuringly Asian/Chinese from looking around us...
Both my partner and I enjoyed both our starters and our main courses - yes they were pretty spicy, which is a bit of a given here, I guess, in Sichuan cuisine and having read other reviews, but the cuisine was NOT at all "over-the-top" too hot.
However, three of our four dishes were very, very oily and rather over salted, too - in fact they were swimming in cooking oils - i.e. the minced dumpling starter, the spicy pork and veg emincé and whole grilled fish dish. The spicy flavours were generally good and enjoyable but the quantity of floating oil was rather off-putting.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 26 July 2016

I come here quite often with some chinese colleagues from work. The food is authentic, tasty and in my opinion, Very spicy. Lots of chillies but very good. Im a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy chillies but somehow cant stop eating all the delicious food. We have lots of dishes and all share on the rotating tables. Hard to choose a favourite dish.
Staff always seem friendly. can be very busy on the weekend and only have bottled beer. I expect i will be back soon.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

The staff were rather rude and like can't be bothered to serve us. The food was all spicy even though we have tried to order some that's not supposed to be spicy. The waiter collected cash from us and said he has given 10% discount to us by taking off the service charge. Not sure how true this is as its our first and last visit. Didn't feel welcome at all and asking for anything in this restaurant felt like owing them the world. Would definitely not recommended.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank JenMNG
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Been a long time customer here. This is almost as good as you can get in Sichuan, especially rare when you think lots of the raw material can'n be sourced here in UK. Full of flavour and the chef is certainly not cooking the Western-version of Chinese food.
Always enjoy coming here. And service is always good.

Date of visit: July 2016